Weight Questions!

Options
morgycg
morgycg Posts: 38 Member
Hi everyone,

I am 11w, 0d today and have some weight related questions for you! Due to PCOS, I had to take fertility meds to get pregnant. and I got a condition called OHSS, in which I gained 7 pounds in the course of a week, right before ovulation (I went from 156 to 163). That put my BMI right up into the overweight range at 25. Then due to some other minor complications, I wasn't allowed to exercise my whole pregnancy up until last week, so I have started easing back into working out through yoga and prenatal pilates.

Anyways, because my BMI was now overweight, I set my food log to maintenance. I think due to not working out, my crazy hormones, and not having any morning sickness, I gained about 2 more pounds to go up to 165. In the past 2 weeks I lost the 2 pounds without trying, so now I"m back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 163 (after the 7 pound weight gain).

I have some other pregnancy apps on my phone, and it told me today that gaining 0 pounds since the start of pregnancy is too low and I should have gained 2-6 pounds by now, putting my weight at 165-169. Should I be worried? I wasn't concerned because 163 is still "overweight" and really my prepregnancy weight before the drugs was a lot lower. I thought that you don't have to start gaining weight until the 2nd trimester, which starts next week for me, and then you are supposed to be gaining 1 pound per week.

This is my first pregnancy, so if others have insight please help me out!

Replies

• kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about it. I didn't gain anything during the first tri either and now I'm at around 25 lbs at 31 weeks so obviously it had no problem piling on later. :laugh:

Those apps and other guides are just averages. Everyone gains at different rates. And even for the same person you may gain at a different rate for each pregnancy! Last pregnancy I was overweight and only gained 22 lbs total. This one I started in a healthy BMI and have already gained past that even with better diet and exercise. You never know!

Congrats on your first pregnancy!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain until week 22 I think? It comes on all too quickly at the end, so don't worry about it. Just try to keep it steady when it does start coming on. :0
  • morgycg
    morgycg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Also, I know some people lose weight from morning sickness in the first trimester, so I didn't think that not gaining any weight right now is a big deal. Also, I hope to only gain about 25 pounds, so we'll see if that happens!

@kellyknepperg was your doctor concerned you didn't gain any weight until 22 weeks?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    As long as your doctor is ok with your gain, then don't sweat it. My OB doesn't weigh you until your 12-week appointment anyway and only counts any gains from there.

As far as guidelines, I thought it was pretty standard that you might not gain any weight during your first trimester and may even lose because of morning sickness. Personally, I gained with both pregnancies, but I also ate a lot :smile:
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Also, I know some people lose weight from morning sickness in the first trimester, so I didn't think that not gaining any weight right now is a big deal. Also, I hope to only gain about 25 pounds, so we'll see if that happens!

@kellyknepperg was your doctor concerned you didn't gain any weight until 22 weeks?

I'm in the UK so I see a midwife, but they don't weigh you at all here, except for the starting appointment so they know if you are high risk etc. Plus as it's not my first pregnancy I only saw the midwife once before 22 weeks. They do it that way in the UK because the amount you gain really doesn't matter. If anything, it just stresses women out! I do think the US is one of the few places that weighs women during pregnancy. You can put on 100 lbs and have a perfectly healthy pregnancy and average size baby, or gain very little and still get gestational diabetes.

I had bad morning sickness with both pregnancies but with my first I lost nearly 14 pounds in the first trimester and was close to liver failure. There was never any concern for the baby, they will take whatever they need, even if it leaves you with nothing. The baby was absolutely fine and I didn't start putting on weight until 20 weeks. I still managed to put on 42 pounds in the final 20 weeks! I like to keep an eye on it because I know from my past pregnancy that I will carry around any extra weight until I am finished breastfeeding, which will be a year plus. It would be nice to carry around a lot less this time. :)

Enjoy your pregnancy, stay active and eat well, but don't let the scale stress you out.