Weight Loss

Options
baileyt1
baileyt1 Posts: 49 Member
Those who struggle with weight loss, tell me about what is the biggest struggle for you.

Those who have overcome this please tell us what you did and how you overcame your obstacle.

Replies

• Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think I will always struggle with weight loss. Why is it so much harder to lose then to gain? Sigh. I think my biggest challenge is the simple fact that I LOVE food, especially sweets and although I feel great after a good workout finding time is often a challenge. That said this time around seems somewhat easier then times I have tried before I'm not exactly sure WHY but I can pinpoint somethings that have certainly helped as well as some obstacles that still exist:

Helped:
    Replacing Sweets with Better Sweets (Skinny Cow for Ben & Jerrys) = Not Feeling Deprived.
    Replacing My Mindset (Habit for Diet) = Not waiting for this "Diet" to be over and accepting lifestyle changes
    WorkOut Schedule (Lunch vs Finding Time) = No Excuse Not to Do it
    Joining a Gym (vs Home Workouts) = Pressure to Show Up and Get it Done
    Planning more Active Family Activities = Everyone is up and MOVING

Obstacles:
    When the Husband Cooks he doesn't replace things with Heathy Options (e.g., Mayo on My Hamburger :noway: )
    Eating Out as Most of My Familys Favorite Places don't list calories
    Busy Schedule Makes it hard not to go the Easy Route sometimes
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    We all struggle.... hence us being on here. It's the overcoming, finding the tips/tricks and the support that MFP peeps give that is so awesome!!

I agree with Mommybug2 - in fact I copied some of her info. :flowerforyou:

Tips/Tricks:
    Replacing Sweets with Better Sweets (Skinny Cow for Ben & Jerrys) = Not Feeling Deprived. - This is KEY for me!! Or just eating your favs in moderation... you can have anything you want .... in moderation!!

Replacing My Mindset (Diet vs. Lifestyle) = Not waiting for this "Diet" to be over and accepting lifestyle changes... you have to decide this is what you want - to be healthy-er. That's not to say you can't splurge but when is up to you.... you have to be accountable for YOUR actions!

WorkOut Schedule (Lunch vs Finding Time) = No Excuse Not to Do it - this would be my BIGGEST tip for anyone - it's a little tough love-ish .... JUST DO IT!!! Don't think about it... once you've set your schedule up for the week JUST DO IT!! Don't let it be an option. I go thru my schedule on Sunday... see when I can fit it in and BOOM - it's set. I don't think about it anymore.

Obstacles:
    When the Husband Cooks he doesn't replace things with Heathy Options (e.g., Mayo on My Hamburger) - FOR SURE!!! we love to cook and Hubby isn't as health minded as I am.... so when he fixes dinner - which I love when he does - but then I have to guess at how many calories I ate.

Eating Out as Most of My Familys Favorite Places don't list calories - Nor do they care to!!! On these days I just limit my intake before we go out and hope for the best. Can't get too hung up on what you can' control!
  • ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The question which always haunted me and still haunts me is -

Am I doing the right thing? ( Even during a very good workout session)
    Can I do it better?
    Am I eating right? Is it adequate or am I overindulging?
  • JaimeMWS
    JaimeMWS Posts: 36
    Options
    Like others, I love food and enjoy eating out, and it is pretty much guessing how many calories are in restaurant meals - even something simple like a salad. My current theory is I will go with my best guess even knowing that it is unlikely to be accurate, because I know that if I stop tracking I will regain weight.

Fatigue sabotages me. I just got back from an out-of-state conference, and the combination of eating airport and restaurant meals, no exercise, lack of sleep, and stressful social context, overcame my willpower. But it was only a couple of days, so I know in the long run it won't hurt me if I get back on track now I'm home.
  • baileyt1
    baileyt1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What do you think makes you the most successful despite all the struggles. I'm trying to help other woman be more successful, and I want to see what things work best ;-)
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My top three are the key for me:

No Deprivation - Allow Cheats (in moderation), Find healthier alternatives to fullfill your cravings.

WorkOut Schedule - No Excuses. Treat it as you do your job, after all you wouldn't call off work simply because you "don't feel like it"

Replacing My Mindset (Habit for Diet) - When you make healthier choices it really does become habit.

What surprised me most is how certain things that I used to love (Pop, Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal) now taste horrible and WAY too sweet. I gave them up for better choices (Flavored Water, Plain Oatmeal with 2tbs Brown Sugar). Last week I ran out of Plain Oatmeal so I grabbed one of my Maple/Brown Sugar instant oats and it was HORRIBLE, I seriously couldn't eat it. It was soo sweet I just had to throw it out.
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    The hardest bad habit I've had to change is making sure that I eat enough (satisfying, healthy food) so that I don't get too hungry in the late afternoon. I've discovered that if I eat a large lunch that takes up about 40% of my entire calories, I do really well feeling satisfied and don't snack much. This is huge for me. Maybe it's my Italian roots?
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm - I'm an emotional eater. Trying to change has been pretty hard! I still am one, but try to eat an apple or some Greek Yogurt with strawberries instead of CHOCOLATE! :blushing: Alot of the stress will change this fall, so, I'm hoping it will get better then.