Hip Pain with ATG Squats

Options
BurtHuttz
BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
Hi everyone :-) I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 and have fooled around with my squat until I had what seemed like a great low-bar squat.

However, the past two weeks, when I drop ATG, I notice a fairly sharp joint pain of some kind on the front part of my hip joint. I have hyperflexbility in some joints and I believe this may be related to that - is it possible to go too low? Is ATG not necessarily ideal?

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any mobility work to help loosen that area at all? Taso had shared a great link with me for hip mobility - agile 8 I think it is called. But it's on my crashed laptop so I don't have it anymore. Google Agile 8 and lots of links come up for it. :)
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Are you doing any mobility work to help loosen that area at all? Taso had shared a great link with me for hip mobility - agile 8 I think it is called. But it's on my crashed laptop so I don't have it anymore.

I stretch regularly but I almost think the problem is that I'm too flexible - - it almost feels like the bone is dislocating?

I've recently heard about Agile 8 elsewhere. Just like when buying Starting Strength - - I do what Jen tells me to do. I'll go find A8. :bigsmile:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I just started using the agile 8 this week.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If anyone has the agile 8 program handy, please link here.

Thanks!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    interested in discussion and agile 8
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    If anyone has the agile 8 program handy, please link here.

Thanks!

The Agile 8

1. Foam roll your IT band — Start just below your hip and roll up and down to your (outer) mid-thigh ten to fifteen times, focusing on any tight spots. Then perform ten to fifteen "rolls" starting at your (outer) mid-thigh and rolling all the way down to the outside of your knee. Again, focus on the tight areas.

2. Foam roll your adductors — Start just below the crease of your hip and roll up and down your (inner) mid-thigh ten to fifteen times, focusing on any tight spots. Then perform ten to fifteen "rolls" starting at your (inner) mid-thigh and rolling down to the inside of your knee. Again, focus on the tight areas.

3. Glute/piriformis myofacsial release with a tennis ball — Take the tennis ball and sit on one your left butt cheek with a slight tilt. Cross your left leg. Roll for 30 seconds or so. Switch cheeks and repeat. Feel free to cry.

4. Rollovers into "V" sits — Perform ten reps.*

5. Fire hydrant circles — Perform ten forward circles and ten backward circles with each leg.*

6. Mountain climbers — 20 total reps.*

7. Groiners — Perform ten reps. Hold the last rep for ten seconds. Make sure to push your knees out with your upper arms while dropping your butt down.*

8. Static hip flexor stretch — Perform 3 sets of 10 seconds on each leg. Complete all three sets on one side before moving to the other.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I had that problem before. I solved it after I learned how to use my hips to come out of the hole.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    how wide is your stance?
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Stance is a little wider than shoulder width. Feet about 30 degrees. I push my knees out as I go down. Fooling around with it in my chair here at work just to double check my mechanics, I can feel the joint pain when I open my knees wide. Is it possible that I'm pushing out too hard?

Fire_Rock, I'm not certain how I come out of the hole.

I'm planning to lift tonight so I'll see if I can make a video of my form.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I put these together when I was researching Agile 8. They won't fit in the MFP columns probably but if it's helpful you can right click and view image or save image as. Two 8.5x11" JPGs:

#1:
    JoeD-page-0_zps7744f9b1.jpg
    #2:
    JoeD-page-1_zps190983a6.jpg
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Try to pull the floor apart with your feet.

If you stand with your feet shoulder width apart with your hands on your hips and pull the floor apart, you'll feel your hip flexors fire. Do that at the bottom of the squat.

Disclaimer: the floor won't actually pull apart, unless you're on roids or creatine
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

If you stand with your feet shoulder width apart with your hands on your hips and pull the floor apart, you'll feel your hip flexors fire. Do that at the bottom of the squat.

Disclaimer: the floor won't actually pull apart, unless you're on roids or creatine

I found out the other day that there's creatine in my protein powder. I'm certain that by the end of summer my balls are going to be the size of robins eggs.

But also I just tried pulling the floor apart with unloaded squats and I see precisely what you mean - it seems to transfer load off of the hip joint somehow. I'll try this tonight, thank you.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luv_2_lift
    luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options

This. Just pushing the knees out instead of starting the spread at the feet can be the problem. It engages the entire hip complex, including glutes that might not otherwise fire. Spreading the floor, you'll be more stable and probably lift more, too.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Bump in the night.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Bump. Do 90% of the stuff anyways due to my running injury but a few things I could use. Also #3 could easily be done just as well on a foam roller.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Update - did Agile 8 last night before stronglifts. I found a lot of sore and tender spots that I really wish I had been working on for months rather than continuing to train with knots and problems!

I did my squats with the technique described here and while I feel lingering soreness from my previous work, pushing the floor apart with my feet made a significant improvement in my form (and capacity).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Update - did Agile 8 last night before stronglifts. I found a lot of sore and tender spots that I really wish I had been working on for months rather than continuing to train with knots and problems!

I did my squats with the technique described here and while I feel lingering soreness from my previous work, pushing the floor apart with my feet made a significant improvement in my form (and capacity).

Just bumping to see if your hip pain is any better now.
This discussion has been closed.