Scooby Calculator Telling me to Eat Below BMR

Options
highervibes
highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
So I put in all my data in the Scooby calculator (32YO F, 215lbs 66" tall, -20%cut, Desk job with little exercise)

It gives me 1744 BMR, 2093 TDEE, and a cut number of 1674

Maybe I've misunderstood something, but shouldn't I ALWAYS eat my BMR? Or because I have 50+ more to lose can I eat less? I'm confused!!!

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Your cut is too steep, go for 15% and if you really do not exercise then its ok. If you exercise then you would eat back those calories or just switch your activity level to lightly active(1-3 hours) or moderate(3-5 hours)
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Your cut is too steep, go for 15% and if you really do not exercise then its ok. If you exercise then you would eat back those calories or just switch your activity level to lightly active(1-3 hours) or moderate(3-5 hours)

^^^^ what she said
  • highervibes
    Options
    So would it be okay to eat at BMR and eat back SOME exercise cals? I run 5x/week (light jog, intervals C25K nothing game changing but still something)
  • aliciab307
    Options
    If you exercise regularly you should just factor that into your activity level. eating at your BMR basically the amount calories your body requires if you were in a coma. I think it would be better to set your activity level to lightly active instead of desk job and give yourself a 15% cut and do not eat back exercise calories.. This way you eat the same amount everyday UNLESS you do some extensive exercise that causes your net calorie intake to be less than your BMR
  • highervibes
    Options
    If you exercise regularly you should just factor that into your activity level. eating at your BMR basically the amount calories your body requires if you were in a coma. I think it would be better to set your activity level to lightly active instead of desk job and give yourself a 15% cut and do not eat back exercise calories.. This way you eat the same amount everyday UNLESS you do some extensive exercise that causes your net calorie intake to be less than your BMR

That's a good idea, THANKS!
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Sorry to butt in but what makes you say the cut is too steep? Mine was telling me to eat below if I put desk job as well.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options

Sorry to butt in but what makes you say the cut is too steep? Mine was telling me to eat below if I put desk job as well.

I am not sure why anyone would choose desk job (sedentary) as an activity level. If you walk around some at work, walk around the house at home, walk to and from your car, go to the grocery store, etc. To me that is at least lightly active (1-3 hours per week).
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think if you use sedentary as your activity level and do a standard 20% cut, the numbers often put you at below BMR. That's what happened to me, as well. I posted the same question here on MFP and folks suggested splitting the diff between TDEE and BMR, so that's what I did and it worked well. When I started doing Stronglifts I upped my activity level in the equation and therefore my suggested caloric intake was then well above BMR. I much prefer that, I'd much rather be able to eat more!
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    when you eat 20% reduction its usually close to your bmr so try dropping to 10-15%
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    So would it be okay to eat at BMR and eat back SOME exercise cals? I run 5x/week (light jog, intervals C25K nothing game changing but still something)

You are not desk job with little exercise.. redo your numbers with your exercise factored in.. Underestimating your activity level and eating less will slow your progress or cause plateaus
  • dinomomma
    Options

I am not sure why anyone would choose desk job (sedentary) as an activity level. If you walk around some at work, walk around the house at home, walk to and from your car, go to the grocery store, etc. To me that is at least lightly active (1-3 hours per week).
    I just looked mine up with desk job to see if it gave me below BMR, I agree, no one should put that!
  • aliciab307
    Options

The deficit is just too large
  • dinomomma
    Options

The deficit is just too large
    So no one should do 20% everyone should do 10-15?
  • aliciab307
    Options
    For people with over 60 lbs or so its ok to have a larger deficit but as you near closer to your goal its important to decrease the deficit.thats why it is also important to know your body fat so you're not going for an unattainable body weight

ETA
    Also 20 can sometimes bring a person to net below bmr which isnt recommended. I may do a 20% cut for a week or two to speed up weight loss but after that a 15% cut or even 10% would be more sustainable plus more food!

I guess it depends on your goals as well. I'm leaning toward body recomp than body weight