Group

Options
LizPlus
LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
Hi There,
I know we have some wonderful people in this group, would love to hear how each one is doing so we can support one another as we go thru the weight loss process, also how you are doing with the Fibro, Chronic Pain...or whatever your health issues are.
:smile: Hope to hear from you and looking forward to being there for you.

:flowerforyou:
Take Care All XXX

Replies

• mumnpets
    mumnpets Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I’m doing ok with the healthy eating and have been on MFP for 25 days. I usually manage to stick to a healthy eating plan for about a month then life throws something at me and i falter and give up, but this time with everyone’s support i hope to break this habit.
    I have had Fibro for 28 years and during that time have tried lots of different meds of which the most helpful has been Gabapentin and Nortriptaline without these i don’t get much restful sleep, I also take co-codamol and have trigger point injections in my lower back. I find that my Fibro is worse after prolonged inactivity but sometimes the exhaustion is overwhelming and stops me doing anything. Walking is my favourite activity I enjoy going out into the Derbyshire Peak District, if we do a 5 mile walk it can take 2-3 days to recover but I accept this as part and parcel of my illness.
    I do 1 day voluntary work a week at my sisters dog grooming salon bathing and grooming, this helps me keep my hand in work and helps my sister with her business, it can be very exhausting and makes my muscles really ache but I enjoy working with the dogs.
    For the last 3 years I have been a carer for my daughter who is 21 and has ME and other health issues so lots of hospital appointments.
    Take Care everyone x x
  • shreck05
    shreck05 Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Friends! I believe I am doing well as far as logging my calories on MFP. Finding this site by accident on my cell phone was the best thing that phone has done for me. :laugh: I started back in January and found wonderful Fibro friends. I was diagnosed back in 2011 which I quit my job also. I was very fortunate for my husband supporting me, actually it was his decision but then I pursued disability there after. My meds are always something new. I have done the injections on and off. I had an injection recently in my hip but once again it didn't last long, 3 weeks at the most. My insurance won't pay for reoccuring injections. My life has been turned upside from this. I loved working outside of my home. I played softball plus coached softball for my daughters team. I miss all of this. The guilt and depression is just as bad as the pain but I am managing everything right now. I am looking forward to the warm weather. That is when I feel at my best. Spring is around the corner. :happy:

Thank you for being supportive. I need friends who understand. Lord knows people don't.

Dena:flowerforyou:
  • LizPlus
    Options
    So good to hear from you :happy:

Hi Mumnpets, You have had Fibro for a long time, do you find it flaring worse as you get older, or does the weather effect it very much..it is both for me...The med's are always a gamble I find..will or wont it work...but one needs to keep trying or the pain especially will take over..it is a wonderful thing you do helping your sister at her grooming place..I imagine you are a great help to her..taking care of your daughter is hard with your Fibro I imagine..but that's what mom's do..take care of our children above all else.

Hi Shreck...So nice to hear your story..I also gave up work about 8 yrs ago....I just could not do it anymore..mentally & physically...
    I have appreciated your support on here and with my issues at home..It must have been fun being a coach for your daughters team...my hubby coached mens & womens softball teams....we both enjoyed the being out doors and being with our friends..but that was loooong ago...Yes it will be soooo wonderful when the weather changes..flowers growing...the smell of newly mowed grass..can go out without double layers on.
    I am 57 yrs old ..has had fibro for 8 looong years..I am a homebuddy..I go out only when I need to, it is so tiring after the trip, mentally and body wise..I even gave up putting makeup on except once and awhile...I just go on.. one day at a time..I do not *plan* things anymore..it usually gets cancelled...I have 2 wonderful grandsons..6 & 12..they are my sunshine!!:heart:

I hope some others will come on and join us in supporting and being with us.

Have a sunshiny day Ladies, Take Care :smile:
  • mumnpets
    Options
    Hi LizPlus,
    yes the winter weather always makes my fibro worse and also getting older i find i cant do as much as i used to.
    Hi shreck5,
    I'm with you on the not planning anything, i never promise to do anything as i never know from day to day how im going to be.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jaimierayner
    Options
    Hi, I'm just sooo pleased to find some more women in my situation! I've looked for local support groups but they are all at least an hours drive from me which is fine if I plan to do nothing else for the rest of the week but not very practical!

I've been working with a lady who is a trained physio and nutrionist but has also suffered from fibro. She has found that taking wheat, alcohol, sugar and potatoes out of the diet has illiminated her pain. She aslo suggests a whole heap of vitamins and suggests that most sufferers have a vit D defficiency.

Well I have been on the diet since May and was feeling sooo much better but the cold weather this winter seems to have triggered of the pain again - very frustrating!! I'm desperate to lose some weight but find I'm so exhausted from doing the daily essentials with the kids, work etc that I don't feel up to starting exercise - any suggestions?

(sorry about the spelling, I blame the fibro which fudles with my brain!):grumble:
  • mumnpets
    Options
    hi jaimierayner,
    Winter seems to cause us with fibro lots of trouble giving more pain and frustration.The pain and tiredness can make it very difficult to exercise,over the years i have found that walking has been the best form of exercise for me as a can do just 10 mins on a bad day or more on a good day. I too take a multi vitamin every day.I never try to do any form of weight training as this is to much for my muscles to handle. The one thing you have to remember is that no person with Fibro is the same so only to do what you can when you can.
    :smile:
  • LizPlus
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am having a terrible time with this weight loss thing..I joined in on losing 5lbs in march..and I have gained since I started .:sad: I must be eating too much or else it is not doing my exercises for awhile..that was simple exercising..just walking by Leslie Sansone..I have been doing the 1 mile...but then the dizziness took over..going to try again this week, can only fall on the floor if I do pass out..
    I find the weather really effects the amount of pain and where it is....the pain meds just cannot numb it enough to help ease it. I have read on here of some people with Fibro can do lots more exercising then I can..Jaimierayner..like Mumnpets said each individual person knows what their bodies can do, so follow yours in it will be better for you....I also take Vit D3..and get B12 by needle each month..helps with the tiredness.
    Hope you have a great Saturday All :flowerforyou:
    Take Care!!
  • shreck05
    Options
    Hi, I'm just sooo pleased to find some more women in my situation! I've looked for local support groups but they are all at least an hours drive from me which is fine if I plan to do nothing else for the rest of the week but not very practical!

I've been working with a lady who is a trained physio and nutrionist but has also suffered from fibro. She has found that taking wheat, alcohol, sugar and potatoes out of the diet has illiminated her pain. She aslo suggests a whole heap of vitamins and suggests that most sufferers have a vit D defficiency.

Well I have been on the diet since May and was feeling sooo much better but the cold weather this winter seems to have triggered of the pain again - very frustrating!! I'm desperate to lose some weight but find I'm so exhausted from doing the daily essentials with the kids, work etc that I don't feel up to starting exercise - any suggestions?

(sorry about the spelling, I blame the fibro which fudles with my brain!):grumble:

Nice to meet you Jaimie. Out of curiosity is Rayn your middle name? My daughter's name is Arizona Rayn. I just love both names. I wanted Rayn then my husband sprung Arizona on me. I couldn't pass them both up. :love:

I do take Vit D during the winter months and magnesium daily. I am currently taking an anti-inflammatory plus other meds. I need to use a Sunday-Saturday pill holder because I can't remember if I took my meds or not. Memory is awful for me. I have forgotten my childrens friends names that come around from time to time. I felt so bad and embarrassed. I have a daytimer and calendar in my ktichen for all my families appointments and activities because I wouldn't be able to keep up and remember.

I do not exercise nor walk. I get out of bed to take care of my children during the two weeks my husband is out of town working. It is very exhausting for me to keep up. That is when I get my exercise from traveling to sporting events. My rheumatologist wanted me to do rehab. I turned it down because I would be too exhausted from adding it to my schedule. I can't keep up. I don't think he understood. I will be having my two children going in two diffrent directions and I will be all alone for two weeks at a time. PLUS add rehab to the mix. Nope I can do it right now. :ohwell:

Sorry I got off track, I was trying to make a point which was I don't exercise but I log my calories and I am losing weight. It isn't fast but it is coming off. Don't give up, keep logging.

It's going to be sunny and 50 today in Central Pennsylvania. Yay!! I will soak in the sun. Wishing everyone a painfree day. soft ((hugs)) :heart:

Dena
  • LizPlus
    Options
    Hi Dena,
    So nice to know your name, I understand the memory thing mine is almost non existent..I write appointment's on my calender ..in red.. and can still miss them, my psychologist is a bad one for me, I have missed several appointments with her and it is embarrassing :blushing: ...my hubby suggested I use a blister pack for my meds, now I don't miss them like I did..handy way of doing it....
    I am not very good at remembering names and I have no trick to help remember them, I would only forget the reminder anyway....I used to walk everyday..loved it..now *if* I go for a walk it is with my walker and not very far...playing with my grandchildren has become hard for somethings..impossible for others..they know that nana is sick but it hurts me that I cannot play with them like I did....
    This all day feeling of being so desperately tired..I at times feel like I am carrying extra weights on my shoulders..so heavy....it is a different kind of tiredness..there when you go to bed... and get up in the morning...Then there is the pain..it is all consuming when it strikes...and I take pain meds as I am sure others do too...
    I could go on but...these are a few things that Fibro takes away from us:devil: Have a painless day...:flowerforyou:
    Take Care
  • jaimierayner
    Options
    Happy Mothers Day everyone! Spent most of mine in bed so far. Kids are brill but know they find the whole illness difficult.

Can't tell you how reassuring it is that other people can't exercise on top of normal day to day commitments either. I seem to be eating less than I ever have but still not losing weight - very frustrating!

Hope to start walking a little when the weather finally warms up!

Have a good weekend
    X
  • shreck05
    Options
    Happy Mothers Day Jaimie! It's not being celebrated in the States today but it definitely should be celebrated everyday.

I know how frustrating it can be when you cut calories and you log every single one of them but don't lose. I have been there. It turned out I wasn't eating enough. I was eating too low of my calorie allowance. Maybe this is your situation too. Up your intake of your calories for a day. When I did that I lost a couple pounds. When you are under 200 calories a day each day of your calorie allowance it adds up each week. Your body reacts to that. MFP is allowing you the calories your body needs to lose weight and it set for you so you should eat at the most of those calories. At least this is from my experience. You can try my suggestion and if it doesn't work then go back to what you were doing or ask someone else what my be going wrong.

Soft ((hugs))
    Dena
  • LizPlus
    Options
    Happy Mothers day Dena and Jaimie, ours here in Canada isn't until May.......I have been having the same problem with the weight loss...I was trying the lose 5lbs in March thingy but I cannot lose anything...instead I am gaining...so I gave up this time..may try it another month, once I figure out what I am doing wrong, I believe I am eating too much..so I have to work on that. I think I have to sneak up on my body with some foods..it only wants trashy meals...so I will try to eat better.
    I am Hypoglycemic and the sugars I eat doesn't process well in my body...it leaves me tired and nausea's...So I am going to try to eat less sugars.....It will not be easy...
    Hope you Ladies have a Fantastic Day..{{ hugs }}
    Liz
  • Grammywilk
    Grammywilk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a newby here. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago. My sis has fibro/on disability. I've been able to 'work' with my job with the elderly ~15 hrs a week. Changes in barometric pressure are difficult. I deal w/ migraines, depression also. I joined a Drs weight loss group & am finding that certain foods really make a difference in how I feel. My exercise goals - ride recumbent bike 7 min daily, and get to the pool at the Y. I have a roadblock with the latter (can't figure it out), I enjoy water greatly. I've lost 10 lbs in 2 months. Well, that's me. Thanks for the group! :flowerforyou:
  • shreck05
    Options
    Welcome Beverwilk! I have heard that Fibro runs in the family. As of right now I have distant cousin that has it too. I don't have any intermediate family with it. I really wish someone would figure out what causes this horrible disease. I am the kind of person who needs answers.

I don't actually exercise. I do move around as far as taking my children to where they need to be. I do try practicing softball a little with my daughter. Softball is/was my favorite hobby when I was healthy. I feel so guilty when the weather is so beautiful and I am lying in bed exhausted and in pain. BUT then I usually end up paying for it when I overdo for playing with my children. I can't help myself. I don't have a happy medium.

I have lost 14lbs simply by counting calories with MFP. I bought a kitchen scale a couple months ago and I absolutely love it. I started this journey in January so I am taking it off slowly but they say that is the way to do it. :drinker:

I hope everyone keeps posting. I like to hear how everyone is doing. :heart:

Soft ((hugs))

Dena
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Thank you for this thread.
    Sometimes I feel like the crazy one. I haven't gone to the Dr for my fibro in years. I don't take meds. I was diagnosed in the early 90's by a new Dr who had just been to a seminar and it was a new and controversial syndrome. It was before the Internet and I found one book about it. They suggested guyfenisen back then (cough syrup ingredient).
    I work 2 jobs and am in constant pain.
    Oh, here's a question: does your skin hurt? No one seems to be able to explain that one. It feels like when you have a fever. I'm laying in bed and the pjs are pressing into my skin where they are bunched up. Ow.
    Today I'm still recovering from a fall I took a month ago, finally went to the chiropractor and had pain all night.
    I just don't complain any more. Take aleve or ibuprofen or both.
    My mom has fibro too as a result of a car wreck. I think that's when mine started, too.
    I'm sorry that all of you are suffering, but glad there is someone who understands.
    Oh, yes, the cold weather makes me ACHE. Glad summer is coming!
  • mumnpets
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Bookchick I’m glad you mentioned about the skin pain i struggle with that too,its very painful to have a crease in the sheets in bed or when your pj's bunch up and mine do that regular as i toss and turn most nights. I too don’t see my doc about fibro very often go to the hospital pain clinic every 8 months and have injections in my lower back. Other than that i take co-codamol when the pain is bad and Gabapentin, these help a little but nothing takes the pain away completely. I find that whatever i do i pay for with pain and stiffness for days after but over the years i have got to recognise this and if i go for a long walk on a Sunday i dont plan anything for a couple of days so i have chance to recover.
    Welcome Beverwilk, i have 3 cousins’ with Fibro and my daughter has ME which is a similar illness so i would definitely say Fibro runs in Families.
    Looking forward to some warmer weather soon. Marie. :flowerforyou:
  • Bookchick887
    Options
    Thank you for responding about the skin pain, Marie, it feels weird when no one knows what you're talking about!
    I am in constant pain 24/7 with sciatica now. It's always something! But it hurts so much to sit and walk and lay down, I have to vary my movements. Tendonitis, headaches, FM. I walk Tue and Thur anyway. I figure it hurts whether I walk or not, so I walk.
    It's depressing.
    It's been a bad week for pain and I have to help with an event Saturday. Crab Races - under a tent in the cold, on cement about 8-10 hours. It usually rains all day and there are puddles I have to walk through. The starter pistol going off constantly (bad for PTSD) and people asking me questions and needing stuff all day. It's part of my job w the Chamber of Commerce. I'm going to try to think of myself first and take it as easy as I can all day. I am going to be 'mindful' of what I do with my body to get through it.
    I am really glad to have this support group, thank you for letting me complain.
    Eileen
  • LizPlus
    Options
    Hi All,
    Sorry I haven't been around lately, My sister has been given only months to live :cry: .. and I am with her all that I can ...my Chronic Fatigue cuts in and I am SO tired.....but I really am not sleepy as much as there is that overwhelming feeling of a heavy tiredness...I am sure you who suffer with the evil Fibro can relate...
    The pain is double, I went to my pain doc to ask if my pain med could be raised up some...but she says I am already taking a high dose.:sick: ...she recommended that I take my Tylenol 3 when the pain overbites...I have recently started exercising more ( walking),...so I have to take more pain meds to do it..but I really want to lose this extra weight..
    Welcome All :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Hi Eileen..I don't have the sensitive skin issue but it sounds like an awful symptom to have..so sorry you suffer fr it...what is Sciatica? Good luck on Saturday with the event you have to attend..I pray it is kinder to you this time..XX

:flowerforyou: Hi Marie, I am sorry you have the skin issue also..makes having a good nights rest almost impossible.

I know how our health issues restrict how and if we do things..and I pray we can overcome some days and just be as we *were before* if only for a few minutes...I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers..we are warriors ladies..we know there is a battle we go thru each new day just to get thru it and we still keep going..thru the pain..tears..other peoples so so advice as to what we *should do* to be better..I raise my sword to us all....:drinker: ( or drink) :happy:

Bless you ALL,
    Liz
  • Bookchick887
    Options
    Well, the event was 11 hours. Just as bad as I thought. Sunday I had to go back to help w clean up. I told them I couldn't lift but I came anyway and did what I could. My boss went home early today bc her back hurt. Gee too bad. Mine did too.
    The good news is, I will get more hours at the library this summer and be done at the C of C soon. It hurts to work but I might as well have a job I enjoy and have insurance.
    Sciatica is an inflammation of the sciatic nerve which runs from the small of the back, down each hip and leg to the foot. It hurts to walk. My friend is going to show me exercises for it tomorrow.
    The good news is the sun will shine tomorrow and my sons are doing well. We have veggies growing in a garden this year and I have a little support group on MFP. !
  • LizPlus
    Options
    Good morning,
    This morning it is grey outside with the fog surrounding us..but it isn't snow Thank God :happy:
    Sounds from all on here we have our trial with Fibro and whatever any other illness has its clutches on us..my legs and hips are my worst pain areas..my hands not so often..went to get my pain med upped but she feels I have a high enough dose at this time..so I will live around the pain as much as I can..yesterday I was in bed mostly..the Chronic Fatigue..part of Fibro's wonderful gifts it lays on us....does anyone get a lot of nausea :huh: ..that has been a hard part of my dix..not as bad today as I have had it, would be sick everyday and smells trigger the nausea, so everything that I can get..is scent free..when there is someone waiting in line at a store that is peppered in perfumes I have to leave there and go to another checkout..which might be better...
    Book Chick...I bet you could tell your boss about real pain..the 10+ pain...I hope the exercises help you with the Sciatic nerve :smile:
    I really hope that the pain is being kind to you all..a little relief can make a differance...{{ hugs }}

Liz