You look so slim...Ouch...That hurts

Options

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

I've had a guy say to me I look nothing like my pics. And I've had guys say to me that I look better in person.

The point is that people's perceptions are way different. We literally all SEE differently!! And perceive things in our brains, differently!!

That's why it's irrelevant to let something like that change your perception of yourself. It's really a non issue what 'anybody' thinks. The only person that needs to love you, is you!!

In relation to this, would everyone PLEASE go and watch the three-minute video at the link below. I'm not normally one for these things, but this was both moving and very, very thought-provoking. We are our own worst critic, and the way others see us is rarely how we see ourselves.

http://mashable.com/2013/04/15/dove-ad-beauty-sketches/
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Janie, You have a way to turn any compliment into a negative about yourself. I wish that were not the case because it makes me sad to hear. Perhaps it's time to stop reading so much into what a handful of people say?
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I've had a guy say to me I look nothing like my pics. And I've had guys say to me that I look better in person.

The point is that people's perceptions are way different. We literally all SEE differently!! And perceive things in our brains, differently!!

That's why it's irrelevant to let something like that change your perception of yourself. It's really a non issue what 'anybody' thinks. The only person that needs to love you, is you!!

In relation to this, would everyone PLEASE go and watch the three-minute video at the link below. I'm not normally one for these things, but this was both moving and very, very thought-provoking. We are our own worst critic, and the way others see us is rarely how we see ourselves.

Ummm... I linked to that already in this thread...
  • pa_jorg
    Options

Thank you both for sharing, that was a great video!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

So you did! Sorry - slightly different address, so I didn't realise as I skimmed through :flowerforyou:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've been on dates before with women who looked completely different to their pictures on the site before (my space angles should've known better) and I would rather they were more honest beforehand as for me it pretty much ruins my opinion of you even before the date if you're already lying, that being said I don't expect a picture of you after an all night binge in the morning :laugh:

This reminds me of my boss's brother who chewed a woman out for being 100lbs heavier in person than in her pic. It was wrong for him to do this. But it's the same treatment women get who AREN'T trying to lie in their photos. It’s irritating when a guy looks at me and assumes I was playing that game when I wasn’t.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Janie, You have a way to turn any compliment into a negative about yourself

I don't take what she said as a compliment. I take the fact that she kept going back and forth looking at me and the picture and saying she can't believe it's a recent pic of me from because I looked so slim in the pic as an accidental offense. One of those things where you don't realize you've hurt the other person til too late. I think she realized how it sounded and kept trying to fix it but was unable to.

I'm not offended at her...so please don't take this post to mean I'm mad at her or downing myself**.

I honestly considered it an "ah-ha" moment as to explaining why I get this kind of thing a lot. I thought others might realize the same thing about themselves. I guess it’s like reading that report from one of the online sites that black women are the least favorite group by men on their site. I didn’t get offended and feel bad like some folks did. I said, “Oh, that’s the problem” and took it off the list of things to worry about since there’s nothing I can actually do to change it.

**My blog post the other day about being the fat girl in all my classes, yeah, that was me downing myself: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JanieJack/view/i-m-so-tired-of-being-the-fat-girl-at-crossfit-519428
  • JanieJack
    Options

I’ve never had a guy say I look better in person, though there have been men like BB who thought I was beautiful both in pics and in person.

Funny story: I had a few guys that looked better in person and told them. One of those was a guy who looked like a gangsta in his pic, but a down-home -country-boy in real life. One guy I DIDN’T tell he looked better was someone who had used old pictures and was actually much older than his pictures suggested. I really wanted to, but there’s no polite way to say, “I’m so glad you’re in my age range after all- your pictures made you look so young.”
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

OMG that was awesome!! And SOOOO true!!! Thanks for sharing :)

I have been told a million times that I'm the splitting image of this actress from Four Weddings and a Funeral. I dont think I look like her at all. I mean, I can't even see a resemblance. *shrug* But I've been approached in the street!!! lol

Like I said, people SEE things differently. Not just people, but trees and the sun and colours. Some comments appeal to you. Some don't. In fact, I tend to ignore the negative one's as I think those types of people 'see' the world in a negative way :)

charlotte4.jpg
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    I am fairly photogenic. Notice though that every photo I have is pretty calculated. I know my angles. One side of my face photograhps better and I always try and catch a little jawline. I can look awful in a picture too...but I'm a poser and I tend to not post things I look bad or caught off guard in. I do feel better about body shots now. It is pretty exciting to see myself in a picture and not be completely embarrassed and shocked about how huge I am. I get the same sense when I hold up a pair of pants and think "they are so small! I won't fit!" and then I do. Kinda blows the mind.

Anyway, I have had men compliment me and say I look better in person, but I also get told I'm photogenic. Meh.
    Honestly.. I don't care. I'm going to be content at a size 12/14 and know that I am also built like a linebacker. Yup, there are lots of tiny, fit women who sometimes I envy for their petite frames...but I also have a sense of pride in knowing I could bench press them. Dating someone who is 6'5 and outweighs me considerably is also good for any size issues I've had.
  • pa_jorg
    Options

I don't take what she said as a compliment.

Ok so there were extenuating circumstances to the way she reviewed your pic, but MOST people use the word photogenic to be a compliment is my point. Could it be that she got awkward because she realized you were insulted when she in fact meant to compliment you? Does that make sense?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

Ok so there were extenuating circumstances to the way she reviewed your pic, but MOST people use the word photogenic to be a compliment is my point. Could it be that she got awkward because she realized you were insulted when she in fact meant to compliment you? Does that make sense?

I think PJ is right. I've never used "photogenic" as an insult, always a compliment.

Eta - like Danielle, I know my good angles and use them to my advantage. I always put one hand on my hip, suck my belly in, and smile!

And Anna, you look nothing like her! I don't see how people get it...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

I think PJ is right. I've never used "photogenic" as an insult, always a compliment.

Eta - like Danielle, I know my good angles and use them to my advantage. I always put one hand on my hip, suck my belly in, and smile!

And Anna, you look nothing like her! I don't see how people get it...

I've been told I look like Keira Knightley. I've never seen it. I think a lot of time people just think CLOSE ENOUGH and go with it.

Though Anna, I do see similarities ;)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For those who don't know... "you're so photogenic" is what some people say to people whose pictures look better than they do in real life.
    I don't think that's what photogenic means at all. I have always interpreted it to mean that you usually look good in pictures, not necessarily that you look better than you do in real life. I am not photogenic at all, mainly because my eyes are usually closed or something to that effect. It doesn't mean I think I look that much better in real life, just that I take a lot of bad pictures.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    funny-cat-profile-photo-tagged-ugly-facebook-pics.jpg

I've been told I look like Keira Knightley. I've never seen it. I think a lot of time people just think CLOSE ENOUGH and go with it.

Though Anna, I do see similarities ;)

I see it.

I think it's a hit or miss for me when it comes to photos. Sometimes I look great, other times I look terrible, even when I am trying to get myself at a good angle. I know with my weight loss, everyone that knows me couldn't believe I was as big as I looked back then.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

Hahahahaha yes that is my life.

A girl I went to school with told me that I look like this girl. She's in a few things: Nurse Jackie, Remember Me (with Robert Pattinson). She is much prettier but we do have the same face shape, same strong eyebrows, same chin.

MV5BMjEwNDQ2MDQ2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgyOTg4OA@@._V1._SY314_CR9,0,214,314_.jpg
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    When I was in Korea, a taxi driver said I looked like Mariah Carey. Don't you just love drunk and blind taxi drivers?
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    When I was in Korea, a taxi driver said I looked like Mariah Carey. Don't you just love drunk and blind taxi drivers?

Racist. I'm sure Asian people can see just fine.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

This is especially hilarious because this was just posted on my FB page from a photo taken at Ren Faire.

165435_10101688465418621_480551610_n.jpg

MUAHAHAHAHAAAA I'm not afraid to be ugly (I'm the one not wearing pink lipstick, though yes that is a lipstick kiss on my chest)