Quitting and need some help

Options
CJMommyof2
CJMommyof2 Posts: 49 Member
I have just started on my quitting smoking. I started yesterday and have only had one so far today which is a record for me since I smoked a pack a day. I started when I was 15 and only stopped when I was pregnant with my kids because I was in the hospital most of the pregnancy (extreme morning sickness). I have always hated the taste and the smell but the habit/addiction is so hard to stop. My work is very stressful and it is the hardest time for me to stop smoking. Any advice, anyone want to be my friend and motivator in the quitting journey? I really am serious about quitting and have only had 1 in 16 hours, which is amazing for me but I want to have zero. Please help!

Thanks

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I have just started on my quitting smoking. I started yesterday and have only had one so far today which is a record for me since I smoked a pack a day. I started when I was 15 and only stopped when I was pregnant with my kids because I was in the hospital most of the pregnancy (extreme morning sickness). I have always hated the taste and the smell but the habit/addiction is so hard to stop. My work is very stressful and it is the hardest time for me to stop smoking. Any advice, anyone want to be my friend and motivator in the quitting journey? I really am serious about quitting and have only had 1 in 16 hours, which is amazing for me but I want to have zero. Please help!

Thanks

I quit abut 20 years ago. I had quit many times before that. I started in the 4th or 5th grade, and started inhaling in the 6th grade. When I finally quit, I was smoking close to 3 packs per day. I would wake up in the middle of the night, light a smoke, choke it down, and go back to sleep. I always lit one off of another. I tried all the smoking cessation products available at the time. Nicotine gum, patches. One time I was successful by just not taking any cigarettes with me when my submarine went on patrol. That was 105 days of no cigarettes. I got back to shore, and lasted about another month before a roommate left a burning cigarette in an ashtray near me, and the smoke got me to finish his smoke, and run into town and buy a carton.

I finally quit by using substitution. I started chewing tobacco. Just a small pinch when I felt the need. I would suck on it until it was practically white. After 6 months of this, I was able to just stop chewing altogether. I don't recommend this process. Chewing is as bad if not worse than smoking for health effects.

I think if you substitute a good habit for the bad, you may be able to do the same thing. Feel the urge to smoke, go run, do pushups, situps, whatever. Don't go with the food rewards. That is another unhealthy way of doing it. You're on my FL. Just tap me when you want help, or need to talk about it.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I quit 7 months ago and started subbing real cigarettes with an e cig. For about a week, I used the e cig increasingly when i had cravings until i got to the point where I wasn't smoking real cigarettes at all. I spent about a week on the e cig and started running again (because I actually COULD bc I could BREATHE!) I found that running really helped me relieve all that stress that smoking had kept at bay. So, i started going for a run when I was hyped up over something or had a craving.

For a while there (first two months or so..) I really exercised like a beast. I kind of substituted smoking with running, lifting, whatever I could get my hands on. i think I was doing Insanity and 30 DS at the time.

I still have an e cig. On occasion i'll get drunk and have an urge. I haven't used it in probably....2 or 3 months?

ETA: I obviously agree with the "active" substitution. You're here to get fit, too, right? Go for a walk. Do some yoga. Find something that you enjoy that helps you relax and get rid of the stress that cigarettes used to help you deal with. And, I forgot. I smoked for 13 years. I have zero zero regrets about quitting. You can absolutely do this.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes about quitting in a different way. The key is to find the right combination that works for you. Any method you go about it- cold turkey, e-cigs, gum, patches, etc. is better than smoking!

I knew I wanted to quit cold turkey rather than getting nicotine via another avenue, whether it be e-cigs or patches. I am a rip that Band-aid off quickly kind of person, so once I was done with cigarettes I wanted to be done with nicotine. Leading up to my quit I read the Book “Easyway to Stop Smoking” by Allen Carr after reading about it online and it being endorsed by many former smokers. That book helped put my head in the right place. It called me out on all of my excuses as to why I hadn’t quit (Work is too stressful! I am a social smoker! I get so crabby if I don’t smoke!). By the time I reached the end, I was ready to quit. I did and haven’t picked up a cigarette since, and that was almost 10 months ago.

The actual physical nicotine addiction will be nipped in the bud in a few days. Your psychological addiction will be there for a very long time. If you don’t figure out an outlet for that part of the addiction, the quit will fail. For me it was a mind over matter thing. For others, e-cigs or patches or gum fills the void until they feel they can safely transition to no nicotine without reverting back to smoking.

Day 3 was the worst day for me when going cold turkey. Since then, it became better and better and easier and easier every day. After I got through that first week nicotine free I knew I was done for good as I did NOT want to have to go through that all over again.

You can do this. You just have to decide that from this moment forward, you are no longer a smoker. Not to get all Yoda on you, but “do or do not, there is no try.” Decide to stop smoking and follow through. You can do it.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes about quitting in a different way. The key is to find the right combination that works for you. Any method you go about it- cold turkey, e-cigs, gum, patches, etc. is better than smoking!

I knew I wanted to quit cold turkey rather than getting nicotine via another avenue, whether it be e-cigs or patches. I am a rip that Band-aid off quickly kind of person, so once I was done with cigarettes I wanted to be done with nicotine. Leading up to my quit I read the Book “Easyway to Stop Smoking” by Allen Carr after reading about it online and it being endorsed by many former smokers. That book helped put my head in the right place. It called me out on all of my excuses as to why I hadn’t quit (Work is too stressful! I am a social smoker! I get so crabby if I don’t smoke!). By the time I reached the end, I was ready to quit. I did and haven’t picked up a cigarette since, and that was almost 10 months ago.

The actual physical nicotine addiction will be nipped in the bud in a few days. Your psychological addiction will be there for a very long time. If you don’t figure out an outlet for that part of the addiction, the quit will fail. For me it was a mind over matter thing. For others, e-cigs or patches or gum fills the void until they feel they can safely transition to no nicotine without reverting back to smoking.

Day 3 was the worst day for me when going cold turkey. Since then, it became better and better and easier and easier every day. After I got through that first week nicotine free I knew I was done for good as I did NOT want to have to go through that all over again.

You can do this. You just have to decide that from this moment forward, you are no longer a smoker. Not to get all Yoda on you, but “do or do not, there is no try.” Decide to stop smoking and follow through. You can do it.

^^^THIS!!!

Same for me....read the book mentioned. So many lightbulbs went off in my head!

I am a 20 year / one pack per day smoker. Same as above, I quit cold turkey. I didn't want to rely on something else to eliminate my cravings because truth be told, you will still have them with a substitute. Then I'd be saying "see? I still crave a cigarette...this doesn't work!".

By going cold turkey I was able to just decide never to put another one to my lips, and tough it out. I warned my family that I was going to be difficult to deal with, and let me just say that HOLY COW!! I was a challenge to be around!!!!

I would NEVER let myself yearn for one or miss having one. I would replace those thoughts with 'thank God I am no longer a slave to that crutch"! etc. etc.

Day 2 was absolute HELL for me....I was a zombie for the first few days and I truly do not know how I even made it in to work. Not that I was very productive anyway....but I kept reminding myself that it would pass and I just needed to get through the day, and each day would be better. If I could suffer through on the short term, I would be done with it for the long term.

It has worked! I am coming up to 3 months smoke free....I still think about it occasionally, but I don't crave it. It DOES get better and it DOES get easy. You can do this!!!

I heard somewhere.....N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever! I used that a lot. And I was stubborn about it! LOL
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Last 2 replys are SPOT ON!

Smokers make far too many excuses. I'd reccommend reading the book too.

Benefits of smoking = NONE

Benefits of quitting = health, wealth, life!
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Please read this article which I have put on my blog. It's what can happen by not giving up.

This story should be read by every person who smokes. Why? Because it's true, it's about me. It is not a "please be sorry for me" story . It is a warning to YOU and a plea to do whatever it takes to stop smoking and so killing yourself. That’s what you’re doing, committing suicide in a particularly horrible and protracted way. Cigarettes are not known as coffin nails for nothing.

A few months back, I was in hospital having a cancer operation on my foot-the third in 2012. While I was there, the chest consultant who is monitoring my COPD gave me a check up and told me, again and more forcibly than ever, that I would be doing very well indeed if I see out another 4 years. If I do, I will be 70 which in today's environment is the new 50. I intend to get there because I rather like life and I can be a stubborn s*d. But if I don't, what a stupid waste of a life it will have been and which I had no right to put at such incredibly high risk. Risk? Absolute copper bottomed certainty, rather. My wife will be a widow in her early sixties. My two sons had every right to expect that I would be around for the formative years of their children. My daughter in law produced her first baby in November, a boy, and while I am no lover of little babies, I should have been sufficiently responsible with my life to give him or her a good few years as a paternal grandfather. I will not be around to see him go to secondary school. That is an absolute, unequivocal, certainty.
    And all this comes from being utterly and completely selfish- and stupid. I smoked for 40 years and it has destroyed my quality of life. It has also destroyed the quality of my wife’s life and that is utterly unforgivable. Believe me, there is absolutely no-one to blame except myself. I wish there were but I was certain it would never happen to me! Just like all of you smokers, in denial and lying to yourself and others about your daily cigarette consumption. You don’t think it will happen to you. It will. Be clear about it, it will.

I have been registered disabled with lower limb disabilities for some 25 years which, while very restricting in terms of mobility, has not been life limiting. Life changing, yes, life limiting, no. About 5 years ago, my wife couldn’t wake me up first thing in the morning and she telephoned for an ambulance. I was taken to the Intensive Care Unit because my respiratory system had completely shut down and I had rapidly become unconscious. There is no way of knowing how long I was in that state before my wife found me. In ICU, I remained unconscious for 48 hours, during which time my wife asked our minister pray over me as the hospital team were so uncertain as to my outcome. Fortunately I awoke and discovered tubes inside me via every possible orifice and I was plugged onto an oxygen tank. While I was unconscious, the ICU staff had started to pump out my lungs-a process that took 14 days. For the first 10 days the gunge being extracted was the colour and consistency of hot tar laid on road surfaces. Also while unconscious, because It was first thought I had advanced terminal lung cancer, I had extensive X Rays taken of my heart, lungs, brain and stomach. I was diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder-COPD for short. This covers Chronic Bronchitis (not to be confused with a cold going to the chest or a minor infection) and Emphysema. I had developed the latter.
    My smoking has destroyed 73% of my lung function and every time I get pneumonia or other chest infection, there is a risk of a little bit more function going. Since first writing this article in June 2012, I have had another two attacks of pneumonia and my lung function has reduced to 25%-a further loss of 2%. COPD itself won't kill me but illnesses arising from my lower resistance will. So far, since COPD was diagnosed, I have had pneumonia or similar 17 times with 6 hospital admittances. Every time I become ill in this way, I have to stop exercising for weeks on end and my fitness goes back to square one. It is a cycle. Get fitter→Get ill→Lose fitness→ Get fitter→Get ill→Lose fitness.
    Another effect of the COPD-which caused the respiratory system shutdown in the first place- is that while I was in shut down mode, my brain was starved of oxygen. X-rays showed cell damage and this has resulted in significant short term memory loss. Often the consequences of this make me look a prat which, of course, I am but I don't really want others to say it to my face and mean it.
    Let me give you some details of my day.

1. Because my breathing system is compromised, I have low oxygen circulation while I sleep. So I have developed Sleep Apnia. I wake at least 3 time per night. The sleep I get is very shallow and is far from restful. That means I drop off during the day, usually when it is least convenient. So I have to take energy tablets to do anything approaching exercise. But, as I take thyroxine which increases the metabolic rate, I have to space out when I take them as they too increase the metabolic rate. Too high a metabolic rate can over pressurise the heart of someone with pulmonary malfunction.
    2. As soon as I wake up for the final time -about 5.30am, I inhale steroids-this is to keep minor infection at bay. This will also be repeated last thing at night. I then also inhale( twice) from a bronchoinhaler which keeps the airways open for 24 hours at survival level followed by the first (of many) inhalations of the day of Ventolin to get a short term airways opening. 20 minutes is then spent doing deep breathing exercises. That routine allows me to get out of bed.
    3. A shower and shave takes 30 minutes and a further shot of Ventolin. Even so, I am breathless.
    4. Walking downstairs is OK. Walking upstairs is bad news.-I am breathless.-takes about 10 minutes to recover.
    5. Bending down to do up my shoes makes me breathless. More Ventolin.
    6 Walking to the car and putting on the seat belt makes me breathless. More Ventolin.
    7. I can't shop in the town centre because, although I have a blue badge, the no parking restrictions on double yellow lines have been extended to include disabled drivers. The nearest available parking is too far away from the shops to make it feasible to walk-It would take me at least 30 minute.
    8. Because my legs are disabled, I can't walk properly or painlessly. BUT I have to exercise to keep my lungs as efficient as I can make them. If I didn't, lung function would further diminish. “Use it or lose it”. So I gym. What I do at the gym in an hour, someone with good lungs could do in 15-20 minutes. 30 minutes at the most. As mentioned earlier, I have to stop exercise every time I get a chest infection, usually for weeks, and my fitness reverts. It is incredibly frustrating.
    9. When I park in the gym car park, I take a shot of Ventolin to help while I walk the 70 metres to the entrance. I stop 3 times to catch my breath. During my work out, I use the Ventolin inhaler at least 5 times.
    10. I take 45 minutes to cut our lawn with numerous Ventolin breaks. My wife takes 15! To dig the vegetable area takes me 2 days and my wife 4 hours.
    11 If I have a sniffle, sneeze or cough, I have to phone the GP as a matter of priority to get mega strong steroids and antibiotics. At present I'm prescribed antibiotics only in extremis because I was beginning to build up a resistance to them. The strong steroids do something to ones system that translates to huge weight gain for not much food. I'm now 7 stone heavier than I was 5 years ago.
    12. Most strong medicines have side effects. My saliva glands hardly work so I have to take in liquid frequently and I chew gum virtually full time. My skin is dry and flaky so have to moisturise and need to wash my hair daily. I retain water so I have to take a water tablet daily. There is also the weight issue mentioned above. The steroid powder causes oral thrush and over time rots the teeth. I have had 3 removed recently. One of the medications, I think it is the steroids, affects temperament. This manifests itself in easily provoked irritability.

Friends. COPD sucks big time and, (industrial causation apart which accounts for less than 5% of all cases) it is totally avoidable. COPD is a disease of choice. Choose to smoke, get COPD. If you smoke, stop. Stop, now. If you have a cigarette lit as you read this, stub it out and sling the packet away. Just bl**dy stop! I know it’s hard. It's an addiction-like heroin is to a drug addict, alcohol is to an alcoholic. It's so, so hard but you must do it. If not for yourself, then for your partner, parents, children, grandchildren. You do not have the right to deprive them of your life or to make yourself a burden on them when it is utterly avoidable.
    Every time you smoke a *kitten*, you damage your lungs. EVERY TIME. Every single regular smoker will have their health adversely affected-even smoking just 1 a day.
    Like alcoholics, you will always be a recovering addict. Just one *kitten* can put you back on them.
    Oh and by the way. Give up smoking and your partner might like kissing you more when you don't taste like an ash tray. Your clothes won't stink, you teeth and fingers won't get stained and here's some good news. Your libido gets better. Unless you have COPD. then the mind is willing but the flesh is so weak it can't do it!
    Here is a response I received at an showing of my message earlier this year. It can’t be much starker, can it?.
    “Thank you for your post Richard.

My dad died of throat cancer when he was 50 years old, choking on his own vomit. I'm sorry if this offends anyone - I know it paints a very graphic picture.

I was 11 years old. He didn't see me get married, or meet his grand-daughter. He wasn't there when a boy first broke my heart or to tell me I was wearing far too much make-up and wasn't "going out dressed like that" like all my friends' dads did.

We both missed out on so much and all for a cigarette.
    A mother with a daughter of her own”