Questions and Advice

Options
lizz2013
lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
This is the place to tell us about any clever tricks or advice you might have. Also, if you have any questions or are stuck on something then please ask here and the group will help you!

Replies

• zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have people ask me all the time "How did you lose all that weight" my honest answer is "Trial and Error". I had to find what worked for me. What worked for me in the beginning is not necessarily something that works for me now. Sure I can tell you exactly what I did, for how long and how long I maintained it. The challenges, difficulties and successes I had with each. BUT that does not mean in any shape way or form it will work for you, and something that works for you may not work at all for me.

Bottom line, find what works for you, if you try something and it doesn't work, cross that off the list and move on to the next thing. Don't give up!

Beyond that here are a few things

Don't be afraid to say "No" If you are afraid of hurting their feelings chances are they won't be, and if they are so insecure they must push food at you until you cave then obviously they don't care about your feelings so don't feel the need to care about theirs. Of course you don't have to come of mean about it, but be willing to defend yourself.

Starving children in Africa will still be starving whether or not you eat something. If someone says "Oh, one piece won't hurt you" I usually laugh and say "It would if I at something every time I heard that"

If you have trouble saying no to yourself ask yourself one of these
    -"Do I want to be happy now for a little bit, or happy later for longer?"
    -"Are that calories worth it?"
    -"Is there something better I can have?" This doesn't just mean like switching cake for veggies, make your calories worth it to YOU. I have stopped eating the company birthday cakes because I really am not a cake person, I would rather have a brownie, it would be much more worth the calories

I have said this many times before but: If you are eating something just because you don't want it to end up in the garbage, then guess what , you are treating your body as a garbage can, and you and your body deserve better!
  • lizz2013
    Options
    Fantastic post. Thank you so much for adding this. I'm sure there is a little something in there for everyone to learn from!!
  • lizz2013
    Options
    This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find this site very motivational!

https://www.facebook.com/HotFitnessGirls
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've got a question about the Birth Control pill. Since I've been back on the pill (Sept 2012) I've been steadily gaining weight and can't seem to get rid of it, never mind how hard I try and what I do! In the past I have specifically gone off the pill for exactly the same reason. I went on it for the first time about 16 years ago, gained a lot of weight and couldn't get rid of it. As soon as I've gone off it, I got rid of the weight. This was exactly my concerns when the doctor put me back on pill this time round. I mentioned this and she gave me the lightest one (whatever that means) that there is on the market.

So, I've decided to leave the pill and see if I can at least get rid of some of the weight. What do you girls think?
  • zentha1384
    Options
    I had two problems while on the pill, weight gain and lowered um... interest. I talked with my doctor and she recommend the Nuva Ring. I have been on it since November 2011, in that time i have lost all of my 94 lbs. What is also nice is it is only one thing per month vs a pill per day. You might want to check into this instead.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I can so relate to the lowered interest! Now that I'm on the bc pill, I don't need it any longer!!:laugh: :laugh:
    After my first encounter with the pill, I had an IUD implanted and that stayed there for a couple of years. It was supposed to last for up to 10 years. But, I got incredible period pains and heavy periods which would last for up to a week. Dr said I might have some endometriosis. Well, I've had it with the bc crap. I'm seriously considering permanent sterilization as I'm not planning to have kids and I am already 41 years old. It's hard enough to lose weight at this age, I don't need all sorts of hormonal nonsense to make it harder.
  • lizz2013
    Options
    I agree with you both. It is horrible not knowing if you are at a plateau because of the pill or because of something else, and when you lose 'interest' it makes you wonder why you're on it in the first place! I did some research into mine, Cerazette and everyone said they had no problems, but that certainly isn't the case for all of them. I've been told that the cause is an increase in appetite, but I dunno if that is true. Let us know if you find a solution :)
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a question...I don't know about you but I totally don't get the whole bmr thing..MFP has me set at 1250 calories for the day.
    I am on a high fat low carb diet,,which I don't know if that is the best either..I find most days I can't even get up to 1200 without going over my 30g of carbs for the day..I have lost inches,but weight has been coming off slower than I'd like it to..Do you just think counting calories is the best way to go..and if so should I just be eating 1250 aday?
    I am 39 years old
    5' 5"
    159 pounds......................Thanks:smile:
  • lizz2013
    Options
    The BMR is the basic amount of calories your body needs to stay in bed all day and maintain your weight. But even someone who works at home will burn more than that in a day, and then there is exercise as well.

So, the calorie suggestion is based on your bmr minus however many calories you want to lose per week. I'm guessing you set it to 2lbs loss a week? Unfortunately it is never as simple as all that and it will depend on a lot of other things, such as the quality of what you are eating (500 calories of ice cream vs 500 calories of fruit etc) if you've lost and gained weight in the past etc and many other things. I've been a yoyo dieter in the past so it is very difficult for me to lose weight because my metabolism is messed up. I'm like you, I lose inches, not pounds, but remember that that is still a positive response. And at the end of the day people don't notice your weight, they notice how you look. I focus on the tape measure now and try to ignore the scales as they can be misleading.

Can I ask, why are you on a high fat low carb diet? In my opinion it is just best to eat as cleanly and healthily as possible. That way you can stick to it in the long term and it is much more enjoyable. Also, if you're still hungry then that is probably your body telling you you are missing out on some nutrients..

I hope this helps and makes sense!
  • nana6799
    nana6799 Posts: 262
    Options
    I suggest you check these two mfp groups out, In Place of a Road Map, and Eat More To Lose More, lots of great information!
  • bootilicious
    bootilicious Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Same exact problem here!
  • zentha1384
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing Keto. If you want ideas for staying low carb www.reddit.com/r/keto should be able to help. I did it for awhile (staying under 20g per day and I was around 1200-1500 cals most days) . Mostly you just need to make sure you eat meat, avoid processed, it adds filler. Filler usually adds carbs. If you like to add sweetener try ez sweetz. It is the liquid version of splenda and has no carbs.

If you need more help feel free to add me as a friend or message me with questions.
  • lizz2013
    Options
    Zentha you have such extensive knowledge. You are a true treasure to this group :)
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank-you all for the info!! I will do some research and see what works best!!:smile:
  • zentha1384
    Options
    Zentha you have such extensive knowledge. You are a true treasure to this group :)

Awww thanks! Honestly share keeps me motivated, I don't want to let anyone down.
  • joannavuylsteke
    Options
    Since this group started, I was exercising everyday. I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and old injuries started to flare up. Now I'm limping around not sure what to do. I'm afraid to go back to the Y because I have a feeling I'll push myself too hard or get on the wrong machine and get hurt even worse. Any suggestions?
  • lizz2013
    Options
    So sorry to hear that injuries are flaring up again. Please take it easy until you feel stronger though. I ignored a pain and then couldn't exercise properly for months. Go for something low impact, depending on what the injury is? Maybe power walking or swimming? I'd say try to focus on healthy eating until you can go hard again so that it doesn't affect your weight loss.
  • zentha1384
    Options
    If it is really bad see your doctor see what they recommend. If it is something that happens often maybe look into a chiropractor to help, if it is muscle related yoga can really help with stretching and keeping from injuring muscles when doing other exercises.

Groupon often has great deals on yoga classes. YouTube has (or at least used to) 10 minutes solutions Yoga videos. There was 5 up each around 10 min that can help.
  • lizz2013
    Options
    If it is really bad see your doctor see what they recommend. If it is something that happens often maybe look into a chiropractor to help, if it is muscle related yoga can really help with stretching and keeping from injuring muscles when doing other exercises.

Groupon often has great deals on yoga classes. YouTube has (or at least used to) 10 minutes solutions Yoga videos. There was 5 up each around 10 min that can help.

I find Rodney Yee's yoga videos to be the best. Maybe the AM/PM videos would be best, preparing you for the day and soothing it at the end of the day
  • joannavuylsteke
    Options
    thank you so much everybody! I'll try some of your ideas :)