PRE Couch to 5k

Options
sarahwilson12
sarahwilson12 Posts: 70 Member
So, not sure about anyone else... but - the couch to 5k has been killing me!
I started off okay, by skipping two of the jogging times & then walking for longer afterwards. But, week 1 was not good. The final day, my sister literally had to PULL me to get me to finish my jogging.

But, then today, I gave up. It was supposed to be day 2 of week 2. Part way through the jogging, I just stopped & continued walking. Understandably, my sister was frustrated with me & was trying to convince me that I could do it... But, I honestly felt like I couldn't. I honestly didn't even remotely WANT to.

All along, I had been telling myself that I couldn't do it. I had this mentality from the very beginning, and it hasn't changed. I can be very stubborn at times, and I was when it came to this - but, on the wrong side of things. I was determined not to do it.

But, then my sister called me a quitter. And, I didn't like that. I know that she's right - I often give up on things & then don't try them again 'cause I'm afraid of failure. I've taken counselling courses at school, so if it were someone else I was talking with, I'd know what to say to encourage & motivate them... but, I just can't seem to do it for myself.

So, I came back home & decided to look for a pre couch to 5k. I figured, there must be other people who can't do this.

I literally have been trying to go from the couch to 5k. I only work about once a week, so the majority of my week has been spent sitting at home watching TV.
After searching for a little while, I came across this:

http://coacheaglesgirl.blogspot.ca/2011/07/pre-c25k.html

Walking for half an hour is something that is easy for me. So, that part is down. But... the jogging - not so much.

Therefore, here's to second chances. Here's to not giving up. Here's to losing this weight & being able to look back and say, "Wow! I did it!"

Replies

• jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You indicated that you can easily walk for 30 min. The first week of c25k is primarily walking with 6 one minute running segments in the middle. Try running as long as you can for these segments. If week one is a little longer than a week not a problem. Repeat until you are comfortable to move to the next level. You will see the body responds faster than you might think. Everybody has off days. Just brush it off and run the next day.

I did c25k last year. Most of it was outdoors on level tracks and paths. I ran three 5ks last year. I have never enjoyed running until I started using this program. This year I am training on very hilly routes. Can't run all of the hills yet but plan to over the course of several months.

I used NHS c25k podcast. From what I have read, Zombies run starts off easier than the NHS program does.

Enjoy!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    You are so right - "Couch to 5k" is a misnomer. It's really intended for people who haven't run but are active, not the true couch potatoes like us. Week 1 took me 7 attempts; week 4 might take that many but I'm still in there.

It looks like the pre-C25k is a good plan to get you started. Just don't give up, even if your sister is running rings around you. And don't quit or you'll never hear the end of it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you for not giving up and finding a strategy to get you to your goals. Nobody CARES if you only run a minute the first day or that it takes you 3 or 6 or 12 months to complete the program. If you keep making gains, you'll get there in the end and it will open the door to a lifetime of running. You will make it in the end!
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm glad you looked into this and haven't given up.
    Have a look at your speed, are you trying to go too fast?
    My running pace is slow, in fact I think my speed walking is quicker, but running requires something else so its all practice.
    although its nice to buddy up you need to go at your own pace, in the session and overall.
    Good luck, and with perseverance you will get there.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well done on persisting!
    That's great you've found something to help ease you into C25K. It's harder to stay motivated with a program that's too challenging.

I have two suggestions, though, since you say walking is so easy (if you can walk that easily, then week 1 should not be impossibly hard):-
    Firstly, are you running too fast? I *thought* I was running slowly but I really struggled. Eventually I slowed down even more and found the program much more doable.
    Secondly, are you wearing a proper, well-fitting sports bra? I was using a cheap sports-bra that didn't fit completely (I think it was off by about half a cup size) and when I finally got a well-fitting one it made SUCH a HUGE difference. When your breasts have too much wiggle/bounce room they can really knock the breath out of you!!

And regards to your sister - it's great that she wants to help motivate you, but calling someone a quitter is just de-motivating. A quitter would give up entirely and just sit on the couch all night. A quitter would not go out and attempt to run and realise okay, I'm not at the right fitness level for this yet, but I can still walk it!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am going to point somethings out to you....

The first thing is this:
    All along, I had been telling myself that I couldn't do it. I had this mentality from the very beginning, and it hasn't changed.
    If you go into this thinking you can't do this, then you won't. I am sorry, but it is the truth. Until you get the mentality that you want to do this and that you will succeed, you will fail. You need to get your mind in this before anything else. Everyone will tell you, this is 50% physical and 50% mental. You can't succeed if both aren't there.

Second:
    But, then today, I gave up. It was supposed to be day 2 of week 2. Part way through the jogging, I just stopped & continued walking. Understandably, my sister was frustrated with me & was trying to convince me that I could do it... But, I honestly felt like I couldn't. I honestly didn't even remotely WANT to.
    Tell me the one thing that sticks out in that statement?

The biggest thing for me is:
    my sister
    . Good for her for not giving up on you, but this isn't about her. This is about you wanting this. If you are only doing this because of your sister, then yes you will fail.

I am not going to sugar coat it for you. It is hard. It is hard to go out and run. But to be honest, you will have periods when you become a runner where this will happen. EVERY RUNNER HAS IT. Every runner has that day where they wake up and don't feel or don't want to do it...but they still go out there and do it. You have to want to do this, and it has to be FOR YOU. Until then, until you get that mentality that "Yes this sucks, but I know eventually I will cross the finish line and I will do this" you will fail over and over.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    rduhlir, I think you're basically right, but I'd like to add a caveat.

You see, I started the program about 95% certain that I would cap out. That I wouldn't be able to do it. That I'd get to week four and hit some invisible wall created by my lack of slow twitch muscle fibers and exercise induced asthma. I didn't even tell anybody that I was doing it until about week 5. I NEVER would have been able to overcome the physical challenges you did.

HOWEVER, I told myself that it was ok. I was just trying this. Nobody would fire me or give me a bad grade if I didn't make it. The program promised success and I'd give it my best shot. If I didn't make it through, then I'd be happy with whatever success I'd achieved. That's part of the reason why I was going as slow as I could. I was just trying to do the bare minimum and check the box each day because that was ALL the success I was going after. I wasn't trying to run a 5k. I would have been happy just to get back to a place where I could walk one.

Given that the Sarah is still trying and has found an alternative to get her ready for the C25k program, I don't think she necessarily lacks motivation. But, you are 100% correct, if she isn't willing to push herself at all, that's another issue entirely. This isn't comfortable at all, especially in the early weeks. You do have to give it YOUR best shot.

I think the other posters are right too - Sarah's going to fast. "Part way through the jogging, I just stopped & continued walking....But, I honestly felt like I couldn't. I honestly didn't even remotely WANT to. " This is EXACTLY what I felt when I was doing intervals at way to high a rate.

You're also 100% correct about Sarah's sister. My bet is that her sister is naturally more athletic and Sarah's trying to keep up at too high a speed. She should try week one over again by herself S-L-O-W-L-Y. If she can't get out the door by herself, she should choose an activity that she'll actually enjoy.
  • msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Everyone will tell you, this is 50% physical and 50% mental. You can't succeed if both aren't there.

I'll even say it's even more mental than phyiscal. Your body will adjust physically to whatever your mind push it to do :flowerforyou:
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Have you considered redoing the week until it seems a little easier, then progressing?

One thing that has helped me is to trust the program. I'm on week 4, and if it wasn't for my bf running with me, I wouldn't be making it through. I want to give up at the first sight of pain, but he helps me realize I am capable. I am considering redoing week 4 because it is hard on me, but I also have a time limit because I want to be able to at least jog my whole first 5K in June.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for not giving up! That attitude shows that you CAN do the program when you're ready to.

It's important to have a good walking base. If you already walk for 30 minutes, that's a great start. Aim for being able to briskly walk for up to an hour. Slowly add a few jogging sessions (1 minute or so) throughout your walk.
    Then, when you feel ready, start the program. Remember to jog slowly. That's one of the keys.

Keep trying and posting here for support, even if you aren't doing the program yet. You can do this!
  • sarahwilson12
    sarahwilson12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support & suggestions.

I don't know why I have such issues jogging... probably because I'm out of shape. Walking is no issue @ all - I could go for 1.5 hr walk & be perfectly fine. I just easily run out of breath when I jog.

I don't think I'm jogging too fast. It's pretty slow & I've asked my sister to slow down so I can keep up. The whole reason we were doing it together is because she hates jogging as much as I do, but since she's in the military now, she has to keep active.

I know I can do this, but when I'm out there trying to do it, I convince myself that I can't. I want to do it & I know that it will be worth it in the long run, but I often just don't feel like doing it. I realize this is not an excuse & that I still need to push myself through it. I'm hoping to do exactly that by starting off more slowly.

I have no problem with repeating weeks. In fact, I'm pretty sure I will have to repeat weeks in order to actually be prepared for the next week. I'll definitely keep you all up to date, mostly as an accountability thing.

Thanks again! :smile:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice now (got injured well after finishing it the first time) and your mind can play tricks on you.

If you can walk easily for a half hour, that's great. How about 35 minutes? 45 minutes? An hour? Time to find out.

If you can walk an hour three times a week (and really there is no reason you can't do that 5 times a week) you should be ready for week one.

If you get to a workout you can't finish, keep at it until you can. The first time I did the program it took me about 12 weeks to finish it. Don't get hung up on the schedule, focus on doing the workouts correctly and moving on to the next one.

Lastly, I'd say that it's time to look at your diet if you haven't already. Eliminate the junk food, sodas (diet and regular) and sugar and eat real food. You'll be shocked how good it makes you feel and how much energy it will give you.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Took a quick glance at your diary. If you are consistently burning 600 calories a day, I would say you need to eat a bit more. I try not to be more than 500 calories in deficit per day. Do that and you will lose roughly a pound per week.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Walking uses wildly different muscles than running. I can walk for miles but the running part was TOUGH. As a matter of fact, if my legs are tired now, like after a visit to the zoo, I'll run because those muscles aren't tired at all.

I still think you're going too fast. Do you feel recovered after each walk? One person stopped and stretched during his walks, to help loosen up and recover for his runs. That might be a good idea for you as well.
  • Mandy_SD
    Mandy_SD Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Could it be your going too fast? If you're running out of breath you're probably going to fast. It's nice that you're running with your sister but if she's in the military I'm guessing she's in great shape. You're probably running faster than you should in order to keep up with her. S L O W D O W N now and it will become easier.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The other thing about being out of breath...are you breathing with your diaphragm? Are you slouching over when you run? You should be pulled up through the front of your body and be able to feel your tummy move out and in with each breath.