Welcome! Introduce Yourself!

Options
Aurora1525
Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
Welcome to The 5:2 Fast Diet for Vegetarians/Vegans Group! We're glad you joined!

Introduce yourself using the questions below :-)

1. Vegetarian or Vegan?
2. Why did you chose the 5:2 diet?
3. How long have you been on the 5:2 diet?
4. What are your short term/long term goals by doing the 5:2 diet?
5. How do you think the 5:2 diet results will differ between "meat eaters" and vegetarians/vegans?

Replies

• Favfav77
    Favfav77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a 5 month raw vegan, been losing tons of weight!!!! Feel great!!:love:
  • Aurora1525
    Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1. Vegetarian or Vegan?
    I am vegetarian, though I do eat a vegan diet about 3 days out of the week.

I saw the documentary Eat, Fast, and Live Longer with Michael Mosley and was really impressed with the scientific basis for fasting as well as the results. After seeing the show, I felt compelled to do this!

One week.

In the short term, I'd like to lose 10 pounds. In the long term, I'd like to live healthier for longer and avoid many of the health problems my family members have experienced (cancer, diabetes, etc.).

5. How do you think the 5:2 diet results will differ between "meat eaters" and vegetarians/vegans?
    This is such a hard question to answer. I would like to think that vegetarians/vegans would lose more weight and lose it faster than those who eat meat. I'd think that meat eaters would consume more calories than vegetarians/vegans on normal days which would impact their weight loss.
  • healthhiro
    healthhiro Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1. I am vegan most days
    2. I too saw the Eat, Fast and Live Longer doc by M Mosley and I loved it. I had seen some other shows of his on YouTube so I trust his research.
    3. I have been trying this for about 2 weeks
    4. I need to lower cholesterol and lose weight.
    5. This diet should produce better results in shorter time, but needs to be a lifestyle change, not just a short term fix.
  • motherflutter13
    Options
    Hello! This is my first foray into the MFP community that I honestly didn't know existed. I'm glad to find so many nice people here.

1. Vegetarian
    2 .I've tinkered with IF before but it tends to interfere with my daily schedule and I have trouble doing it every day, this seems much more do-able.
    3. Just starting
    4. Lose weight/find a manageble way to keep track of my eating.
    5. My biggest problem with being a veg head is getting enough protein. I lift heavy weights and am looking to become a PT/bodybuilder and those lifestyles require a lot of protein and strict diets. Finding enough protein is always my biggest problem.
  • danceriverdance
    Options
    Hi there!!!

1. I was vegan for 7 years, then I married a hunter. Many years later I was vegan and then raw. Currently I tend to waiver, but starting my cleanse and then the 5:2, I'm gonna be stoked to be back to mostly vegan, some vegetarian.
    2. I am going to chose the 5:2 diet because it makes sense. I am a seasoned faster/cleanser since 1992 and I love/hate it. Ultimately afterwards I am empowered, light, healthier, etc... then i fall back to old ways of eating/drinking. I stumbled across the dietfast 5:2 book while beginning my spring cleanse. I am excited about the different approach of the 5:2 and the scientific knowledge behind it is awesome..
    3. I will start the 5:2 diet as soon as my spring cleanse is over. I am on day 3 right now.... so maybe next week.
    4. My short and long term goals are the same. To maintain my ideal body weight, support my health, mostly internally and to keep my bad habits at bay!
    5. I think it's hard to say what the difference would be for vegan/veggies or meat-eaters. I know my body/blood type really does prefer veganism. However, I know many folks whose bodies really need the meat to thrive (mostly blood type O's). So I think it's really a personal preference.
  • meow_meow_meow
    meow_meow_meow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tina :)

1. Vegetarian for about 10 years, flirted with veganism a few times but found it hard to keep up for more than a few months at a time.

2. I saw the Horizon documentary and was really impressed - more so with the health benefits than the weight loss personally, although I'm also trying to lose weight at the moment so its perfect for that too.

3. Today is my first fast day. I'm going to allow myself 500 calories today; so far I've had salad for lunch at 230 calories.

4. Short term I would like to lose weight, long-term health benefits of lower cholesterol, lower risk of cancer, diabetes, hypertension and other chronic diseases

5. It would be interesting to actually do a comparison study in vegetarians, because their starting cholesterol and lipid levels (and probably weight) would already be much lower and presumably already have a healthier diet with more fruit and veg. Perhaps the health benefits would not be as impressive as those in meat-eaters.

Xx
  • trishdish11
    trishdish11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Trish
    I watched the Horizon documentary with Michael Mosley about the 5/2 diet and am curious & interested in the health benefits this way of eating supports. I have been a vegetarian for 26 years and vegan for the past 5 months. I thought eating a vegan diet would be difficult but have found the step to going vegan quite easy. It's some of my family & friends that find it difficult! Ironically enough I just posted about the 5/2 diet & then I found this group! I haven't started the 5/2 diet but am planning to soon.
  • mysticmog
    mysticmog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Really happy to see this group here!

1. Vegetarian or Vegan?
    Veggie, but non-dairy. Been vegetarian for 22 years. Most days are vegan. Fast days definitely are vegan.

I saw the Horizon programme last year, and remembered it when my GP told me I had to improve my blood cholesterol, lower my risk of type 2 (Familial as well as being overweight), and hopefully, lower my medically managed high BP. Having lost weight in the past, my BP and cholesterol remained high, and constant irrespective of weightloss alone.

Day 9 here - done three fasts.

Improve my blood numbers; start eating 'normally', rather than focusing on WW points, and grazing. Relearn eating properly and mindfully rather than reaching for a Points calculator. Weightloss will be a bonus.

I've no idea. Twenty-two years of vegetarianism hasn't made my biochem any healthier, and I'm the overweight veggie!
  • posiblemente
    Options
    Hi! This is obviously a male's example but it just proves that you can do it on a vegan diet. I am vegan myself and I have no problems whatsoever!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuyDkPsomvE
  • seakiing
    seakiing Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi , New to the group so thought I'd say hi,

1. Vegetarian or Vegan?

Vegetarian (though I occasionally eat fish but very rarely eat eggs or drink milk)

I had heard people talking about it and it seemed like something I could do.

uh a week. 4th fast day today!

Loose weight and get back to a "normal" weight, get in to a size or 2 smaller clothes and get more fit and healthy (dont want much eh?)

I literally have no idea but alot of the people doing the diet that I have spoken to are cutting meat out/eating meat substitute as part of the diet.
  • girlwithgreenhair
    girlwithgreenhair Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1. ETHICAL VEGAN, about to celebrate my 5th vegan birthday in August! I'm so excited!!
    2. My doctor highly recommended it and it's benefits.
    3. Just started today.
    4. Physical well being, boosted immune system and well, to look awesome.
    5. I personally believe that we have better immune systems and are feeding our bodies foods that have been proven to improve and heal one's health. I also think that vegan options when eaten properly are far better for the body than omni or vegetarian.
  • Trishe57
    Trishe57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Trish.

1. Vegetarian or Vegan?
    Vegetarian Mostly vegan for 24 years, although I take the occasional egg. Rethinking that right now. =)

2. Why did you chose the 5:2 diet? I want to try it.
    As I've gotten older, I have lost energy and gained body fat. Want to reverse that trend - pronto!

Starting this weekend

Short term, I'd like to kickstart my metabolism
    Longer term, I want to burn some body fat and bump up my energy

I don't know enough about it to say, except that it is probably far easier to stay under 500 calories as an herbivore
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look like this board is too active, which is a shame because I'd love to share 5:2 meal ideas with my fellow vegetarians. I'm just starting the 5:2 today and looking forward to seeing how it goes.
    Nice to meet...eh...whoever happens to come by this board! :)

Oh...just saw the questions that I'm supposed to answer:
    1. Vegetarian or Vegan? Ovo-vegetarian (and only eggs from a local small farm)
    2. Why did you chose the 5:2 diet? Curiosity mainly...I like the idea of being able to not be so restricted every single day.
    3. How long have you been on the 5:2 diet? Today is my first day!
    4. What are your short term/long term goals by doing the 5:2 diet? I'd like to reach my goal weight, and I'd like change my relationship with food.
    5. How do you think the 5:2 diet results will differ between "meat eaters" and vegetarians/vegans? It seems like it would be a little easier on the fasting days (as long as one is a *whole-food* based vegetarian/vegan), but maybe not as easy to eat enough on the non-fasting days.

Jo
  • missball
    missball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No posts here for a while...

1. Vegetarian or Vegan?
    Vegetarian most of the time since my fiancé is, but I occasionally have a bit of mackerel or some bacon.
    My mother has been doing it for over a year with amazing results. No other approach has worked for me.
    A week. Today was my second fast.
    I need to lose nearly 17kg to get to middle of healthy weight. I want to feel generally healthier again an dfit into some of my old Caving kit that is a little tight nowadays.
    I think it should hopefully be easier for vegies, because meatnis generally high calorie, and I really can't think of any vegans I know that would need to lose any weight... They are all the other way!
  • linclass123
    linclass123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I hope that there are a few members still about in this group ?
    otherwise I'm going to be chatting with myself 😳😳

Tao answer the questions......

1. Vegetarian or Vegan?
    Vegan for 6 months now, was vegetarian for 34 years
    Tried it when Dr Michael Mosley brought it to our attention a few years ago, did quite well and found it easy to keep to.
    Just 6 days this time, have completed 2 fast days..
    I would like to lose about a stone to get to a better weight. I want to feel lighter and healthier, I find it more difficult to lose weight now.
    I have no idea about calories in meat, fish etc..... so don't think I can comment..