Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

No Thyroid Diet Question

skinnyme47
skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
I had my thyroid removed in August of last year and am now on Levothyroxine. Is anyone on a low carb (Atkins) diet, and does it work as I keep losing and gaining the same few pounds over and over.:smile:

Replies

• kitchen0nfire
    kitchen0nfire Posts: 22 Member
    I haven't had my thyroid for 2 years now. You need a balance diet and plenty of exercise, just like anyone else. Carbs are essential in the human body for energy. I suggest you cut a couple hundred calories per day and exercise regularly!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Prior to losing my thyroid, almost two years ago, I could average around 2500 cals a day and still lose weight. But I find now that it's closer to 2200. Any much over that and I will instantly gain. After a 30 pound gain, I knew that what worked before wouldn't work any longer. I think something like Atkins is unsustainable. I'm no fan of "dieting,' but I've found that now I do much better if I restrict grains, sugar, and, of course, alcohol.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I follow a quasi-paleo diet. Quasi as in I'm not as severe as the all-Paleo crowd is (you may take the very small amount of cheese I now eat out of my cold dead hand), but I eat very low carb. It worked for me, but only because of the inclusion of exercise and a balanced eating on top of that. I get carbs through usually fruit sugar, but not from processed wheats and grains normally (I had a flour tortilla on Sunday, don't tell them!).

The Whole 30 Challenge is something neat to look at, because it wipes out everything processed, and then allows you to incorporate foods back into your diet to see how they work for you. Personally I've never been able to pull it off as it is incredibly restrictive. I have friends that did it, and they have found a slight allergy to wheat (not total celiac, but definitely unpleasantness when eating breads and the like). Some of it is simply finding what works best for you, which sometimes there is no label to put on it.