question Did anyone gain weight raising their calories

Options
I started out before doing this eating 900-1,000 calories. according to scoobysworkshop with my weight, height, age, work out level I am to eat 1665 calories. I've been eating as close to that as possible the past 3 days. I weighed 175 pounds but now at 179. is this normal to see weight gain at first or am I doing something wrong?

I try to eat as healthy as I can and eat 3 meals and 2 snacks spaced every few hours. I work out doing 30 day shred. I know I had some sweets like the chunky monkey smoothie and strawberry shortcake so maybe i need to ditch those. the thing is though my clothes still fit and my shirts are still baggy and my pants are still loose.

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    yup. Mine went up 7 pounds in 2 weeks from 1600 to 1900 calories per day, though I should be in maintenance at 2100. Riding it out for a couple more weeks. only difference in activity level is that I am doing the 30 day squat challenge, but i doubt that would be enough for me to hold on to that much water in my muscles, or to have gained that much muscle in my legs.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    okay thanks I thought maybe I was doing something wrong that was why I was gaining weight. i went from eating 900-1,000 calories to my 1665 and eating 3 meals, 2 snacks so I am guessing my body needs to get used to the idea its not in starving mode anymore its rebelling perhaps?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Its your body refilling its stores since you were eating so little, the best way to avoid any huge jumps is to slowly increase your calories to your set amount.. but if your there now your body will adjust eventually but you may see an increase on the scale from it.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    Options
    okay thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or not.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you read most of the threads here we all talk about initial weight gain. I didn't lose anything for 2 months! It's a process.
  • md804
    md804 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've been doing exactly the same thing as you, going from 995 to 1700 (didn't realise I was eating so little until I started logging my calories!), and have gone up by a few pounds since I upped my calories. A few lovely people here advised me to stay away from the scales, but take measurements instead. Can you believe it, I've already lost half an inch from my thighs! This has made me feel much, much better, so perhaps put the scales away for a few weeks and get out your measuring tape instead?

I'll add you as a friend and we can support each other!
  • SweetHarmony81
    SweetHarmony81 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yep, have gained around 10-11lbs going from 1400 to currently 2200!
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've gained 4 or something lbs after a few weeks of maintenance level (the fact I'm not accurate shows how little I'm bothered by it!). I plateaued since Aug 2012 and didn't lose anything whether I had a 500 cal deficit or 250 cal deficit. I'm determined to stick with it for another 6 weeks before I make a tiny cut of 10%.

My calories have gone from 1300, followed by 1460 and now up to anywhere between 1700-2250 depending on my exercise levels on a particular day.

Don't let the gain put you off, it's worth it in the grand scheme of fixing your metabolism :smile:
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    Options
    okay thanks I just wanted to see if I was doing something wrong but will do as you suggest to keep away from the scale and measure.
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    I just recently started upping my calories and have gained as well :( I'm not stressing out too much about it and just try to stay patient... I'm in this for the long run! but the higher number on the scale does feel very discouraging at first...