Gastric Sleeve Surgery - What are your thoughts?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into the gastric sleeve surgery and I'm wondering if anyone in the group has considered this option? I'd like to hear any pros or cons you may have. I'm at 317 and I have pretty bad osteoarthritis in both knees so this option has been suggested. Would be appreciate your thoughts.

Peggy

Replies

• ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of having that surgery in 2007 but my insurance would not approve it. I did find this site to be of help. http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/sleevers/ I hope it was ok to post it. Hopefully it will help you too.
  • River__Song
    River__Song Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have not had weight loss surgery, but I wanted to wish you good luck with everything
  • johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've heard some good things about the sleeve but can't say that I've had any personal experience with it. I did have "The Band" put on about 8-10 years ago. At first I had very good success with it. But then slowly I put the weight back on. Just keep in mind that Bariatric Surgery only works to help the physical portion presented by obesity and over eating. The thing that I found was that it didn't help with the mental aspect of it. So I would highly recommend that if you do decide to go forward with this make sure that there's an aspect of post surgery support to help you with the mental changes that you need to make to be successful. Otherwise you'll most likely see the same thing that I did.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that there's no quick fix for obesity. Only hard work and personal change. But I'm definitely not going to say not to have the surgery, just please think long and hard about it.

Best of luck to you regardless of what you decide to do.
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am on the fence about it. I started the weight loss surgery journey in january of last year. I have taken my time because one day I want it, the next day I won't. I finally got my insurance approval and go on the 26th of this month to schedule the surgery. I have some people promoting me and telling me to do it, while I have just as many others telling me not to. I want to lose it on my own, and I am really giving it 150% effort this time on losing it. I have until July 23rd before my approval expires. I am going to schedule it for the beginning of July and if I succed at weight loss between now and then, I mean by sticking with it, because I have never stuck to anything weight loss related for that long, I am going to cancel it. If I can't do it on my own this last time, I'm going to go through with it. I am 6'3 and on January 15th, I was 360. I have lost 12 pounds so far, in less than a month and it makes me feel good, because I am impatient. I know it won't be like that every month, but I have goal that if I can lose 50 pounds before surgery, I don't think I'll go through with it. But I wish you luck. Oh, I have a bad knee too. I am only 35 years old, bu always being overweight and obese has made my right knee crunch and hurt if I have to climb more than a few stairs. :(
  • pnpatti
    Options
    Thanks for the posts. All of the comments are great and supportive. I"m amazed that I find myself going through and thinking about the same things that others have writen about. Johnm8703 - very very true that if you don't get the mental aspect of the over-eating in check, it's going to be really hard. That has always been my biggest hurdle - not to eat out of boredom, frustration, sadness, etc. I'm going to continue researching and going through the education classes and of course using MFP to see if I can conquer my demon.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I got approved for the sleeve and walked away after I came across documents for pre op and post op requirements I didn't want to live that way u can never have carbonated anything again there are some vegetables like celery u shouldn't have because they are hard to digest and clog your openings... the list goes on and on - anyone considering this should really really investigate what life is gonna be like- weight loss really only continues because of the sleeve for up to 24 months- after that if u haven't gotten your act together with your head thoughts and actions and haven't made exercise and logging your food a daily thing then u will gain the weight back- shoot I'm doing that without the surgery and am so grateful I know it is a slower process natural but I am in control and have chosen to live a new lifeway so this is forever . Anyways best of luck to anyone considering this I just knew it wasn't for me after my research.
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    I have been offered the opportunity by several Drs.

The side effects of it are not worth it for me.
  • pnpatti
    Options
    Really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. The other website is interesting and added to my list of research. Yes, the side effects and the type of life-style changes are some of the things that keep me on the fence about this decision. I ask myself - can I really do this? All the while, I am still trying to record what I eat and keep moving. Thanks again for the comments.
  • Binks766
    Binks766 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peggy,

Just joined and saw your post and had to reply. I got the gastric sleeve November 15th, 2011. I started out at 375+ pounds, I am now between 230-240 on any given day (currently on a several month stall, which is why i have joined my fitness pal)...I drink 128+ oz of water daily, I eat green leafy veggies, cucumbers, fish, low sodium ham, sometimes I can tolerate chicken, sometimes beef--most of the time those two won't stay down because they are heavy on your sleeve, light and lively greek yogurt w/2x the protien, on a busy day i slug back a EAS Carbadvantage shake to keep my protien at over 60 grams daily--sleeve people don't absorb as much as normal people so we have to increase out intakes. I eat around 4-6 oz of food three times a day, depending on the heaviness of what I am consuming. Food is no longer my main concern--I don't get up thinking what am I gonna have for breakfast/lunch/supper. I eat at designated times because I now would forget to eat otherwise--15 months out and I think I have felt hunger maybe twice. I am finding life so much more enjoyable than I did before. I have 65 pounds to go, but that number is not as daunting as the 210 pounds I started with. Yes, there are limitations, and yes, you will get out of it, what you put into it, but I myself know that I would do it all over again tomorrow. If you have any questions, let me know.

Binks
  • ChrisTina_Fisher
    Options
    I just had the surgery on the 18th! So far, I don't regret it! I recommend researching as much as you can! Good luck!
  • bookwrmmom
    bookwrmmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wanted to answer your question because you really only had one person who actually has had sleeve surgery to reply to you. I was sleeved on 6/25/12 & can honestly tell you that it is by far the best health decision that I have ever made for myself. I have had ZERO complications, & yes like any other surgery there is a slight risk of complications. In addition to the sleeve surgery I had my gallbladder removed & a hiatal hernia repaired....all at one time. The recovery was not bad at all, & I was back at work (at my desk job) in 11 days. Did I have any pain? Well of course I did, but I can honestly say that it was far easier than my recovery from a hysterectomy. There are NO foods that I have a difficult time with although some say chicken, beef or eggs but personally I eat all of these with no difficulty. I really live on eggs and chicken because I love them and they are full of protein. I also eat a lot of cheese as well. Some sleevers say they never get hungry, but I do....at appropriate times. However if I don't eat when I feel hungry usually the feeling will pass if I drink something & often times I won't think about it for a while. I have lost 74.5 pounds since surgery, but I do follow the rules except for splurging on occasion. The only 2 items that I am not supposed to ever have again are really not deal breakers for me. No sodas (no carbonation at all), and no chewing gum. I can live my life without these, so no problem. I did actually look at a coupon this morning for Diet Dr. Pepper & say "Dear Diet Dr. Pepper, I do miss you" & than I moved on :)
    One of the biggest rules for any bariatric patient is not drinking while eating, and honestly this was the hardest to adjust to but adjust I did and it is a rare thing for me to even sip while I am eating. The only time that happens as a rule is if it is too spicy or too dry.
    If I had it to do again, I would run and not walk to my surgeon's office & my hubby is now thinking of the procedure himself. A great site that I still use for information all the time is www.gastricsleeve.com
    This site is full of actual sleevers and people who are in the process of getting sleeved as well as folks like yourself who are gathering information.
    I hope some of this can help you!
    My best advice to anyone who is considering bariatric surgery is to do you homework!! Research, research, and than research some more. Be extremely diligent when picking a surgeon because this is not your car you are getting worked on it is your body! The Gastric Sleeve forum was and still is a huge part of my life, and I still go there for advice and to try to pay it forward and help others in any way I can.
  • sparker78
    Options
    Hi
    I have just had surgery for the Gastric Sleeve on 15th March - so only 11 days out and I am already feeling healthier than I have for a long time. I started out on the 1st March at 326lb and this morning I weighed in at 291 lbs - so that is 35lb lost already! I did lose 20lb before surgery and now 15lb after. I have had absolutely no complications. I do feel hunger (I think) however I am sated very quickly and easily. I am feeling more energetic and cant wait to start exercising. It is a lifestyle change, but after spending 43 years yoyoing all over the place and being mainly obese, I thought enough was enough, I dont want to be a fat old woman! I would recommend this surgery to anyone who has struggled with their weight for a long time and wants a chance to start again!
  • ashleegil
    ashleegil Posts: 26
    Options
    I am on day 6 of my 2 week pre-op diet, I start full liquid on Friday until my surgery next Thursday (April 25th.)

Most of us who are having or have already had the sleeve are in serious danger of dying very young due to complications related to obesity. I have been on and off diets my whole life, have lost more than 100 pounds 3 times in my adult life(since puberty) and I just cannot keep it off. For me the sleeve is providing me a tool to use to facilitate a "re-training" I will call it of how to eat proper portions and what foods to eat. Life is precious and you can either take a leap and have another chance or stay on the teeter totter battle of the large life and ultimately pay the consequences. For me, the choice was easy. I just wish I wouldn't have waited the 3 years from the time I initially started researching it to do it.
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

My wife and I are both considering the surgury for numerous reason, not just normal weightloss, but we are wanting to have children and with her weight what it is, pregnancy would be very difficult on her and the potential baby. We're both over 300lbs (I'm 358), and have tried various things to drop the weight. We went on 06/12/2013 to the University of Tennessee Bariatic Center to get better informed on the procedure. I was skeptical going into it, but I'm now extremely interested.

I've noticed on other forums people have mentioned that they no longer feel hungry since the surgury. The reason is that with the part of the stomach that is removed, the hormones that signal to the brain "hunger" are also removed with it. From what was said is that it is important to still get your meals and nutrition. All the horror stories I've read and heard are all from people not getting their nutrition, it's not the surgury. The biggest point that was made at the doctor's office and at the seminar was that the surgury is just a tool its not the fix. You have the combine the surgury with a complete change of behavior. I know this is easier said than done with not having the surgury yet, but its the thing that has stuck with me.

I normally wouldn't say anything nice about my insurance, but both the insurance and the bariatic center require a 3 month pre-op plan that makes sure we are well aware of all the pros/cons of the procedure and we are required to loose weight before the surgury. I don't think the insureance cares how, but the surgeons do and on our first visit we were given a calorie minimum with a protein goal. I have to eat atleast 1400 calories and 160 grams of protein a day and get my 64+ ounces of water. This is just to reset my metabolism. In a few weeks we meet with a dietitian to set up a plan for us. The nurse told us that a lot of people have come in with their minds set on the surgury, went through the required dietitian and ended up loosing 30 or so pounds before the 2 week liquid diet and decided to not have the surgury and keep up with the diet set for them. I thought that was really good to know.

The biggest thing to us is that we have to mentally change before the physical change comes in 3 months. We are starting to take more vitamins now, watching what we eat, get more exercise and most importantly do this together. This way we can be there for one another and understand what the other is going through.

Enough of my rambling. Good luck to those who are considering it, and good luck to those who had it.