Seeing a StrongFirst Trainer Today for the First Time

Options
I'm going to see a strong first certified trainer today. I've been using kettlebells for about 3 months. My form seems to be not terrible comparing it to some of the videos I've watched. Mostly I'm going to have my form checked out/corrected where needed before I start Geoff Neupert's Kettleburn and eventually I want to do the 10K swing challenge.

My strength gains have been huge since starting in January. Originally, my 18kg bell was just challenging enough for all of my single arm exercises. Three months later I've replaced my 18kg bell with a 32kg. I know a jump from 18-32 is a large jump, but I'm pretty sure an 18 was too light after I became used to the mechanics of the exercises. Plus the local sporting goods store had their last 32kg competition bell on clearance for <$1 a pound. While the new bell is challenging it isn't too challenging except for my left arm TGUs. TGUs are my least favorite (and weakest) exercise, so they are my new focus area.

My main goals to get help with from a trainer (are these realistic expectations?)

1) Make sure I'm using proper form to prevent injury.
2) advice on how to increase my TGU (my ultimate goal is to be able to do >50% of my body weight)
3) possibly advice on how to lose 5-7% body fat.

Replies

• KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Those sound like great, realistic goals to work with a certified trainer on. And wow did you get a deal on that bell!!
  • WindmillTilter
    WindmillTilter Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why the bell was so cheap. I even had them check it twice it rang up for on sale for the same price as the 16kg one, so I jumped at it.

My first visit went great. I was happy to hear my form was surprisingly good for learning from videos and just doing what felt right.

I couldn't be happier with my trainer. I'm going back once a week now to fine tune my form. I even did my first 5 min snatch test as a starting point. I can't get across how glad I am that I went! :-)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing fantastically well! It's great to hear that you were doing better than you thought you were with your form. Trainer sounds great, too.

You sure did score with that 32kg bell on clearance! I'm envious!

I'll bet you'll learn to love TGUs after you've done zillions of 'em :wink:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous!

I also think you'll grow to love TGUs once you truly master the form. I would do them every day if it wouldn't interfere with my other training goals, and I constantly find myself doing difficult things in real life and thinking to myself "I can do this because of all those TGUs." It's a nice feeling.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Curious...who are you training with? If you don't mind telling.
  • WindmillTilter
    WindmillTilter Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nicci Johnson. I found her through Strong First. I keep gushing about how happy I am to find someone other than youtube videos and programs I've downloaded.Prior to this I'd never been to any trainer of any type and I forgot how much harder I work with someone standing there watching me.

There is one HUGE downside to this though. I just found out she will be moving to San Diego this summer, so I need to get in as much education as I can before then.