Where to begin?!

Options
mellenorris
mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
Hi there! New to the group, sort of new to running.

I signed up for a TON of 5k's when I developed a shoulder injury that kept me from doing the circuit training I love. Just as a motivator to keep me active/not bummed out about my shoulder. It's not that I dislike running, but several years ago when I started getting into fitness, it was a nonstop battle with shin splints. My first 5k will be at the end of this month! Signed up for the Graffiti Run... nice and casual. I completed my first 5k without stopping last week (treadmill, not outside). I do enjoy outdoor running whenever the weather is agreeable, which has been very hit and miss here in Colorado!

I've recently invested in some new running shoes (Newtons!) that have totally cured my shin splints issue. They seem to force me to not land on my heels, and I love it. No more pain! I've obviously been training more, trying to do a 5k a few times a week (if walking, more distance). Yesterday some friends of mine persuaded me to sign up for a half-marathon in October... what was I thinking?! I've still got weight to lose, and I can just barely finish a 5k without stopping!

I'm being relocated for work for three months to the middle of nowhere desert land that is Gallup, NM. I've gotten advice to avoid running outside there - it's hot during the day, unsafe during the nights, and not particularly pedestrian-friendly. My hotel has a treadmill, so that's all I'll be training with (plus cross-training in my hotel room, if my shoulder will allow it!). What do you recommend for training? Any favorite programs? I'll be in this hotel through early August, with the half-marathon in late October. I feel like by not training outside, I'll be in trouble when I get back to Colorado and can run around on real hills again (fortunately, Gallup is at about the same elevation as my home town, so no concerns there). Any successful treadmill-only training stories out there?

To top it off, I'll be limited to food I can eat raw, or cook in a microwave (my hotel has a fridge, and a microwave in it.. but no oven!). It's going to be a challenge! What are your favorite foods pre- and post- run? I need all the tips and support I can get.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• rockstargal629
    Options
    For starters, congratulations on setting a huge goal for yourself!! In my experience it's setting goals like that and getting registered for races that turn wishes into reality.

As far as the treadmill training, if you absolutely can't train outside there are various programs on most treadmills to help combat stagnant training. The random setting for most treadmills will alter the incline at various percentages for 30 seconds to a minute. The downside to the random setting is that it's counter intuitive to the Smart pacing strategy that I adhere to. (and to that end I cannot recommend Smart Pacing or Pacers in general for distance races, it will help you accomplish your goals and have fun while doing it!)
    Smart Pacing is a mutli-faceted strategy that takes into account that every race and every mile is different. It takes into account inclines, declines and fade. In other words, unlike a treadmill, you will not be staying at the exact same pace every second of every mile of your race. You'll want to start out conservatively, take inclines easy, downhills are free, and finish strong. Back to the treadmill, using the random setting you'll want to increase your mileage by about 10% every week minimum. You'll also want to be running at least 4 days a week but not more than 5 (rest days are important to prevent injury as you build your mileage).

But, I would strongly recommend checking with local runners (maybe find a running group, running specialty store, etc) and check with them about safe routes or other areas you can run outdoors or on a track. I live in a small town in Kansas with a particularly high crime rate that's not pedestrian or runner friendly at all. But I still have 3 walking/biking/running paths that are at least a mile in length and well lit. So they exist pretty much everywhere, if you time things right you should still be able to get in outdoor runs.

Even if you can't run outdoors until after August that still gives you September and October to get back into the swing of outdoor training. If you've built your mileage up and done appropriate interval and incline training on the treadmill, you should have minimal setbacks in your transition outside. The most difficult part will be learning to pace yourself again.

On to food. :) My favorite topic lol. Pre-run and pre-race I stick with whole grains and water. But I won't eat or drink anything substantial in the hour leading up to my run. Some runners like myself experience horrible heartburn while running so I have to take a daily preventative antacid and right before races I take malox in addition to that. So what I eat has a big impact on my run in all sorts of ways. Post run I always always always go for milk, protein and fresh fruit or veggies. They have pre-cooked chicken breasts you can buy frozen, those would be a great option, and steamable veggies in the frozen section. As long as you've got a mini-fridge/freezer, you'll be ok!! And find what works for you :) Everyone is different in their preferences. I know runners who absolutely can't eat right after a run, and others who insist on drinking a ton of water right before a run.

No matter what, make a plan for yourself and do your best to stick to it (accounting for bad run days, sick days, PMS days, etc). And KNOW that no matter what happens you WILL cross that finish line. No matter what your pace, no matter what it takes to do it, it will happen. And it will be an incredible accomplishment!! Keep up the great work!
  • mellenorris
    Options
    For starters, congratulations on setting a huge goal for yourself!! In my experience it's setting goals like that and getting registered for races that turn wishes into reality.

[...]

Thank you! That's why I've signed up... keep that motivation going strong! No opportunities to wuss out!

I will definitely look into smart pacing. I'll give that random setting a try and slowly inch up my distance goals. How do you feel about cross training on rest days? I'm thinking about learning to swim while I'm out there :P I can barely stay afloat right now! Hooray for living in a land-locked state...

I've definitely been on the hunt for a local running group, but it's a very small town that isn't fitness-oriented at ALL! I still need to see about their gym opportunities - if there are any fitness groups, I bet I can find them there! FORTUNATELY, MFP has a search-by-location feature, so I've been adding MFP members left and right. They're giving me tons of advice about the area (trails that are a short drive away) and I'm hoping we'll be able to go on some hikes/runs together. I'll go nuts if I don't get to play outside!

Thanks for the food tips too! I LOVE those steamer veggie bags. If the mini-fridge is strictly a mini-fridge (no freezer), I'm hoping to be able to use the microwave to steam some fresh veggies. I'm planning on packing a knife and cutting board!

All of your tips are super helpful. I really, really appreciate your input. I feel like I'm starting from scratch here! Hopefully it goes well. I got all my hotel confirmations today - ready or not, I'm off to Gallup! All I will have to focus on out there is my fitness, so I'm trying to think positive about the whole thing :)
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    I think cross-training on rest days is good, I like to mix it up and combine strength training with my runs or hopping on the eliptical when I'm prepping for a big run the next day. The big thing is not to overdo it and to give yourself at least 1 full day off of everything per week. Rest days are just as vital to your training as anything else, overtraining can cause permanent damage and really set you back from your goals. Swimming is a great low impact activity and it burns crazy calories! It also takes a lot out of you for that reason so be sure not to do that within 1-2 days of any big runs your planning. Your body just won't have the stamina it needs.

Good luck and stay positive!!! Keep us posted on your progress!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Congrats are targeting that half. My favorite distance. I'd recommend getting yourself a foam roll and then check Runners World for videos on how to use it. When you up the miles you want to keep your IT bands and gluten nice and limber or you could end up with a mild injury. A lot of knee pain is not he knee, but tight IT bands or a weak glute
  • mellenorris
    Options
    Congrats are targeting that half. My favorite distance. I'd recommend getting yourself a foam roll and then check Runners World for videos on how to use it. When you up the miles you want to keep your IT bands and gluten nice and limber or you could end up with a mild injury. A lot of knee pain is not he knee, but tight IT bands or a weak glute

Thanks for the tip with the foam roller - I got one for physical therapy on my shoulder, hadn't thought about using it after runs! I'm pretty good about stretching, but this morning I'm a little tight from yesterday's run. Light walking or a small hike for me today... then to the foam roller!