Knee Pain?

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm really excited to be doing this squat challenge coming up soon but I first wanted to get some advice first.

I have an unstable knee cap from an old sports injury (about 12 years ago) and sometimes my knee can get painful but I rarely have any episodes where the knee pops out to the side (I think it's still resting on top of the femur most of the time) nor do I get a lot of pain in that area much anymore.

I've done squats and presses while doing Julian Michael's 30 day shred (currently on level 1) and the exercises have actually helped to strengthen the muscles around the knee (which has been wonderful). I know that if I follow the correct form, I'm alright.

My only concern is any sort of pain that would come from doing multiple squats at a time. I'm hoping to pace out my squats throughout the day. Other than that, I do have a knee brace I was given some time last year visiting the doctor. Should I use that while doing squats too? How about pain killers? Do you have any advice? All will be greatly welcome and appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I don't have quite the same issue you have but I have weaker knees and they get sore quickly. I have noticed that the longer I stick with an exercise the better it gets. For example, I started jogging 3Xs a week and for the first 3 weeks my knees killed me. On week 4 no more knee pain at all!!!

My suggestion would be for one to stick with it and two to try not to do too many reps all at one time. Perhaps, you can break it up throughout the entire day??
  • rachelsmith1989
    rachelsmith1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm thinking of breaking up the total squats to different spurts throughout the day, depending on my schedule.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Holdenke1
    Holdenke1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should see how it goes. If your knees don't get better after awhile, and the pain worsens, I'd be afraid you may be over doing it. Take it slow if you want to do the squat challenge. Good luck !
  • Romey5
    Romey5 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have chondromalacia in both my knees (pain behind the knee cap). A physical therapist told me to keep the muscles in the backs of my legs strong so that the knee cap stays aligned better. I do best with squats when I lean back a bit and keep most of my weight on my heels and off the front of my feet. Give it a shot, it might help!
  • granfinale
    granfinale Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am going to use my exercise ball on the wall to help me through my knee issues
  • Preesy
    Preesy Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a knee in pretty bad shape and I have to admit over the last few months it has become much stronger. I used to have issues squatting, climbing stairs, doing lunges (those are still a little bit of an issue) and basically any activity which required me to change altitudes of my butt! =) Walking was okay, the rest was a chore. I would suggest taking it slow, and only do what you can. Keep proper form at all costs and for heaven sake stop if you feel pain. I think that with time your knees will continue to get stronger and not be as troublesome.

If you really are concerned, perhaps contact your doctor's office and see if they'd warn you against the squats.