Energy expenditure-advanced roll call

Options
Wondered if anyone would like to share the TDEE numbers they got from the energy calculator link in the files on Eat The Food.

Mine were around 3100 at current weight and 2700 at goal weight. In comparison, the scooby and ipoarm calculators both gave me 2400 at best. When I first saw that a few months ago I had not tracked calories yet -it seemed high to me. Then I learned 1800 - 2000 was a typical day for me and I was shocked that I may have been under eating by over 1000 cals a day.

I lost scale weight for the first time in months last week, the week I hit 2600 to 2700 with consistency. Today I ate around 2800 without batting an eyelash.

What have other people found out about their caloric needs and reactions to that, revelations, etc?

Replies

• turbophoenix
    Options
    My goal weight estimated TDEE is about 2100 calories. I was eating 1400-1500 (and eating back some exercise calories) prior to using the calculator and I was ALWAYS hungry at the end of the day. Now I'm eating right about 2000, more on days I work out.

My weight hasn't budged in about a month, however my body fat percentage dropped and my clothes fit better. I was also seeing tremendous differences in energy and was lifting heavier (I'm injured now so I'm on hiatus!) I can't wait until I recover so I can start working out again :)
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My TDEE according to Eat the Food calculator is 2980, Scoobys 2628 and to lose Fat2Fit says I should eat 2302 for a loss.
    So I'm eating 2000 which is probably 200-300 under what I should be eating, but I'm a bit flexible in my counting and I'm sure I go over a little bit most days. I don't eat back my exercise calories.
    I have been a steady weight for a while now, and was going to post if on the EM2WL group today if I should up my calories a bit or keep at 2000 and expect a loss soonish.
    I'm already very close to my goal weight and have worked out I might not even reach it but will hopefully reduce body fat. I haven't had a lot of changes but I feel great, I love eating the food, I'm enjoying preparing meals for my family now, even desserts.

Amanda, that's fantastic news re; scale loss eating over 2600.
    turbophoenix, injury's suck, I was recently out with one and there is nothing more frustrating.
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My TDEE according to Eat the Food calculator is 2980, Scoobys 2628 and to lose Fat2Fit says I should eat 2302 for a loss.
    So I'm eating 2000 which is probably 200-300 under what I should be eating, but I'm a bit flexible in my counting and I'm sure I go over a little bit most days. I don't eat back my exercise calories.
    I have been a steady weight for a while now, and was going to post if on the EM2WL group today if I should up my calories a bit or keep at 2000 and expect a loss soonish.
    I'm already very close to my goal weight and have worked out I might not even reach it but will hopefully reduce body fat. I haven't had a lot of changes but I feel great, I love eating the food, I'm enjoying preparing meals for my family now, even desserts.

Amanda, that's fantastic news re; scale loss eating over 2600.
    turbophoenix, injury's suck, I was recently out with one and there is nothing more frustrating.

Curious, have you ever eaten closer to your TDEE, whether scooby or the health-calc one? Great that you are close to goal!
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No I've never eaten my TDEE
  • Kedado
    Kedado Posts: 2
    Options
    I was shocked yesterday and today, the first time I have ever tried to EAT lol. I am running 600 - 1000 below. All my life I have been trained to eat less and less and what I was eating was considered pigging out, go figure. I hit it today YAY! I had to eat left and right!

Now is 1983 BMR 3510 TDEE
    My goal would be 1502 BMR TDEE 2450 Which is completely doable since that's the TDEE I have been eating!

Oops another edit, I am eating 3000 cals, I ate my face off it felt like!
  • jessigracie
    jessigracie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    With the scooby calc set at moderate my TDEE is 2400 and BMR 1500. With the calc that Go Kaleo recommends my TDEE is 2900 and BMR 1500. It's really hard for me to estimate my activity on that one though. Maybe I should print out the sheet and keep track for a few days.

Right now I'm slowly upping my calories. My MFP has been set to 1800 for the past week and today I'm moving it to 1900. I'd like to be around 2000 but now I'm thinking that maybe it should really be higher? I just don't know.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    According to my BMF, my average TDEE can be anywhere from 2800-3000 so I go with 2900 to be safe. I eat 2300 calories per day (20% deficit).
  • turbogirl4christ
    Options
    I haven't used the calculator but I go by my BMF and my daily burns are about 2800-3000 on my workout days. While I was sick all last week and not doing anything at all it was about 2300-2400 even without working out and just laying around.. I was shocked!!! I've been ignoring my inner voice and been upping my calories. I'm aiming for about 2200-2300 per day now and feeling great!!! I have to admit I'm still so scared to eat this much but I'm doing it anyways cuz I know I feel soooooo much better ETF and my husband has even said I'm much more pleasant to be around now :)
  • roadtorat
    Options
    Is a BMF a BodyBugg? Where have you all purchased one?

I'm curious to see what my daily needs are as I have a hard time with accuracy on the calculator, ie how long I actually spend sitting versus standing, time spent walking, etc. But if a tracker is a viable option it seems like that may be more accurate. Maybe track for a week and shoot for the average.
  • CreatchOClock
    CreatchOClock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    BMR - 1532 and TEE - 2943 . I eat around 2200/2300 a day maybe.
  • maclynne
    maclynne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes it is, sort of. I think the body bugg is an older version. I used the bodybugg previously and now have the Body Media fit. I like the app much better with the BMF. it is also smaller than my old bodybugg. if you are interested, here is a link to their refer a friend deal. I get some free months if you use this link. it is also 15% off the price
    http://bodymedia.extole.com/a/clk/3Lr24Y
  • lady_daraine
    Options
    I am 5'7", currently 231 pounds, goal of 175. I'm 30 years old and I have a light activity level (teachers walk a lot).

The calc on Go Kaleo gives me these numbers: BMR 2053, current TDEE 3598; TDEE at my goal weight but other stats the same: 2772.
    Scooby says BMR 1722; TDEE of 2368, and a "weight loss" set at 2249.
    Fat2Fit says BMR is 1834, and a TDEE with "light activity" of 2196.

I've been eating between 2000 and 3700 calories (depending on hunger cues), with an average of about 3500 a day for the last 4 months, and this weight has been solid for the last month with no further gain. This tells me that the GK calculator is pretty accurate for me.
    I'm going to try to intentionally aim for the 2700ish recommended for my goal weight with my current activity levels. I am also planning on adding a little bit of weights, which I hope will help increase my metabolism and remove some inches. I'm hopeful but not expecting weight loss. So there's my story. :)
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7", currently 231 pounds, goal of 175. I'm 30 years old and I have a light activity level (teachers walk a lot).

The calc on Go Kaleo gives me these numbers: BMR 2053, current TDEE 3598; TDEE at my goal weight but other stats the same: 2772.
    Scooby says BMR 1722; TDEE of 2368, and a "weight loss" set at 2249.
    Fat2Fit says BMR is 1834, and a TDEE with "light activity" of 2196.

I've been eating between 2000 and 3700 calories (depending on hunger cues), with an average of about 3500 a day for the last 4 months, and this weight has been solid for the last month with no further gain. This tells me that the GK calculator is pretty accurate for me.

I'm going to try to intentionally aim for the 2700ish recommended for my goal weight with my current activity levels. I am also planning on adding a little bit of weights, which I hope will help increase my metabolism and remove some inches. I'm hopeful but not expecting weight loss. So there's my story. :)

HI There! Very cool that your numbers see to check out (and they are so much higher than what most people use) One idea I learned from another forum here, that made sense, is that if you are going to eat at a deficit - and your would be over TDEE-20%, is to do it for 4 weeks, then take a one week break eating at TDEE, which could be lower by then if you've lost weight. It is supposed to help keep the metabolism from getting too used to the lower calorie amounts.

Please report back on how it goes for you!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My stats: female, age 34, 5'11, CW 180, GW 165.

The Health-Calc calculator that Go Kaleo recommended says my current BMR is 1541 and my current TEE is 2655.
    For my goal weight of 165, the BMR is 1482 and the TEE is 2502.

These numbers feel so high compared to the MFP numbers I've been so used to. I'm going to shoot for 2000 (gross) calories per day.
  • PrincessCelli
    Options
    I never knew this group was here. Ha!

I eat to goal TDEE which is 2104. And then add back in my exercise/activity calories. The last couple of days I have been very active and that number has moved up to 3100. Funny thing is that I didn't really calculate my food until later in the day and still managed to come in right at goal. Body just fuels itself, I guess.
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    hey, i work as a chef so i spend most of my day throwing around huge pots of food and being on my feet. the calculator puts me at 3505 TDEE /1565 BMR on lifting days.