1 Month in Dilemma!

Options
semira6
semira6 Posts: 36 Member
Hi All,
I started NROLFW a month ago and have been loving it! I've seen large improvements in my strength (specifically how much I can deadlift: 55lb while feeling like I'm dying to 70lb without problem, 80 tomorrow :) ) BUT today was my 1 month weigh in/measure to make sure I picked the right calorie goals aaaand it didn't go so well.

My calorie goal is based on the resting metabolic rate that was given to me by a calorimetry test I took at the doctor before I started New Rules. Since it was personalized I used that instead of the estimate in the book based on my weight and height. The calorimetry test said my RMR was 1390 so the book's calculation (-300 a day because I want to lose fat) had me eating 1924 on non-lifting days and 2202 on lifting days with 140 grams of protein a day (which I've been hitting). The book's calculation says my RMR is 1251 and I should be eating (-300 a day) 1703 on non-lifting days and 1953 on lifting day BUT my body burns 1750 when I go about my day normally - it just seems too low.

This morning revealed that while I had lost some inches (details below) and gained muscle I have ALSO gained a substantial amount of fat, which is not what I'm looking to do :(. I was hoping you could share any advice you might have about cutting calories on this program. I'm just worried that I'll cut too much and not have effective workouts (and not pinpoint that as the reason).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Starting NROLFW
Weight: 140
Body Fat %: 26.39%
Lean Mass: 103.1 lb
Fat Mass: 36.9 lb

1 Month In
Weight: 147
Body Fat %: 26.15%
Lean Mass: 109 lb
Fat Mass: 38 lb
Waist: -2"
Hips: -0.5"
Bust: -0"
Forearm: -0.5"
Upper Arm: -0.5"
Neck: -0.5:
Wrist: +0.5"

Replies

• semira6
    Options
    Anyone? :(
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I am not sure why you are unhappy with your results. You have both gained in LBM and lost BF % which is evident in the inches lost. So overall you probably look a lot leaner & cloths fit better then before starting the program.

On top of that you are getting stronger.

So its working and personally I wouldn't change anything.
  • semira6
    Options
    Really? Ok - I thought fat gained was a really bad sign since nothing besides overeating would do that in my mind.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think the body fat percentage is a better judge of how your body is reacting to the new program. It looks like you are doing great. A lot better than I did on my first month.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I am not sure why you are unhappy with your results. You have both gained in LBM and lost BF % which is evident in the inches lost. So overall you probably look a lot leaner & cloths fit better then before starting the program.

On top of that you are getting stronger.

So its working and personally I wouldn't change anything.

I agree with this, your LM is up, your inches all around are down, and you're only a month in so you haven't added back the cardio yet (right?). I say give it another month or two, while you did have the increase in fat due to eating at an excess, you're also experiencing LM gain for the same reason . . . you can't build something from nothing and you're tipping you bf% ratio. Keep going for 4 more weeks.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    First, how are you measuring your BF%? Anything other than BodPod, DEXA scan, or calipers is highly inaccurate. Even calipers are dependent on user knowledge. Online calculators are a good tool for trends (but still not exact). The scales and Omron type BF monitors vary greatly depending on hydration levels among other things. I can tell you that you did NOT gain 6lbs of muscle in one month. At most, you've gained a lb.
    I'd go by the inches and be THRILLED to lose that much in a month. Lost inches with an increase in weight is more than likely just a sign of your body retaining water for muscle repair. Sounds like the program is doing exactly what it should- one month is not very long to tell how your body will ultimately respond. You're getting good strength gains while losing inches- win, win. Measure again next month and maybe look at cutting a little more then if you're not happy. Keep it up!!!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    1. I agree with cowgirl that you have not gained 6 pounds of muscle, but it could be retained water for muscle repair.
    2. What was your calorie consumption before starting? if you upped your calories significantly, it can cause water weight gain due to more food volume.
    3. I can understand why you would be bummed about gaining "fat", but it seems pretty unlikely if you are eating at a deficit every day. I agree with this group that you should "stay the course". If you want to cut calories, do so gradually.
  • semira6
    Options
    Thank you all so much I really appreciate it! So you're saying I don't need to decrease my calories based on this information? That's all I was trying to assess.

To answer your questions:
    AlsDonkBoxSqu: I haven't really added cardio back in. I walk a lot normally (new yorker), but have only done a total of 3 hours of actual gym cardio this whole month.
    cowgirl: I'm using an online calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/). Good to know they're highly inaccurate!
    lcuconley: My calorie consumption prior to this program was pretty low. I tried to net 1200 calories a day. I'm eating per the calculations in New Rules and am eating above my TDEE (1750).

I think I'll try cutting my current calorie goals (1924 and 2202) by a 100 a day and see how that goes. I have been having a hard time finishing my calories this week.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    semira - I am confused by the statement "I am eating above me TDEE (1750)". If you do that, you will gain weight. However, I don't think that is what you are doing. 1390X1.6=2224 on non-workout days. That's your TDEE. What is 1750?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    OP - I think what you should do REALLY depends on your goals??

If one of your goals is to "lose body fat", then, yes, I think you are eating too many calories.

For me, the calorie-stipulation in NROL4W was TOO MANY....the whole "eat more to weigh less" didn't really work for me. And, for me, that was because losing body fat % WAS my (over-arching) goal.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    semira - I am confused by the statement "I am eating above me TDEE (1750)". If you do that, you will gain weight. However, I don't think that is what you are doing. 1390X1.6=2224 on non-workout days. That's your TDEE. What is 1750?

I am also wondering about this?

I also wanted to add a comment about weighing. Make sure you are weighing after a few days of no lifting and when TOM is not near. Water weight can mask your true weight and will also skew the BF% calculators. (Just FYI: this one has always been the closest to my measurements with calipers: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

This confused me as well.

If you were eating 1200 for awhile and your real TDEE is up around 2000-2200 then it may just be that your body has to adjust a bit to the new amount of calories.