What helped you get started?

Options
dinomomma
dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
Did you cut one thing at a time? What was your course of action?
A lot of the foods that people talk about eating on a clean diet aren't near me to buy, what have you done in those situations? Also I have a high calorie plan, how do you fit everything in while eating clean?

Replies

• BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I got started out of necessity. I was sick all the time and found out I have allergies to both dairy and gluten, and intolerances to both as well. After a while I was only eating lettuce wrapped meat because I had no idea what to eat! LOL. Clean eating is the best, tastiest way to get vital nutrients I need while avoiding the stuff I shouldn't eat. Top that with how I'm a vegetarian now and you'd think I was only eating carrots! LOL. But I have a very diverse and delicious selection of foods. Once you go clean, healthy foods start to look much better to you than the processed stuff and you start to crave things other than sugar and additives. It really is the only way to go, imho.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you are near a market with a deli and a produce section, you are able to eat clean. 100% positive of it. The only thing is, you gotta chop and cook for yourself which a lot of people feel is highly inconvenient. Try to avoid the microwave too. You don't wanna burn off the vital nutrients in the food by over cooking which happens all the time.
  • dinomomma
    Options
    I'm wondering how with just produce and meat I will meet my calories I guess.
  • radiantrox
    radiantrox Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can meet your caloric needs with clean eating by including whole grains in your diet, as long as they are not bleached or processed. I usually eat oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa.

I think what really got my eating into gear was living on my own and buying my own groceries. I was able to step away from the temptations from being at home with my mom and dad who don't always have the healthiest options in mind. Initially it was a gradual process, first cutting out soda, limiting added sugar (and its alternatives: aspartame, etc.), then eliminating white pasta/rice/bread.

I eat clean MOST of the time but there are definitely days where special occasions or circumstances arise where I can't. I try not to beat myself up about it as long as it's kept in moderation.

I hope this is helpful.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    To get your calories and continue to eat healthfully, include good fats in your cooking and meal preparations. Also, avocados are high in calories and fat (the good kinds). I could practically fulfill my entire calorie goal just on peanut butter because I love it so much! Chose full-fat, organic dairy products as well.

I have the opposite, yet similar problem. I can't seem to ever meet my "fats" goal but am often at or above my calorie goal of 1400 plus about 200 of my exercise calories.

In response to your original question...I think most people get started slowly. I didn't really just throw everything away and re-stock my entire pantry and fridge. I'm pretty sure I started with milk and then started shopping more carefully as I replaced items such as cereal, breads and snacks. Eventually I switched to about 75% organic produce and fruits.

My biggest (worst) non-clean indulgence was diet soda, which I've completely eliminated over the past two years. I also got rid of the splenda in my morning coffee about a year ago. Now I never use artificial sweeteners.

You'll get plenty of support and tips here...so you've done the BEST thing you can to get started!

Lib
  • dinomomma
    Options
    To get your calories and continue to eat healthfully, include good fats in your cooking and meal preparations. Also, avocados are high in calories and fat (the good kinds). I could practically fulfill my entire calorie goal just on peanut butter because I love it so much! Chose full-fat, organic dairy products as well.

I have the opposite, yet similar problem. I can't seem to ever meet my "fats" goal but am often at or above my calorie goal of 1400 plus about 200 of my exercise calories.

In response to your original question...I think most people get started slowly. I didn't really just throw everything away and re-stock my entire pantry and fridge. I'm pretty sure I started with milk and then started shopping more carefully as I replaced items such as cereal, breads and snacks. Eventually I switched to about 75% organic produce and fruits.

My biggest (worst) non-clean indulgence was diet soda, which I've completely eliminated over the past two years. I also got rid of the splenda in my morning coffee about a year ago. Now I never use artificial sweeteners.

You'll get plenty of support and tips here...so you've done the BEST thing you can to get started!

Lib
    Yes, this was what I was wondering, it seems overwhelming to ditch everything and start over.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's not an ALL-OR-NOTHING thing. Every healthy thing you do, is just that much better. Welcome!
  • Dionne132
    Dionne132 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead really helped me. I plan my meals for the week, prep (chop, measure, etc.), and store (usually freeze). It takes a couple hours but I'm on auto pilot for the rest of the week and don't have to worry about reaching for junk food.
  • Christina561
    Options
    Establishing a real foundation was what helped me get off the ground (and its lasted me)

I used The 4 Week Fitness Foundation (www.thefitnessfoundation)
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options

You can eat more the produce and meats. Dont forget about rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta/bread/bagels/tortillas/pizza shells, cheese, milk, yogurt, butter, coconut oil, olive oil....tons of options out there for clean eating.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Netflix ruined me. I first wanted to raise my own food cause I love animals but also love meat. I hate not knowing how the animals are treated and what they are fed. So I researched the places I was buying my meat from and have since slowly cut it out. Now I try to only buy from places that ethically treat and feed their animals.

I have also slowly been cutting out canned foods except for ones that do not use BPA. Also alot of glass jar lids have bpa and if you can your own stuff if they have white on the inside of lid they have bpa.

I switched from soda to kombucha. I started with store brands and now I brew my own at home. (if you want any recipes message me) Now I crave cold fizzy kombucha instead of soda.

I try to try a new veggie, grain or fruit at least once a week. I will pick something at the store that I have never had and then try to find a healthy recipe to cook it in. Like last week I tried golden beets, this week it is lentils. This make me educate myself on foods and keeps me from getting totally bored with food.

I still eat some junk in moderation, but I can feel a huge difference in my skin and hair now.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Did you cut one thing at a time? What was your course of action?
    A lot of the foods that people talk about eating on a clean diet aren't near me to buy, what have you done in those situations? Also I have a high calorie plan, how do you fit everything in while eating clean?

I've very slowly been eliminating processed foods (mainly snacks, since most of my meals are homemade) out of my diet. Just replacing them fresh fruits and veggies when I can. I've also taken to reading beyond the nutritional info and really reading the ingredients in the packaged foods I do buy. That has made a huge difference too.

It's not always easy to get fresh veggies in the winter time, but we have been going to our local whole foods store a lot of more and trying to buy fresh/local when we can afford it.

I think it's fairly easy to get the calories in with the whole grains, lean meats, and low-fat dairy. At least... I don't seem to have a problem with meeting my calorie goal! :laugh:
  • kitchenpenguin
    kitchenpenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of getting back with the program after a stress induced yo-yo relationship with convenience food this semester. My first step is breakfast because it really does lay a foundation for the rest of the day. I'm on week two of my modified Good Eats smoothie (4 oz Greek yogurt, 3 oz Pom, 1 medium banana, 6 oz Dole frozen fruit (pineapple, peach, mango, & strawberry), 6 oz Kirkland Triple Berry (blueberries, marionberries, & raspberries), 1 scoop of Tera's Whey organic blueberry protein powder, and 1 oz of ground chia seed). It can be difficult but you control what you can and make educated decisions when you're outside of your house.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

All food originates from produce and meat - even processed.

But to eat clean you need to buy those ingredients and make that food yoursefl, rather than buy it pre-made or canned or whatever.
  • thepinkpacker
    thepinkpacker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey I don't have problem hitting my calories. I started slow cutting out pop, diet stuff, and artificial sweeteners.

here is a good short read:

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/10_ways_to_eat_clean