Any other vegans try this?

Options
Recently I feel I have become 'softer' flabbier' 'less toned' and I do think it's because of my increase in sugar due to the amount of increase of fruits in my diet however I am not a professional so I could be wrong, just observing my body. I was wondering if there are any vegans out there who try to limit their sugar intake and has it worked for them? I thought maybe if I limit my intake to about 100g a day.....is that too much? too little?
Let me know what you guys think please. I love being vegan and I don't want this to maybe cause a slip up.

Replies

• Deb_le_Kess
    Deb_le_Kess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand, you think you are getting flabby because you think you are eating too much fruit so the answer is to give up on veganism? Couldn't you just reduce your fruit and see if you get less flabby? not sure the relationship between veganism and too much fruit.
  • Jacqsie
    Jacqsie Posts: 51
    Options
    Oh no, maybe I didn't word it correctly! SORRY! I mean that I love being vegan however I'm worrying about sugar intake, I don't want to add in too many nuts, seeds, alternative milks and other products as I want to be as clean as possible. Some people have said that it could be the lack of protein causing this flabbiness......should I eat more greens and less fruits??
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Peeked at your food diary. I kept seeing days with only 14-16 grams of protein and then realized you're mostly only taking in like 800-900 calories a day. I think the WHO recommends at least 46 grams of protein a day. If you think you can manage another 200-300 calories, it'd be a great opportunity to add higher protein foods like beans, black eye peas, tofu, or tempeh.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Why do you consider nuts and seeds non-clean?

It's processed, but I have fallen in love with Omega Foods pumpkin seed protein powder. It's nothing but pumpkin seed. I can make it in a shaker bottle, no fruit required, because the texture and taste are not offensive like many other vegan powders.

I do think in general eating more veggies than fruit is optimal, but I think you can eat all the fruit you want so long as you get enough protein and fat and stay in your calorie limits. You will get flabby if you don't get enough of your protein and fat, but that would be true if you lived on just veggies with no fruit.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've been watching my sugar intake because I hit a wall on losing weight I gained during the holidays. I still go over, but I try to keep the red numbers in single digits. After 2 weeks I did see a couple of pounds drop off. I'm trying to limit my sugars to mostly being from fruits.
  • Jacqsie
    Jacqsie Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you guys! I don't consider nuts and seeds to be unclean, I just find it hard to eat them sometimes. How many grams of sugar do you guys think I should intake?
  • Deb_le_Kess
    Options
    I've also had a quick look at your diary and you are eating a lot of fruit and veg without much protein, aren't you getting crazy stomach ache? Do you want to have a look at my diary? I'm not without a bit of chocolate and things here and there, but I'd say I'm good 90% of the time. I do have a rule though that I will eat a 'processed' item if I am happy that I know and am happy to consume every item on the ingredient list. Maybe something to think about, a vegan diet with just fruit and veg is not a healthy one.
  • Deb_le_Kess
    Options
    Can I ask how long you have been vegan? I was looking a bit more at your diary and I'm actually wondering how you have not yet been ill! Not to put too fine a point on it, I would be on the toilet all the time with this diet, and you are severely under nourishing yourself. Try looking at some of Brenden Brazier's books, he is a clean eating vegan and an athlete (well ex now ), I think you are missing the idea behind it.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think you need to up your calories, and your protein. I think fruit is okay, but you are eating a LOT of fruit. I have been a big fruit eater since going vegan a little over a year ago, and have not really experinced any problems from it. However,my weight loss has now been stalled for a bit, so I am trying to reduce the amount of fruit that I eat, at least temporarily. I still eat it, but I have tried to include more veggies as snacks and not so much fruit.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Wow, you eat a lot of fruit. You should definitely incorporate more different food groups -- unless you're leaning towards fruitiarian or a raw food diet, then I guess you're on the right track. You say you don't want to eat processed foods but I see you're eating some packaged soups and beans. Nuts are extrememly healthy and clean, especially raw/unsalted. You can even make your own nut milk if you're worried about eating clean (although I drink unsweetened almond and consider it pretty "clean"). Try to eat beans and lentils, but instead of buying canned, try buying dry, then soaking and cooking them. You may also benefit from adding things like spirulina, chia, flax, nutri yeast, etc. to your diet.

You need to be eating more. You should research the vegan diet a lot more to be honest.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Have you though about making your own whole grain bread as well? It'd be a decent way to get slower carbs, fiber, iron, and a little bit more protein. And it'd be clean.
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    I believe everyone else is right- not enough protein will stop your muscle growth (you'll be softer) and not enough calories can actually put you in starvation mode so I'd up your calories and protein - it's not the fruit doing it.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly veggies, nuts, beans, and tofu. Mostly I think of fruits not as a food but as a dessert or as another vitamin source. Make most of your meals with veggies and in the morning or after dinner if you've monitored your nutrients and need extra vitamin c etc or need a sugar fix THEN reach for the fruit. I am not saying that a diet mainly consisting of fruits is bad but truth is it has more sugars and the other foods hold a variety of vitamins and nutrients comparing the two. Think of it like this. Fruit is natures candy, would you eat 3 square meals of candy a day? Also when I make my meals I think square meal equals veggie, grain, and bean.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    --eat more food

--eat more protein

--strength train with body weight exercises (see the book "body by you" for a program)
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    could be that u are losing muscle mass due to taking in too little food
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think eating heaps of fruit is fine. There a heaps of strong and healthy fruitarians out there. I think eat more protein and calories and incorporate strength training into your exercise program.