How heavy were you when you started?

Options
rissaloses
rissaloses Posts: 38 Member
How heavy were you when you started running? I've been thinking of running for quite some time and keep telling myself I want to drop more weight first. Quite a few of my MFP friends are doing C25K, some heavier than me (currently 249). I have a history of back, knee and ankle issues and thought losing some weight first would make it easier, but I think I may always push it off until "later" if I don't start soon.

Replies

• cdbarger
    cdbarger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was 219 when I started running in January. I just keep to a pretty slow jog, and have noticed that running on dirt trails is much easier on my knees than running on the street.

Give it a try and good luck!
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    264 POUNDS. I had a sore bum to start but it got better. Definately take the rest days the app suggests so you can recover. I started in november and now run 5 days a week.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I was about 290 when I started. I just graduated today---at 275.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was 205. On week 6 now. I refuse to get injured, so when my back/knee/feet hurt, I take an extra day, but I can feel less stress at 10lbs down.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started at 215 and ended in the 190's. I'm currently at 185. I attribute much of that to running.
  • racerchick31
    racerchick31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started at 268 =) I thought maybe I needed to wait to start but I'm soooo glad I didn't! =) I'm pretty slow but the feeling of being able to run for 30 minutes is awesome. I recently completed the c25k & plan on continuing my running to go further. I think I may do the c25k again and focus on my distance & speed this time. :)

Good Luck! You can do this!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was about 195 and 5'4". How tall are you?

Given your weight, and EPECIALLY given your knee and back problems: two things for you...I would definitely check with your doctor first. And, most important!!, get properly fitted at a running store that does gait analysis. If you don't know where, ask runners or triathletes that you know.

My highest weight was 250 (NOT pregnant), and I wasn't ready to start then. I was really worried about my knees. I probably could have started sooner than 195, though. I didn't really have problems with my knees, but they did pop and hurt some when I went on stairs or down hills. At 195, I didn't have those issues anymore.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was 164 lbs. Currently I am at 148.
  • dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started wanting to run at 230. I didn't actually start till a few weeks ago @ 215. I have been kickboxing and doing insanity at the same time so I havent been able to stick to the C25K as much as I would have liked. but I when I walk iItry to add in a bit of running... I know I'll get to where i can run for 30 min straight.
    I totally agree with getting good shoes. I havent done that yet and have gotten blisters and sore knees, I think getting shoes would improve those issues! GOOD LUCK... Go Ahead start now... You can do it!!!!!
  • jpinkhamvt
    jpinkhamvt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started at 258 pretty much my highest weight ever. The beauty of couch to 5k is that it truly eases you into it and really is great for weight loss because it provides interval workouts. My knees definitely barked back at me...but in the end how you feel over all is so worth it!!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I started at 269.3 pounds. The first week I gained weight making myself 270.7 pounds, but I think it was just muscle and water retention because I lost the same amount the week after.

I jog really slow though... I feel like I run in place sometimes, but I am nonetheless moving and doing it
  • Dom821
    Dom821 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I only started this week at 63kg. I'm hoping running will help me get rid of the last 3kgs :)
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I was 189lbs. Not sure about my weight now, maybe 3 lbs less.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I jog really slow though... I feel like I run in place sometimes, but I am nonetheless moving and doing it

LOL, there have been times when I've looked down at my feet to see if I was still running. :)
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I JUST started (I am week 2 Day 3 tomorrow) and I was 190lbs when I started. I am 188lbs now.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started a couple of weeks ago at 258. I was a few pounds lighter when I started in the fall and quit. I am confident that I can keep this up!
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How heavy were you when you started running? I've been thinking of running for quite some time and keep telling myself I want to drop more weight first. Quite a few of my MFP friends are doing C25K, some heavier than me (currently 249). I have a history of back, knee and ankle issues and thought losing some weight first would make it easier, but I think I may always push it off until "later" if I don't start soon.

I was 275 when I started, I thought I needed to lose more before I could do it but one day I just wanted to try it so I did and its awesome
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started at 211.64

I have finished C25K now at 205.03

I have started the C210K. I go slow but im doing it. Go at the pace your body allows you and not what your mind tells you.

The big thing I have found is that my mind set makes all the differance. I say to myself yes I can and I will instead of im not sure, I might not make it.

You dont have go to the next week until you are ready. Wk 6 took me about three weeks and that is ok because I was doing better each time.

The first day you start you will not look back unless you LET your mind tell you other wise.

Go for it....
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I started at 235lbs, I'm midway through week 3 and I've had foot,ankle & knee problems for the last couple of years. Luckily I have new orthotic inserts that have made a huge difference and am now able to walk with no pain and run with minimal issue. I also have exercise induced asthma & have just started using a puffer. Like someone else said, go slow, listen to your body & take extra days between runs if needed. This isn't a race. I often take off 2 days between runs.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started at 164 am now 158lbs. Just finished wk5. The 1st 1 or 2 weeks of c25k are more 'sweaty' than pounding on your feet however I think essential to start off with top running shoes,(maybe advice from your dr too would be sensible?). You could always build up by repeating any weeks you find tough (suggested in the plan) i think the only barrier to the plan is in the psyche!! It's one of the best things I've tried, and you can pace yourself to suit your own levels. Good luck