Just finished my first Sprint Tri

Options
VeeBethTris
VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
I wish I had pictures to share with but all I have for now is the self portrait I took (see profile pic) in the transition area waiting for my swim time to start. Once the race posts some pics/results I will have more information to share but for now I can you tell I just completed my first Sprint Triathlon and I am officially a Triathlete!!!

I am so darn proud of myself and considering where I was a year ago health wise it is an amazing transition. I won't bore you with all my health stuff but a year ago I started walking, dropped a bunch of weight (don't let anyone tell you that you can't lose from walking), hit the gym in January, started a C25K program, dropped another 20 in 4 months, did a 5k in March and signed up for this thing a week later.

I had a borrowed bike that I used today, the chain came off 3x during the race, and I fixed it myself all 3 times. The final time it was so badly wedged in there I almost gave up. I persevered and got it back on. I lost probably 20 minutes on my finish time but I did finish.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't perfect, but I was passionate about completing this race. When I was done my kids told me I had grease all over my face, never mind all over my hands and fingers but I didn't care.

I was blessed to have a cheering section of my kids (and a huge volunteer group who were awesome) there from bike transition to run transition. My son came to meet me for the final 1/2 mile walk/run to the finish line. Lynchburg, Va is known as the Hill City so there was no shame in my game walking some of that steep climb. My son stayed with me the entire time. So blessed.

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! You have every right to be proud! Did you enjoy it, and are you planning to do more?
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! I hope to complete my first this summer. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am hooked :) I will do another one sometime this summer or early Fall. I will just train harder, will know what to expect, spend more time in the water swimming, and will buy my own bike :) I really thought my running would be the easiest but I was surprised at how much I liked the road biking (barring the chain problems I had) but thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a wonderful experience.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congratulations.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Yep, I always warn people, triathlons are addictive! I think it,s the variety all in one race!
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's so cool that you did this. I'm inspired for my own later this summer. Loved your video finish!
    -Bob
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Really glad you enjoyed it and you can always take pride in your achievement! Here's to the next race!
  • SWFLGUY
    SWFLGUY Posts: 40
    Options
    Congratulations - that is awesome. I've been training - swimming, running, biking and lifting weights - and hope to do my first Sprint Tri in May and maybe another in September. I love your story.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    So jealous. Can't wait for my first.