Pregnant Paleo friends please!

Options
livlovra
livlovra Posts: 139 Member
Ok so I am 12 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and just getting over the fatigue and dreaded nausea. Starting weight before I fell pregnant was 71kg and yesterday it was 73.6kg. I'm 5'7". It fluctuates massively day to day but I really want to keep on top of it and not let it get out of control.

I have been weight training for about 7 months consistently and want to keep going but looking for a program for preggy ladies. Not really found one so just cracking on with my own thing and doing basic compound moves and basically anything that feels comfortable. Anyone else doing weights?

With baby no. 2 I ran about 3x a week until 6 months but then got very bad pelvic pain and couldn't really walk. Piled on the pounds massively. Hence I am nervous about doing too much cardio. He is now 2 and I have really only just lost the baby weight. As of Jan I went paleo which has moved to primal since finding out i'm pregnant. That has definitely helped and I want to keep on with this lifestyle as much as possible. Would love to hear about other women who are doing a similar thing.

Replies

• Aloemilk
    Aloemilk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 weeks pregnant, but you know me already :)

I'm primal, having added back more dairy than I was having before. I went up in my carbs to stay out of ketosis *just in case*, and I'm currently having 70-100 grams of carbs a day. I'm walking a lot more, trying to use the stairs at my building more often (I live on the 12th floor, and I try to use it for the first 4-5 stories), and as soon as I cross over the 12-week mark, I want to add upper-body weights (I wasn't doing weights before, so I have to introduce them slowly, I think).

Even though I was being mostly paleo before, since I wasn't exercising, my insulin resistance didn't get any better. I'm currently in high risk of gestational diabetes, for which I'm constantly keeping track of my blood sugar. During the day I'm doing great, but it took me a while to control my fasting sugar. I found that having 30 grs of carbs at dinner (which means a glass of milk, 2 squares of chocolate, and whatever was on the veggies) brought down my fasting glucose to an average of 91.

I hope to see there's more people here on MFP that's going through this within a paleo lifestyle!
  • scsooze
    scsooze Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant yet, but we're trying to get this month (if it happens quickly!) and I plan on staying primal. Would love to have some primal pregnant friends to discuss with! I run and weight train too, and yes I was planning on weight training still.. not sure how much I'll be able to run. I'm 5'2 and popped out immediately with 2 other pregnancies.. nowhere for baby to go but out :)
  • livlovra
    Options
    Aloemilk great to hear from you. Good luck with keeping the dreaded diabetes at bay.

Scsooze nice to meet you and have fun with the getting pregnant bit! I really have popped out with this one. 3s the charm!
  • Aloemilk
    Aloemilk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm adding you, scsooze, if that's okay :)

I'm not showing at all... but I suspect my belly for that, lol!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I will reply later just marking it.
  • cmacdonald8
    cmacdonald8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found the best cardio for me was swimming, if you have access to a pool I would def reccommend trying it out. I swam until just a few days before giving birth and towards the end when I was in the pool was the only time that my joints didn't ache. Wishing you all the best!!!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am 18 weeks pregnant and I eat similar to primal. We decided how we would like to eat to change our health and then found later it was similar to paleo/primal lifestlye. So because I haven't really read or am strict to paleo only I say i am similar to primal (I don't want people critizing me for my food choices). I love the reicipies for paleo it fits the way I we eat. We eat a lot of fruit and nuts (we try to add in no processed or refined sugar, that being said we do eat flavored yoguart and bbq sauce (would love a good homemade bbq if I could find one) and I don't buy grass fed, organics (unless its same price or close to regular).... I have 5 children + 1 on the way and my FIL lives in the basement, its a lot of mouths to feed and a high grocery bill as it is. We do what we can.
    I try to exercise daily, last couple of days lacking.... thats kind of me in a nut shell.
  • livlovra
    Options
    Hi Sally wow you really have your hands full! How far along are you?
  • beuniqueheather
    Options
    I would love some good buddies on here to keep me eating clean! I am a bit over five months and struggling with eating good. This morning the lucky charms were just calling my name:( This is our 8th baby and I am a runner. I ran in college and gave it up for a few years. Finally after our sixth child I got back into it and ran through baby #7 and hopefully will continue through this one!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Glad to see so many preg ladies sticking with paleo/primal for pregnancy... I am not pregnant (yet) I have a 19mo and would like to get preg in the next several months.

If its ok, I'd like to add you and hear how your pregnancies are going eatign this way.

Best,
    Christie
  • Jbeilfuss84
    Jbeilfuss84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I just found out we're pregnant with baby #3 :) I started eating primal and did well for a few weeks then got sick and fell off the wagon. I really want to have a really healthy pregnancy and get back at it. I really tend to crave bad carbs and I need tk stop before it gets out of hand lol. I'm starting this pregnancy overweight so if I can manage to maintain my weight or even melt some fat I'd be a happy girl :) I'd definitely love some new friends to help keep on track!