First 5k, please tell me your times!

Options
My first 5k ever will be in 3 weeks and I have no idea if I am slow or somewhere in the middle. Please, what was the final time of your first 5k?
My main goal is to finish it. That won´t be a problem, I have walked 5k a lot of times. But when I run I feel like a snail.

I started tracking distance/time for the first time today. But I didn´t run the whole 5k. I did w8d1 and with running/warm up/cool down I made 4.3km in 36 mins.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    26:44 on Jan 19th, 2013.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I finished the program, I was doing about 2.5 miles (4k) in the 30 minutes.

I ran my first race about a month later and ran the entire race while pushing a stroller in 40 minutes and some seconds. I even had to stop briefly at two intersections for traffic.

You will amaze yourself, Mrs. "I run three miles at 5am in a blizzard"
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I average at 11 minute miles, all depends on terrain. Anything from 30 to 37 minutes really.
    Try not to compare yourself to anyone else though its about how you do.
    And whatever the result you get you are already faster than 90%* of the country and of course your first 5km gives you chances to beat it and get pb's

*totally made that up based on thinking of how many people do nothing
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My first 5K where I ran the entire thing and didn't walk even once was last October. I finished in 37:22 and am extremely proud of that time. Unfortunately, I also stress fractured my hip and was reduced to crutches right before Christmas. :frown:

I'm ready to get back into it again as the weather gets better and will take the training a bit slower and listen to my body more this time around. I'm also over the whole "run the entire thing and don't ever walk" attitude I had earlier, lol.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    "Not walking" is really important to give you the confidence to, well, not walk while completing the 30 minute runs of the program. But, in the months following, I've discovered what an important training tool it is for running. Still feels like 'cheating' though. :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My first 5k after completing the program had a time of 35:40.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have just finished the C25K and my PB is 5km in 41.26sec. Im a 93kilos and I am now working on my times. I found it was about being able to finish the 5km not about speed. Once you can get to the 5km with out walking or stopping you can work on your time.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. I am kind of slow then. But at least I know it before, so I better start late not see everyone passing me.
    And it is still 3 weeks...
  • lcb88
    lcb88 Posts: 13
    Options
    First time I managed to do 5km it took me about 43 minutes and now it takes me 40 minutes to do it (that's including doing 10 minutes of it walking the warm up/cool down part of the programme).
  • KellieLouise84
    Options
    I ran 5k for the first time yesterday... Did it in 30mins 48seconds.
    Didn't use the c25k app tho..
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    man I am a turtle 59 min for my first 5 km race new years eve
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I sit on the same couch as Pet1127: I am a turtle.
    The first time I ran 5K without walking took me 50 minutes. I was thrilled to have just run 5K.
    That said, I haven't run an official race yet. I'm still running around the neighbourhood.
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I haven't run in a race, yet - I live in the middle of nowhere, so there are no races that don't involve a plane ride - but the first time I ever did 5k was in the last week of finishing the c25k program, and I did that in 31:54.
    I think I could take a few minutes off of that in a race environment.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Second 5K, 33:46....hehehe
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K race (as opposed to training) in 28:10. In my case, it helped that I had spent a fair amount of time training on hills and the course was flat and a little under true 5K distance. DO NOT WORRY about how your time compares to other peoples': we all start at different places, and persistence means a lot more in the end than how fast anyone is on their first attempt. It's entirely possible that I have freakishly long legs that helped me get my first 5K time -- or, if you trust my profile pic, I have 4 legs that got me there. :happy: Make your own goals and celebrate your victories. Congratulations on getting to your first 5K!
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k for fun with a group of friends and came in at 47 minutes. Since then I've started the c25k program and am curious to see how much that time improves upon the completion of this program.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    39.3 and was 119th out of 227 so I fit right in there.....
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    man I am a turtle 59 min for my first 5 km race new years eve

Thank you. I think this will be me in June when I "run" my first one.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I came in last at the first (and only) 5k I did and my time was about 49 minutes.

That being said, there are a lot of 5ks that have both runners and walkers. I thought this was one of them, in which case a 49 minute time would have meant I wasn't last LOL
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Did my first full 5k on a treadmill two nights ago in 39:45. Then repeated it tonight in 38:45. There's a upcoming 5k next Saturday that I might do. If so my goal will be under 40 but the real goal is to finish without walking.