I might want to start doing Oly style lifts

Options
BusyRaeNOTBusty
BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
Just for funsies. Know any good videos? I don't even know what a snatch is....

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am partial to the jerk myself!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think most people, at least this is true of most guys, generally spend a lot of time mastering the jerk (I think its the jerk & clean??) before moving onto the snatch.

Might be a technique thing...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think most people, at least this is true of most guys, generally spend a lot of time mastering the jerk (I think its the jerk & clean??) before moving onto the snatch.

Technique is very important...
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Lots of good videos on YouTube. Look of Mark Rippletoe for some good form tips. You can always ask a trainer or an experienced lifter to help you at the gym as well.

Have you considered a program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Technique is very important...

I say! :drinker:
  • Dan_Lifts
    Dan_Lifts Posts: 22
    Options
    http://californiastrength.com/

Lots of good form & progression videos for Olympic lifts here.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I love you for making this thread.

I'm going to go have a hormel, someone tell Odusgolp.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    can't....stop...giggling...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for the snatch videos
  • SideSteel
    Options
    nprzoo.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The clean and jerk is a lot easier to get right than the snatch. Lots more skill and technique involve in doing a snatch properly but the payoff is a whole lot better when you really do it right. I try to get as much practice as I can but with two kids it's hard.... er... difficult to get the time and space to really work on the snatch.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think i've spent more time working on my jerk than the snatch.

In high school I worked on both a lot but lately I've just given up.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Lots of good videos on YouTube. Look of Mark Rippletoe for some good form tips. You can always ask a trainer or an experienced lifter to help you at the gym as well.

Have you considered a program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5?

I've done Stronglifts. Been lifting heavy and consistently for 1.5 years, off and on since high school. I want to try something different. I don't know anyone any more that knows how to do them. I did have someone show me the clean and press when I was an undergrad but that was 10+ years ago.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The problem with transitioning from the c&j to the snatch is that it's not always intuitive.

You see, with the c&j it's very straight forward. You grip it and rip it. It pretty much just works from day one, and as you get better you can do more and more.

With the snatch though, there's so much going on. You can't just force it. I've given up on mastering it, I do just enough to keep my coach from banning me from the lift.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

With the snatch though, there's so much going on. You can't just force it. I've given up on mastering it, I do just enough to keep my coach from banning me from the lift.

In my college years I trained with multiple coaches at once. But a few quit training with me once they found out I was using other coaches.

So I did a lot of clean and jerks alone for a few months.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

In my college years I trained with multiple coaches at once. But a few quit training with me once they found out I was using other coaches.

So I did a lot of clean and jerks alone for a few months.

I think lots of guys go through this phase, I know I did. Then they wise up and realize they aren't getting any more snatch work even with all the variety of coaches, and they pick the one they like best (or hate the least). Much less stressful.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    All fun aside, I was actually really looking for some good Oly style lifting videos....
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    All fun aside, I was actually really looking for some good Oly style lifting videos....

I really like Pendlay's videos at California Strength. He's got a two or three part series for the snatch and the clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk

Plus he starts off talking about proper snatch grip. What could be wrong with that?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Stop ruining the best thread ever made.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Stop ruining the best thread ever made.

It's your group man, but I don't see any problems with jerk and snatch videos supplementing this thread...In fact, there are some people on my FL that I think are uniquely suited to the task.