How long until BP improvements?

Options
highervibes
highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
I know this can be different for everyone but I have VERY high blood pressure 160/90 and I am going to be put on medication to control it. I'm surprised I haven't noticed any change since I've been LC since March 8th and lost 13lbs in that time as well. I know it's not crazy, but I was hoping SOMETHING would budge. I know this is a YMMV type of question but how long until you saw improvements to your BP? How long can I expect to be on medication? I am sooooo NOT a pill popper, I need to fix this ASAP. I run almost every night for 30 minutes, not very fast a speedwalker could pass me. I also take a magnesium supplement. I am eating LC... I just don't know what else to do! It's really hard to go against the grain (pun intended) when it comes to medical recommendations and then NOT see results. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Most people see an improvement in blood pressure from diet and exercise somewhere in the first three months. Yes, it could be three full months.

Losing fat is certainly helping, so keep doing it...

Cardiovascular exercise itself typically accounts for between 5 and 10 systolic points - which isn't a lot, but it's enough for some people to get off meds.

If you haven't already, and have the opportunity - look into adding weight-training. Weight-training can (during contraction) temporarily increase your blood pressure, but it has some of the best gains in reducing blood pressure overall for many people. So if your own MD ok's weight-training, you may want to add it in.

If you switch up your exercise a bit - say 3 days of your jogging and 3 days of weight-training... that regimen combined with continued diet and weight loss can, after a few months (yes, months not normally weeks) generally make a noticeable impact that could keep you off medications for hypertension.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Also of note... if you DO decide to try weight-lifting, go with lighter-weights/higher-reps (a good guide is a weight with which you can do 12 to 15 reps with good form).

Going low-reps/heavy weight is great for increasing strength, but may result in BP peaks during your muscular contractions that are unnecessarily high.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Thanks AB, I was hoping you'd reply! Your posts are so well thought out and helpful :)
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, and I'm glad AB responded too! I have excellent BP, but my husband just took his last night and it was 165/102.. He has no symptoms of high BP, and trust me, I watch for them.

Good to know... good to know! Making changes (started last night) in his diet and exercise.
  • sue2328
    sue2328 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    had mine checked after 3 months on low carb and found to my astonishment it had dropped considerably - i was border line meds and now down to near normal. keep at, it will work.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Just wanted to add an update that my sister who is an ND student has been taking my blood pressure regularly because it's been high and my doctor wanted to medicate....... drumroll please..... 130/78 - 140/80!!!! I know there is room for improvement and that's not "perfect" but it's better than the 160/90 170/95 I started with. I kept asking her if there was any chance she was "off" being a first year and all -- she said, maybe 2-3 points. So thrilled right now :)))))
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I noticed it in about 3 months, i also tell you anecdotally for me anyhow, the BP meds made losing weight a lot harder, i have been off them and in the past few months instead of being STALLEd, my weight has gone down , when i asked my RN for my cardiologist about it , she said , that because the BP meds control heart rate- :heart: the full positive effects of cardio aren't realized :brokenheart: ... whew, that was kind of a shocker for me ..:noway:

I am completely off meds now, watch my salts- and processed carbs , and i have to say, its definitely:heart: made me feel better..