Issues with Lunges and Deadlifts

Options
Hi - I am halfway through Part 1, and I am having problems with deadlifts and lunges.

For deadlifts - it's not the weight, it's the pulling on my low back. I bend my knees when I lift, I squat as best I can, and no matter what I feel a tight constant pull on my low back, and it's scary because I do have back issues (or have in the past). Anyone else have this issue or suggestions on how to fix?

As for lunges... I cannot get my knee close to the ground. No matter what I do, my knee will not go further than 5-8 inches away from the floor. My quads are strong, my hammies are too... what gives? What can I do to improve?

Any advice appreciated!

Thx :o)

Replies

• MotherGoddess
    MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, being fairly new to lifting myself. But here's my 2c if you'd like it. For the deadlifts, it is definitely an exercise that works the low back. You should feel it through your hammies and glutes too, but you will also feel it in your low back. When I first started deadlifts, my low back would have a lot more DOMS then my legs and butt, but I did a lot of research on form and decided that I was doing it correctly, just that my back muscles were my weakest link in determining the amount of weight I could pull. Now when I do deadlifts I'm pretty equally sore through my back, glutes and hammies the next day, and it's gone by the day after that. If you have back issues to begin with I would be extra cautious with the amount of weight you deadlift, but feeling it in your back does not necessarily mean you're doing it wrong.

For the lunges it sounds like it might be a range of motion issue. I try to put in a good 15 minutes of stretching after a work out and concentrate on your quads, hammies, calves and ankles should help you get into a deeper squat.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am halfway through Part 1, and I am having problems with deadlifts and lunges.

For deadlifts - it's not the weight, it's the pulling on my low back. I bend my knees when I lift, I squat as best I can, and no matter what I feel a tight constant pull on my low back, and it's scary because I do have back issues (or have in the past). Anyone else have this issue or suggestions on how to fix?

As for lunges... I cannot get my knee close to the ground. No matter what I do, my knee will not go further than 5-8 inches away from the floor. My quads are strong, my hammies are too... what gives? What can I do to improve?

Any advice appreciated!

Thx :o)

I have low back problems, so I've dealt with form issues and soreness after deadlifting more than I would like to. For me, I have a tendency to round my low back as I rise and then pull it back in at the top, so I've had to use less weight than my arms and legs want in order to protect my back. I feel the same tightness as I lift if I'm using too much weight. I focus on keeping the natural curve in my back as I lift, which helps, but if I'm using too much weight for my back, it's a fight I can't win. All I can suggest to you is to use less weight and focus on keeping the natural curve in your back as you ascend and descend. It will get better. I started at 135lbs originally, but my back was too sore and my form was terrible, so I dropped down to 85lbs. I'm back up to 110lbs (3 sets of 10), but I'm super careful about adding weight.

I also struggle to get my knee down on lunges. I stretch my quads during the rest periods and they've gotten better. Are you stepping forward enough? Your legs may be too close together.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing deadlifts this week.. On wednesday, I just focused on the form and felt the soreness in my lower back on Thursday, but it wasn't too bad. Yesterday I decided to do some proper sets (30kg) and god< my entire back is sore today. The guy at the gym who was spotting me (works at the gym) said my form was fine, I just need to work on working my legs better. Which is true, because my legs are absolutely fine right now, just my back, shoulders and arms (and fingers!) screaming in pain.

I've been told that to take the pressure off my lower back when doing DL's, try to go back further on your heels (whilst keeping feet flat on the ground), drop your bum, get your quads as parallel to the floor as you can, a bit like squats. That way they should work your legs better AND take some pressure off the back. Definitely something I need to work on, because I don't like this soreness in my back! But I assume that I've never truly used my back muscles like this before, so could be why it's affecting me more.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, and would caution you to not push too hard on deadlifts until you figure it out.

My best guess is that you have flexibility issues. Maybe some yoga, foam rolling and targeted stretching will help over time?
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who is scared of my back during DLs! Thank you OP for posting, and to everyone who confirmed what I thought was the right thing. Focus on form, go slow on weights, dig in with heels and drop it low like a squat!