Weightwatchers or Slimming World?

Options
I'm finding it really hard to stick to a diet at the moment, and am thinking of joining either Weightwatchers or Slimming World for a while. I have done both of them in the past, but am a bit undecided now. Which one worked for you?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Why pay when you can get this free? What do you think they can offer that here can't. Gather up a few good friends on here to help motivate you.
  • beckslite
    beckslite Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Tried both, couldn't stick to either. WW is worst I think because you think it's easier to have there foods. That documentary last year showed that there foods were actually not good for you as they fill them with all sorts of rubbish to keep the cals down and give it flavour. I agree this way is cheaper. Make small life style changes one at a time. Don't forget your trying to loose weight not, your on mfp doing calorie counting.

Good luck :happy:
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    We're using slimming world & weight watchers for the recipe ideas, but using MFP to track what we're eating if that makes sense.
  • Youwillbeseeinglessofme
    Options
    My fitness pal is the best one :)
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have never used either of these, but my MIL-to-be does Slimming World. She just goes in, and then goes home and eats a massive salad, with a WHOLE wedge of Brie and a WHOLE tub of coleslaw and says it's healthy. I've heard better things about WeightWatchers. However, I believe that one of the above posters suggested using MFP to log, and using WW's recipes to keep you on track.

But I noticed that you were struggling to keep on track yourself, so perhaps follow WW for a little while but track what you are eating on MFP too, so when you are ready to leave the nest of WW, you know how to discipline yourself and use MFP without any guidance.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ella543
    Ella543 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. You're right, the best thing is being on here, but I'm feeling so unmotivated at the moment. When I've been to WW or SW I've started off full of enthusiasm, lost weight, then put it back on again. Weightwatchers has changed and now they keep pushing you to buy their products all the time. The leader used to give an inspiring talk, but now spends the time trying to sell their scales, cookery books etc. I may decide to stick with MFP, and I've made some lovely encouraging friends on here.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have followed both Weightwatchers and Slimming world. The last being slimming world. They are both good and i managed to loose 1.5stone at slimming world (the last clubi did last year) but i found i felt always under pressure that i must loose for the next meeting.
    I turned to MFP when a friend showed it me and I haven't looked back. It is less stressful, and must admit if you follow it correctly you will see results. I have been doing MFP since December and have lost over 1st. I have more will power doing this than at any club i have been to and there is always someone on here to give you good advice and support if you get stuck.
    I think it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Good luck what ever you choose.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    When you have MFP, why pay for either Weight Watchers or Slimming World?
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've used SW before but the one thing it doesn't teach you is portion control. MFP is not only free but allows you to take control of portion size, calorie intake, calories burned, macro nutrients, water consumption etc. And if its the social aspect you like, then get some friendly, supportive friends on here and use the forums.
  • The_Gruffalo
    Options
    Neither Slimming world or Weight watchers teach you about portion size so for that reason alone i refuse to use them
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    Dont waste your money on either. They are pointless diets ran by unfit and usally over weight staff. The food they sell is garbage and full of sugers.

If you want the motivation pay for the gym or classes, even a trainer.

I did my food science degree on both of these money wasting fad diets.

The only diet that works is healthy foods and excercise :0)

Good luck on your journey
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've done both in the past and have had more success with Weight Watchers, in fact I gained weight at SW (too much pasta).

I have struggled with the WW pro points system and decided to just use MFP. I do find it is an incentive to be weighed by someone else but found both groups were very dismissive of the normal fluctuations of body weight.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    They both encourage you to make bad food choices amd waste your money.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've done both in the past and have had more success with Weight Watchers, in fact I gained weight at SW (too much pasta).

I have struggled with the WW pro points system and decided to just use MFP. I do find it is an incentive to be weighed by someone else but found both groups were very dismissive of the normal fluctuations of body weight.

I,agree- its all centred around weight. I didn't lose with either- too much flexibility. With WW its the weekly points and fruit and with SW its having to stop when you're full.
  • shazzamax11
    shazzamax11 Posts: 154
    Options
    I recently signed up to WW on line and to be honest half the foods arent even in their database, MFP has almost every type of food imaginable and its free. I find MFP a lot easier to follow, its less stressful and you dont have to "point your milk" etc you just add it to your daily calories, plus it breaks down the sugars, proteins etc. MFP is also great for logging exercise and many years ago I lost weight by strictly following a 1,000 a day calorie diet whereby I wrote down everything I ate, this is the same principle but in a more user friendly way. I say ditch the "slimming clubs" and use this app. I am totally lacking willpower at the moment and I've gained a stone, but I am suffering with my back so this morning I thought to myself "no more fat girl"..............Day one begins. We are all here to help you.