Losing motivation

Options
goalie35
goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
I have been training for my first HM it's 30 days away. I'm in o.k. shape for it I think. Most of my training was on the treadmill up until 4 weeks ago, I live in WI. My furthest distance has been 11 miles almost a week ago. Ever since then the weather has not cooperating. It's either been in the 30's or raining. I can not go back to the treadmill! I only last 30 min then I get so bored. I'm trying to keep my endurance up by other cardio choices and I'm trying to get more weight training in. I'm worried how this might be hurting my HM and what can I do to shake the funk.

Replies

• LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Are you running Green Bay by any chance. I also live in rainy/snowy/cold Wisconsin and I know what you mean. I have been sucking it up and doing my long runs outside since there is no way to mimic road running on a treadmill. I certainly feel your pain but I would try and get outside these next couple of weeks.

For your first half, your only job should be to finish. Since you have already done at least 11 miles I think you will be ok. Just start getting yourself pumped for you race and you should come out of your funk.

Good luck-

ps- If you are doing Green Bay, I'll see you at the start line. :smile: :smile:
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes I am doing the Green Bay race. I am doing crazylegs next weekend in Madison. It's 5 miles.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to move to California! I take for granted that I can run outdoors year round. I don't think I could ever stand a treadmill. Sorry the weather has been so bad lately for you guys!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Yes I am doing the Green Bay race. I am doing crazylegs next weekend in Madison. It's 5 miles.

I'll be there also. It better not rain...
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I live in Boston. We are having some warmer days now but still extremely windy. I've got a half coming up on May 5th. I've done my long runs outside every week, when it was 17 degrees, when it was snowing, I did one run during a nor'easter - extreme wind and rain. Why did I do all that? Because you never know what conditions will be like the day of the race. Granted on May 5th here it shouldn't be snowy or rainy, but for your half or mine, it could conceivably be cold and/or raining. So get out and embrace the rain, figure out how to dress and keep your feet dry, then come race day if it does rain, you'll be prepared and finish.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I live in Boston. We are having some warmer days now but still extremely windy. I've got a half coming up on May 5th. I've done my long runs outside every week, when it was 17 degrees, when it was snowing, I did one run during a nor'easter - extreme wind and rain. Why did I do all that? Because you never know what conditions will be like the day of the race. Granted on May 5th here it shouldn't be snowy or rainy, but for your half or mine, it could conceivably be cold and/or raining. So get out and embrace the rain, figure out how to dress and keep your feet dry, then come race day if it does rain, you'll be prepared and finish.

^^^^This!! And if by chance you have great weather for your half, you can remind yourself of how much harder your training runs have been than what you are experiencing, and think "this is easy!" My worst training run thus far was 22miles in an rain/ice storm on an icy trail where I had to laugh several times at how I had no traction. I spent the run dodging from one section of trail to the other, running in the vegetation next to the trail when there was no chance I could take the path. When I went out for my first marathon, upper 40's and slightly overcast, I can't TELL you how awesome it was to be able to say "I've been through worse; this will be a breeze." While far from a "breeze," my marathon time was faster than those 22 miles by over 3 minutes!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

^^^^This!! And if by chance you have great weather for your half, you can remind yourself of how much harder your training runs have been than what you are experiencing, and think "this is easy!" My worst training run thus far was 22miles in an rain/ice storm on an icy trail where I had to laugh several times at how I had no traction. I spent the run dodging from one section of trail to the other, running in the vegetation next to the trail when there was no chance I could take the path. When I went out for my first marathon, upper 40's and slightly overcast, I can't TELL you how awesome it was to be able to say "I've been through worse; this will be a breeze." While far from a "breeze," my marathon time was faster than those 22 miles by over 3 minutes!

^^Agreed! :-) I won't knock the treadmill as I know training can be done on it, but once you've trained through harsh conditions and all the elements you have no control over, you'll be a much stronger runner and racing in ideal conditions will be a piece of cake. Rain, shine, snow, wind, ice... doesn't matter... get out there and RUN!