visit to my doctor!

Options
sue2328
sue2328 Posts: 22 Member
for the first time in 10 years as a T2 diabetic I actually looked forward to seeing my GP for my annual diabetic check up.

Weight loss - 25lb
BG down from 12 to 6.1
BP down from 135/82 to 122/78
Cholesterol down from 4.5 to 3.5
waist measurement down 6cm

he was stunned - I have previously tried just about every diet going but never managed to lose much weight or keep my blood sugars down.
I do have to go back in 3 months for repeat blood tests as he couldn't believe the results but he has reduced my medication.

I am over the moon - finally something is working.

thank you everyone - the advice and support on here is amazing and has kept me going over the last 3 months. I now don't miss the carbs (much!) - the feeling of well being more than makes up for a slice of bread.

low carb lifestyle for me

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This must be a HUGE relief for you.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Well done. One of the benefits of low carb living is how exciting it is to get blood work. LOL
  • sue2328
    sue2328 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well done. One of the benefits of low carb living is how exciting it is to get blood work. LOL

I have had a stupid grin on my face all day - and was found in the office singing and dancing, I thought it was only about weight loss! Feeling the best I have in years.

Why is this diet so frowned upon by most in the medical field.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    maybe doctors would be out of work if we all were healthier? it is bizarre!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

I haven't been able to figure that out either - I just don't see how you can argue with success.

Actually, my doctor doesn't argue with me at all about my diet and the endo is 100% on board. The CDE/RD was appalled and every now and then I think about going to another class just to say "Boo yah! Neener neener neener!" ;-P

Big congrats to you!
  • deeschange
    deeschange Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for job well done
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

I haven't been able to figure that out either - I just don't see how you can argue with success.

Actually, my doctor doesn't argue with me at all about my diet and the endo is 100% on board. The CDE/RD was appalled and every now and then I think about going to another class just to say "Boo yah! Neener neener neener!" ;-P

Big congrats to you!
    The diet is frowned upon for a few reasons:

Every medical school accepts and teaches both the lipid hypothesis and the diet-heart hypothesis as if they were proven - yet after decades of research, they've never been proven - and the evidence is actually to the negative. There is no school I know of yet that teaches otherwise.

So medical doctors are entrenched in the "saturated-fat and cholesterol are bad", "complex carbohydrates are good" dogma, because it's what they were taught.

Also - and most people don't realize this - but doctors study very little nutrition (my medical school taught ~ 20 hours worth) and as such, they rely upon registered dieticians for advice and dietary recommendations.

What many physicians don't realize, however, is that dieticians are not taught nutritional truths when it comes to diabetes diets (they are also taught the lipid and diet-heart hypotheses), and their recommendations on dietary management of diabetes comes straight from organizations who's primary funding is from pharmaceutical and processed food companies - not from a scientific, evidence-based analysis.

I had to revisit everything I'd been taught in order to adopt a ketogenic diet. Any medical doctor currently endorsing a very-low-carb diet approach for diabetes management has had to do serious research and re-thinking before adopting that stance for their clinical practice.
  • Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Awesome results!
  • hedgehogia
    hedgehogia Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How great! You are extending you life!!!'
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options

I have had a stupid grin on my face all day - and was found in the office singing and dancing, I thought it was only about weight loss! Feeling the best I have in years.

lol, congratulations!

The doctors / medical community is brainwashed to believe
    that they must diagnose everyone with a disease,
    they can't make money on healthy people,
    and any problem can be fixed with medications. Healthy is not in a doctor's vocabulary.
    Diet is something they don't do, that is the job of a Registered Dietician.

Doctors do not take nutrition or exercise classes to get their medical licenses after 12 years of training!

Never trust a doctor. They are ignorant on how to be healthy.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Any medical doctor currently endorsing a very-low-carb diet approach for diabetes management has had to do serious research and re-thinking before adopting that stance for their clinical practice.
    I am unbelievably blessed to have my doctor. When he diagnosed me as diabetic he recommended the South Beach diet and told me NOT to go on the "diabetic" diet. He never suggested or sent me to a dietician. He told me that his diabetic patients who ate low carb were the only patients he didn't have to prescribe more and more medication for. Later, when South Beach just wasn't working for me he handed me a keto diet. I have since adjusted the keto diet to fit me better based on what is working and my own research. I've increased the fat significantly and added more variety of food without increasing the carbs much. It's still keto.