Weighing (yourself) & Tracking (your food)

Options
2»

Replies

• hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    So get this. I've been on MFP for almost a year now, and am down...oh...we'll call it 15 pounds or so. In a year. I've been eating clean with only the rare exception, been hitting the gym regularly, haven't had soda or fast food on a regular basis in YEARS. 15 pounds.

My husband is doing the Whole30 with me as well, and he's ignoring the "do not weigh" advice. He told me yesterday that he's down seven pounds, in the last 11 days.

SEVEN. Half of what I've lost in a YEAR.

*grumblegrumblemalemetabolismgrumblegrumble*

At least he had the decency to pretend to be a little sheepish about it when he gave me the news. :wink:
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    So get this. I've been on MFP for almost a year now, and am down...oh...we'll call it 15 pounds or so. In a year. I've been eating clean with only the rare exception, been hitting the gym regularly, haven't had soda or fast food on a regular basis in YEARS. 15 pounds.

My husband is doing the Whole30 with me as well, and he's ignoring the "do not weigh" advice. He told me yesterday that he's down seven pounds, in the last 11 days.

SEVEN. Half of what I've lost in a YEAR.

*grumblegrumblemalemetabolismgrumblegrumble*

At least he had the decency to pretend to be a little sheepish about it when he gave me the news. :wink:

Men. That's typical. Don't compare yourself. It's a losing battle.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not so much an issue of me comparing myself to him, but his lack of understanding on why I can't lose as quickly as he does. CLEARLY I'm not working out as hard, or MUST be sneaking food, etc. Umm, no, that's not it at all, honey.

At least I can console myself with the fact that he's morphing into a HAWT MUSCULAR BEAST, hey? :bigsmile:
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    At least I can console myself with the fact that he's morphing into a HAWT MUSCULAR BEAST, hey? :bigsmile:

YES!!!!!!!!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to track or look at the scale.

I really like the idea of getting away from that and just getting in tune with what your body needs. I feel that it's going to be liberating to not worry about any of that and just focus on my food.

I don't want to live the rest of my life logging my food and stepping on the scale every day. I think that this is a great way to slowly get away from that dependency.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning for a half way measurement. I figure if this is the only "rule" I break during this month then I'm doing ok.

Down 4.4 lbs from April 1st thru the 15th. I won't weigh myself again until May 1st.
  • explore_live
    explore_live Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Scale is out the door, time for success on photo's and inches. I know it will result in health and progress, last time the progress made was great.
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning for a half way measurement. I figure if this is the only "rule" I break during this month then I'm doing ok.

Down 4.4 lbs from April 1st thru the 15th. I won't weigh myself again until May 1st.
    Good to hear you're down! Curiosity will be killing me, but I'm going to put my scale away. Maybe take the batteries out to make it even tougher! haha
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @fufonzo Great idea. I think I'll be ok to wait till the end now. I'm technically on the downhill stretch!
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think I need to start tracking again. I was going back and forth on weather or not I wanted to and decided not to. But I'm feeling like I'm not eating enough calories. I know I can just load up on fat but think I need to pay a little more attention....

Is anyone else struggling with not tracking?
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    I think I need to start tracking again. I was going back and forth on weather or not I wanted to and decided not to. But I'm feeling like I'm not eating enough calories. I know I can just load up on fat but think I need to pay a little more attention....

Is anyone else struggling with not tracking?

It's definitely a little strange not to be tracking after being so used to doing it (though honestly, I'd been horrble at tracking for the past month or so anyways).

I still think that not tracking is best. It's obviously your call, but I think that not tracking helps us improve our 'relationship' with food and allows us to be a little less obsessive compulsive about it. I think it can show us that the quality of the food is more important than the quantity. That if we ensure we eat healthy foods, we don't have to worry about tracking every calorie because our body will take care of regulating intake.

I don't know about you, but personally, tracking food is really not something I want to do for the rest of my life and I think this Whole30 is a good way to take a step towards that.

In my opinion, if you listen to your body, you should be fine. If you're hungry, eat. If not don't try to overstuff yourself just because you don't think you're getting enough calories.

One thing you mentionned is fat; did you come from a conventional low-fat diet before this?
    I don't know if this is the case for you, but one of the biggest challenges people have is getting over their fear of fat when they wander into Primal/Paleo eating. Don't skimp on the avocado, oils, or other fat because you're concerned about the calories. If you can, buy fattier cuts of pastured meat (if you buy conventional, usually you'll want the leaner pieces since the bad stuff usually gets deposited in the fat).
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One thing you mentionned is fat; did you come from a conventional low-fat diet before this?
    I don't know if this is the case for you, but one of the biggest challenges people have is getting over their fear of fat when they wander into Primal/Paleo eating. Don't skimp on the avocado, oils, or other fat because you're concerned about the calories. If you can, buy fattier cuts of pastured meat (if you buy conventional, usually you'll want the leaner pieces since the bad stuff usually gets deposited in the fat).

I came off of WW when I originally started Paleo about 6 months ago. I have NO problem with fat...bulletproof coffee is my favorite thing ever! I can do avocado all day long. I think I just haven't been as mindful this last week of making sure I'm getting enough of it. I'll keep not tracking, like you said, it's not something I want to do forever.
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    I came off of WW when I originally started Paleo about 6 months ago. I have NO problem with fat...bulletproof coffee is my favorite thing ever! I can do avocado all day long. I think I just haven't been as mindful this last week of making sure I'm getting enough of it. I'll keep not tracking, like you said, it's not something I want to do forever.

Keep us updated on how it's going for you. I personally find it kind of liberating. It's hard to take my mind away from it sometimes ('oh I wonder how my macros are. am I eating too many carbs? enough protein?, etc). but I think it's good for me not to stress over that stuff too too much.

Same thing with weighing myself. Every morning, I still look to where the scale used to be (I stored it away haha) and feel that it's weird that I 'm not weighing myself.