New Foods You Find Yourself Loving

Options
SnicciFit
SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
Since going paleo and doing my first Whole30s, there are a lot of foods that I have tried for the first time and now love or that I used to hate and now love:

1) Coconut. I used to HATE anything with coconut in it. Now I use coconut milk and oil daily and use coconut flakes occasionally too!

2) Avocado. I used to think it was just mushy weird green stuff. Now I eat it almost every day!

3) Nuts. I never was a nut eater before, but I now I enjoy almonds, cashews, macs & pistachios.

Replies

• LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is the new fav for me. I was blown away at how much it really does fake out pasta.
  • cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think mine will be anything without sugar...LOL...I will let ya know..
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Parsnips! When roasted they get carmelized and taste like candy, I swear. I've also started slicing them up thin and making them like fries. Delicious.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    All good ones above! Only one I'd disagree on is nuts and coconut, but that's because I liked them before going Paleo, haha.

For me, I've recently (maybe a year or so ago) discovered leeks. If you don't eat them, I strongly recommend trying them braised. My favorite vegetable.
    I also really enjoy cooked kale and have started eating tomatoes. I've also really started enjoying cabbage, asparagus, and broccoli.

Pretty much everything tastes better I find. Once our bodies get over all the artificial sweeteners and salt that it's used to eating in a conventional diet, the taste of everything else is just enhanced.

Just yesterday, I used some unsweetened applesauce to make some ketchup and I ate the rest of the cup for my dessert. I had a mini panick and thought I may have accidentally grabbed sweetened because it was so sweet. I checked and sure enough, it was unsweetened (phew, didn't have to restart the Whole30!). I used to think unsweetened applesauce was gross because it didn't taste like anything and was sour.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Parsnips! When roasted they get carmelized and taste like candy, I swear. I've also started slicing them up thin and making them like fries. Delicious.

I need to try this!
  • SnicciFit
    Options

Pretty much everything tastes better I find. Once our bodies get over all the artificial sweeteners and salt that it's used to eating in a conventional diet, the taste of everything else is just enhanced.

^^^ so true! I had no idea that plain almonds are actually SWEET!
  • bananasandbarbells
    bananasandbarbells Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Things I wish I didn't like are nuts! haha because I just can't stop eating them but Im going on a hiatus for my addiction haha!

But seriously, I would agree with coconut flakes and avocado. Also, mixed peppers and sweet potatoes..never used to eat them and now they are staples in my diet!
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    cauliflower - i never used to touch it really because it was bleh. but made my first mash last night and with some garlic and a little ghee and coconut milk was good :)
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the cauliflower.....shallots are my new found favorite!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Just really discovered hashbrown parsnips this morning. Oh man were they good.

Just grated them and sauteed them in coconut oil (with some cinnamon sprinkled on top). Sooo good.

Will have to try parsnips fries soon.
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Coconut aminos! I have been making stir fry with it. Amazing

I already liked most whole30 foods.
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OH! And Trader Joes plantain chips. Love them with guac.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Coconut aminos! I have been making stir fry with it. Amazing

LOVE the coconut aminos. I use it for the same thing. I'll never use soy sauce again!
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just really discovered hashbrown parsnips this morning. Oh man were they good.

Just grated them and sauteed them in coconut oil (with some cinnamon sprinkled on top). Sooo good.

Will have to try parsnips fries soon.

beautiful - i bought parsnips this week - hadn't decided what to do with them yet :) now i know.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have always loved orange-flavored anything but never really liked eating actual oranges but my kids had a walk-a-thon a few weeks ago that I volunteered at. They had bought Cara Cara oranges for the kids. They intrigued me. When I was at Costco this past weekend, they had a village-size bag for $6.99 so I got it and I have loved them!!

Definitely going to try those parsnips also!!