Recommend me a CO2 pump...

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
I'm trying to downsize the amount of 'crap' I carry with me when I ride, so rather than riding with a hand pump, I'm looking at buying a CO2 pump & cartridges.

Does anyone have one that they would recommend (& why?)

Thanks in advance :wink:

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'll look at mine when I get home. It's nice. Small and able to control the flow of CO2 well so you can get started, stop and then inflate to pressure.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I use the Bontrager one with the 16g cartridges. I've had two punctures in past six weeks. I find one cartridge is enough for my 700C tyres. Put about 80-90PSI in. Not as much I would with my track pump. I usually run with 110PSI, but, enough to get me home.

As sods law would have it the puncture I got on Saturday was 45K from home.

Why do I recommend it, its only one I've ever used, no comparisons, never let me down.
  • coachlevi
    coachlevi Posts: 16
    Options
    I recommend getting one from Genuine Innovations. Their Ultraflate Plus is pretty awesome and only about $15. (Want to get fancy, they have a new one called the Proflate Elite.) They work perfectly, have all the features and compatibility you could ask for, and they've never let me down, unlike some other brands.

I haven't tried the Lezyne inflators though. Their tools are beautiful and nice to hold, but I haven't used them "in the trenches" so I can't recommend for or against them.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    After three punctures in a day last year,I threw in towel and bought Gatorskin tires. No flats in over 2,000 miles since then, including some rides where nearly everyone was puncturing. (But I do carry a tube and cheap CO2 kit, becasue Murphy.)
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use Gennuine Innovations stuff.
    16g cartridges in every saddle bag.
    I use Nanos on the MTB as well as having a pump/cart combination in the bag for when I need a bag (which means longer distance stuff)
    I've got some other one in the commuters bag.

The Nano and the pump seem to be all or nothing, while the one I have on the commuter is controlled by a button press.

I've only had to use the pump and the nanos before though.

Only thing to watch out for is that CO2 escapes cold (why you never hold the funnel on a CO2 fire extinguisher) for your hands get one of the plastic sleeves or always way long fignered gloves. For presta valves, they're going to freeze so as soon as the cart is empty you need to get it removed and force the pin down. Never tried with Schraders but can immagine the spring being frozen open letting all that gas straight back out. :-S
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I'll share with you what the guy at my local bike shop said, which was to buy a decent mini-pump and a couple of inner tubes rather than a pump and CO2 cannister.

The reason being, you get a puncture, you use the CO" tube and ride on - OK, but if you catch another puncture and you are out of CO2, you will need a mobile phone and a good friend, whereas if you have a pump and tubes you can continue your ride.

CO2 he said was good for one-off racing events rather than touring or commuting.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'll share with you what the guy at my local bike shop said, which was to buy a decent mini-pump and a couple of inner tubes rather than a pump and CO2 cannister.

The reason being, you get a puncture, you use the CO" tube and ride on - OK, but if you catch another puncture and you are out of CO2, you will need a mobile phone and a good friend, whereas if you have a pump and tubes you can continue your ride.

CO2 he said was good for one-off racing events rather than touring or commuting.

As a commuter and Randonneur, I agree about having more than just a single shot of CO2.

I can't remember the name or brand of CO2 pump that I have on my road bike but it is both a hand pump and a CO2 pump. I have had to use the pump and really liked the fact I can use the hand pump to test and seat the tube. Then deflate the tube and hit it with the CO2. The pump does allow me to control the release of the CO2, not so much the flow but the when of the release. I'll try to find the name on the pump later and let you know.

My Commuter bike has a hand-pump but I can only get 70psi worth of air pumped with it but that is all I need on that bike.
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Decathlon do a good one that is also a mini pump...you can get some air in with the mini pump and top up with the CO2