Week 1- steps

Options
mommamuscles
mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
Just wanted to check in with everyone and see how your weeks are going I wanted to share the steps outlined in the book for this weeks principle-ditch the diet mentality.

1. Make a firm commitment to give up dieting for the rest of your life. As long as you hold on to even the slightest thought, promise, or hope that dieting is in your future, you will sabotage your ability to become an Intuitive Eater.
2. Throw out all of your calorie counters and old diet books and articles.
3. When friends talk about the newest fad diet, or you see a TV commercial or magazine article on dieting—avoid getting drawn into the excitement that might arise. Instead, take a deep breath and gently assure yourself that you are committed to a new way of thinking and feeling about food and eating, and that dieting is not a part of this new process.
4. Protect your food boundaries by refusing to allow others to tell you what to eat, when to eat, or how much to eat. Protect your body boundaries by refusing to allow others to make comments about your weight and body.
5. If you notice that you’re feeling rebellious or beginning to eat unconsciously, check in with yourself to see if you’re still holding on to diet thinking and diet rules that are triggering this[…]”

Going into this week I was pretty confident I didn't have this issue at all. Surprisingly though I've caught myself getting involved in alot of thoughts that I know are deeply ingrained from years of dieting. I have noticed I still view certain foods as off limits because at some point I've lost control when eating them. I've also noticed I have some pretty strict rules for myself about food timing that I'd like to be able to let go.

Personally, I'm struggling a bit with #2, because obviously I'm on a calorie counting website, haha. The primary reason I log my food is to make sure that I'm eating to support my workouts and my goals of building strength, getting in enough protein, etc. I really do want to make this transition to intuitive eating and maybe just check in here and there and make sure things are going according to plan.

When I think about giving myself unconditional permission to eat what I want AND NOT LOG IT, I feel terrified. I mean those kind of habits got me into some serious trouble. It wasn't all that long ago that I weighed 275 lbs and I'm terrified that I could go back there. Then again, I know there were a lot of issues there that are no longer in my life. I really don't believe I would let myself get to that point, and seriously I need to let this go. I do believe that there may be some kind of Learning curve but over the long run I think it would probably all balance out. If I truly listen to my body I know that I feel best when I am eating a balanced diet full of whole foods.
I do think its time to trust myself. I know there will be some ups and downs along the way and that is okay!!! Ultimately it comes down to listening to my body, eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full.

Curious....how many of you all have a long term goal of not tracking?

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think that's the main reason I picked up the book and joined your group. I'm sick of counting calories and hate the thought of having to do this the rest of my life. I've done several "fad" diets and even a couple paid, advertised ones. They worked great, once. And then never did again. And I killed my poor metabolism in the process. My biggest fear with each one was: how the heck do I maintain my weight loss? In the past I've always been able to lose weight - that was the easy part - but never kept it off for more than a few months at a time. I need a new tactic . . . instead of focusing on weight loss, I think i need to focus on what I can do naturally, easily, comfortably, for the rest of my life.

The last few nights I've been trying to listen to my body - and I'm done eating about 3/4ths of the way through my dinner. It's been kind of liberating to just put down my fork and say, I'm done. I'm still feeling like i have to run and check my macros, make sure my protein is more balanced. That's the "diet' mindset talking. I'm toying with the idea next week of not logging or maybe just ditching my Body Media Fit for the week. Going to tackle a few more chapters and weigh my options.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    While there are some aspects of intuitive eating that I would like to employ, I don't believe that I have the diet mentality. I actually enjoy logging my food (especially on MFP) mainly because I'm detailed in many aspects of my life, and I like to see what I'm eating. Logging helps me control mindless eating. More often than not, I'm over on my calories, so I don't feel like I'm a prisoner of calorie counting. I don't feel that I'm on a diet per se, but I know that I have to be conscious of my eating and can't go all "willy nilly" with food on a regular basis. I believe that eating more nutritious meals/snacks throughout the day will help. I may stop logging one day, but for now, I see it as a useful tool.

My challenge is more in line with #5, which may be tied to emotional eating. I will work to be mindful to "check in with myself" when I start to feel that I'm headed out of control and avoid overeating, especially those things that hamper my fitness success.
  • Momwa6
    Momwa6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i will admit jennifer hudson has a new commerical for weight watchers and i was tempted but i said no im not going to do that no.Im proud of myself there have been many days i have felt tempted to go back but what causes me not to is the dreaded though of tracking.Even on here sometimes since my phone was downgraded i had to take the phone app off and now log from my computer or phone browser and it gets too time consuming for me so i say nah dont need to .