Body Image self test

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I scored 23, which means I need to relax, meditate, exercise and move through fear into freedom!!

hallelujah!! :bigsmile:
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My score depressed me which means when I get off work I'm going to drink, which means I'll gain more weight, which means my score will go up.....ARGH someone stop this insanity!!!! :smile:
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I scored a 30 and am happy that I can now justify the cost of a massage. ;)
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I only scored a 15? I thought I liked myself more than that. haha. Well, except for when I came back from vacation having gained a lot of weight!

Edit: oh... I just realized it scores the other way. :blushing:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can't believe the responses on here either.

Yeah, but body image is not about just looking great. It's about feeling good about yourself. Even if your body is not perfect, you still can feel good about yourself knowing you are doing what it will take to get your health and body in line. There was a question that asked about how you feel about yourself when you look at magazines. I clicked "never" because that doesn't bother me. I know I'll never look like those airbrushed women and I'm ok with that so it doesn't bother me.

There was another question about how you feel when you are at a gathering with people you don't know. That's definitely a worry for me because most of the time if I'm at a gathering where I don't know anyone it's something fitness related and all the women are half my size. Afterward, when they've seen how much I can lift or run people accept me but there's always that initial stress beforehand of saying hi and getting that "up and down body check" that really says "what is this fat girl doing here?" I look forward to the say when that kind of thing doesn't bother me anymore.
  • baraccus
    baraccus Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I scored a 10 haha, right on the line!

The only reason I scored this is because I'm proud of what I'm doing and feel joy more than I feel upset when I look in the mirror :) and I've never worried about my appearance in a sexual situation cause if we are that far it's all good ;p
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I scored a 22 but given my general anxiety disorder I don't feel it's an accurate representation of my thoughts.
  • smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You have scored 55 points.
    SCORE 40+
    You are suffering from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) which is translated as body hatred.

:ohwell: Yup...
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    37, which I think is probably a bit over-inflated by being sick for the best part of a month and aware I have consequently put weight back on. :angry:
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I scored 13 points.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    You have scored 65 points.

SCORE 40+

You are suffering from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) which is translated as body hatred. This is not a reflection of how you actually look or how other people see you, because there are very many people who have physical handicap, or, who look different from the norm. But they do not feel this badly about themselves. Similarly there are people who look very normal in reality but they experience this sense of deep hostility toward the way they look. BDD and a damaged sense of self-esteem go hand in hand.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Very interesting scores across the board. I gave it more thought as to why I scored what I did and though I still think I scored a little too low, I expected it to be higher, it makes sense. In certain situations I don't care who sees me, like for an example a fitness class with a bunch of fit men and women. While in others, like in a dating type of an environment, I'd be more self-conscious of myself.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tag for later
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You have scored 70 points.

SCORE 40+

You are suffering from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) which is translated as body hatred.

Yup. That's why I'm here.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You have scored 8 points.

SCORE 0-10

Congratulations! You have a good body image and an excellent self-esteem. As a result of this, you are at peace with yourself.

You probably feel, correctly, that other things are important in determining how you are to feel about yourself. Be aware however, that people around you may not share similar feelings of self-acceptance. If anything, you will need to guard against being insensitive about how other people feel about the way they think they look, because a healthy body concept has very little to do with the reality of personal appearance, it is more a reflection of how they feel about themselves inside.

In today’s image-conscious society, many people, no matter how successful or attractive they are, have distorted feelings about their size, shape, and appearance which affect their ability to lead a normal life. Take care, therefore, not to tease or make unguarded comments that might hurt the people you care for. And continue to enjoy your life without letting body feelings get in the way.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Even though these kinds of quizzes are kind of fun and I usually take them (and I have a gender one I might post if I can find it) I also hate them : ( Am I weird? What do I think? How do I feel? Do I measure up to the shadow ideal?

Edit: "Are you turning boys off?" "Are you one of the boys?" and "Should you call him?" Are current seventeen magazine quiz titles. This makes me sad.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Scoed 19.

I think I have a good body image of myself, I think it's realistic, and I'm pleased with how I look. I certainly feel that I am at the best condition I've ever been in since my teens, and I feel comfortable in comparison with those around me (well, those within 20 years of my age). Not the best, but far from the worst. I feel that in light of the genetic hand I've been dealt, I'm not ideal, but really, just fine, thanks.

But I don't think my body is perfect... isn't that a healthy perspective?

I would think that answering most of those questions with "always" would be crazy, as in thinking of yourself as too perfect - which is also kinda un-realistic - unless of course you're one of the seven supermodels they mention at the beginning of the test.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few of the comments on the main thread and someone made a point to which I can relate. 170 pounds ago I didn't think I looked that bad. I knew I was overweight but appearance-wise, I thought 30 or 40 pounds and I'll look a whole lot better. No problem and I rarely lacked confidence in my appearance.

Now, I am certain I look a lot better but I just don't trust my judgement and I don't trust the people around me to be honest with me. When I look in the mirror and like what I see a little voice creeps in and says "you liked what you saw before too." When others tell me, "you're looking great. keep it up" I think, these people were saying that when I lost 15 pounds. I sure as hell didn't look great after a 15-pound loss. You see people post significant losses in the Success Stories forum. The people look a lot better but often times still look far from great and then you see the replies. You can't believe the responses on here either.

I can relate to this having lost 85 lbs... and debating to lose 15 more. For me, I know with 100% certainty I look a lot better, but sometimes I still see fat Kim when I look in the mirror and become critical of parts of me that still need some work. IE why do I have to have inner thigh flab, my arms have some flab, god I need a tummy tuck.... but I wouldn't trade this flab for the huge fat I used to have ;) I consider myself average in size, I consider myself good looking... when I put something on, I own it... and you will never hear me asking 'do I look ok in this' but I think when you are overweight you think 'awe a few lbs and I will be set' but you just become a bit more judgemental.. I could be wrong!

ETA: I still get people saying 'wow you have lost more weight' when infact I have gained a few lbs/maintained since last August. Christine said it well, it comes down to accepting you, how you feel about yourself, and what makes you comfortable weight wise, etc. Noone can do that for you.