120 miles for a beginner...

Options
awetherell
awetherell Posts: 62 Member
Hello all,

So, I am very excited to announce that I bought myself a bike on Saturday! I've not ridden regularly for years, and then only ever a max of about 5 miles, but I have decided to do something called the Dunwich Dynamo (UK), which is from London to Dunwich on the coast in Suffolk - 120 miles, leaving at about 8-9pm and riding through the night. I know it'll be a challenge, but I'm excited to take it on!

Does anyone have some advice on the number of miles I ought to cover before I can do this? I rode about 15 miles on Sunday (10 and then 5) and felt great, though a little tired in the evening (I put that down to the first sun we've had for months though!). I have a long commute to work and am away from home from 7am until about 7pm, so can only ride for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours max in the evenings, but can't really do this every night. I can cycle to the station in the morning, but that's only about 15 mins and as there are no showers at work, it can't really be used as a proper workout.

Do you think it would be best to build up to having a good long cycle every weekend with 2 or 3 1.5 - 2 hour rides during the week, then the other days do a faster, shorter ride to boost fitness? I also walk a lot and am going to start running once or twice a week, so fitness should tick along happily...

I'm really glad to have found this group. Once I get a little better on the bike I hope to join in with a few of the challenges! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alice x

Replies

• narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi there - when is the event?
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    20-21st July narak

I ventured into road biking in January 2012 & took part in a 130 mile sportive in June that year, so 3 months is a bit ambitious but i'm sure it can be done with the right attitude! You really need to getting regular high mileage rides in, you'll probably be spending the best part of 8 hours in the saddle for the event, the most i did in training was about 6hrs at a time but this would have been most weekends. just spend as much time as you can in the saddle and if you can i would recommend a bike fitting to make it more comfortable. get to grips with nutrition and hydration upfront though, they will be important on the day/night. You should make sure you are used to eating/drinking high energy foods well in advance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Good for you Alice! Best of luck.

I'm training for my first ever 100 miler this summer and am up to 66 miles now. I'm fortunate that there is a gym at work so I've been able to build fitness over the winter on a Spinning bike.
    There are a few training plans on the interweb - the one's I remember found all seemed to have at least one long (4 hour session) a week.

If you use a HRM this is an interesting article http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/

I definitely second "FatDadSlim's" advice about time in the saddle and nutrition/hydration.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for distance/endurance training is to add about 10 miles a week to your long rides. Most people can be a bit more ambitious to start; so you might be able to jump to, say, 25miles continuous. I would imagine you'd want to get up to at least one ride of 100 miles before the event. On your schedule, this would have you clocking a long ride every weekend till July. If you could then get in 1-3 quicker, harder evening rides a week I'd imagine you should be well set for the ride.

Good luck!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I definitely second "FatDadSlim's" advice about time in the saddle and nutrition/hydration.

Thirded!

Plus (as FDS stated), get a bike fitting done by your reputable Local Bike Shop (LBS) and get your sit-bones measured and buy an appropriate saddle for your size.
  • FatDadSlim
    Options
    Here's an extract from a sportive training document that i read prior to my event, these are not my comments but have a read yourself...

SPORTIVE TRAINING/BIKE TIPS
    The following will cover two main areas; the bike and the man riding it!
    Contrary to popular opinion, cycling isn’t just about getting fit and climbing aboard
    – there is as much technical content and physical technique involved as any
    other complex sporting activity.
    The critical areas are:
    Bike Fit - Bike Posture - Technique - Physical Conditioning - Preparation
    Obviously diet and hydration are also critical, but this isn’t going to cover those;
    the rule is simple, however –
    Lose weight, eat whilst riding and keep hydrated!
    During an endurance bike event I would be eating every few minutes after the
    first 45 minutes or so, carrying various carbohydrate sources about my person. I
    personally use High 5 Carb drink. In descending order, dried figs, bananas and
    potatoes are the fastest to digest and process – but for practical reasons I use
    figs and concentrated carbohydrate drink, having carried a banana for the first
    half hour and then consuming it. I always use a gel every hour, or just before a
    big climb or series of ramps you will burn between 700 and 1000 calories per
    hour whilst riding at reasonable intensity, so it is essential to refuel regularly.
    You will need to take on board a reasonable amount of water per hour, and
    Again, regular intake is essential. You may need more if you sweat freely or if it is
    hot. As it happens, I use much less water than most people, so half a litre an hour
    is fine for me.
    I discovered during my first events that stopping at all the food stops wasted huge
    amounts of time, and although I ended up within my target time I still felt
    disappointed that I could have saved over an hour by organising my own calorie
    intake better.
    Tip number 1 for a Sportive; plan a nutrition/water strategy which
    minimises time at Feed Stations
    .If you seriously want to perform to optimal ability in a long distance event with a
    significant level of climbing, then you just have to be as lean and light as you can
    be.
    So diet is crucial; and contrary to popular belief, this doesn’t mean giving up lots
    of goodies. I am 6 feet tall, 42 chest and weigh 76Kg. I drink far too much wine
    and eat chocolate and all sorts of other things. But I do have a regime; no sugar,
    skimmed milk, no butter, always low fat rice pudding, etc and I eat immediately
    after exercise to replace carbs and protein. I use Recovery Drink to help this.
    Everyone can work out their own regime, but there is simply no substitute for
    weight loss on a bike. It IS possible to shed a few kilos, and this will make the
    single biggest difference to your 100 time
    So, to Bike Fit/Posture
    As I said, the ideal spec for this type of ride at an average amateur level is a
    comfortable sportive
    Style frame and a seat/bar differential which isn’t too radical obviously the bike
    has to be comfortable but also reasonably quick, and of course these days there
    are plenty of sportive Geometry frames around. Aluminium tends to be rigid over
    long distances, and steel is typically heavier but more responsive. Carbon fibre is
    ideal, but may not be as durable.
    The most important characteristics of the bike are its size and its geometry; too
    “aggressive” geometry and you’ll end up with a crippled neck, back etc.
    Tend towards slightly large rather than slightly small – it is more comfortable that
    way. Don’t have the saddle massively higher than the bars as this will also cause
    discomfort.
    Tip number 2 – go to a bike shop and have a proper sizing/fitting done. This
    will give you
    Your measurements and ensure that your own bike is set up correctly.
    The length of the top stem is important; if you rest your elbow on the front tip of
    the saddle and have your arm parallel with the stem there should be about a
    couple of inches maximum from your finger tips to the front edge of the
    handlebars. When you’re on the bike, your back should be more or less parallel
    with the top stem whilst down on the handlebars.
    In terms of height, when at the bottom of the “downward” stroke of the pedal your
    foot should be at a slight angle, toes pointing slightly down and forward. Your leg
    extension should be about 90 to 95% of fully straight. You shouldn’t be able to
    put both feet on the ground at standstill. Handlebar
    width should be almost the same as your shoulder width. Cycling is all about the
    efficiency of your levers (i.e. your legs), and the longer the lever the better.
    The most important other factor in comfort and speed is actually the wheels;
    when buying a bike, spend money first on the frame, then on the wheels, then the
    group set.
    Tip 3 - if you want to make a fast and material upgrade to a decent bike,
    then make it the
    Wheels
    They shouldn’t flex too much when you’re out of the saddle climbing, but too rigid
    and they’ll transmit too much road vibration. The tyres should be 700c by 23mm
    Technique
    Note above comments, but also: Aerodynamics will add between 1 and 2 mph to
    your speed – and of course conversely, poor Aerodynamics will chop that off
    again. Put another way, you will save energy by being the right shape on the
    bike, and waste it by not being so. When riding at speed, you should be down on
    the bottom section of the handlebars, with your backside moved slightly forwards
    on the saddle to engage your quads fully. Your feet should describe a circle, but
    your toes should remain pointing slightly downwards and forwards throughout the
    circle.
    When riding uphill or into a headwind, you shift back in the saddle to engage your
    gluteal muscles fully, and your feet should now have the heels down at the finish
    of the stroke to fully engage your calf muscles as well. You should have your
    hands up on the top section of the bars to help you sit back. Don’t rock from side
    to side; efficiency is all about transferring all the energy straight down through the
    cranks. Your upper body should be as still as possible. Any upper body
    movement just displaces energy.
    The best technique requires that you maintain even cadence with the pedals; i.e.
    you shift gears to maintain the same number of revolutions. Around 80 to 90 per
    minute is good.
    When climbing, best technique is to remain sitting and drop down the gears; if
    you have to stand on the pedals, and then do so for short bursts only.
    I have to say here that I am from the Pantani School of Climbing; I do get out of
    the saddle a lot, and I need to as I don’t have the upper leg strength to stay
    seated. But good climbers can power up climbs whilst firmly rooted to the saddle.
    When on an extended flat section, spin the pedals at a higher cadence in a
    medium high gear rather than driving a big cog with your quads.
    After strenuous uphill effort, don’t stop pedalling to rest on the downhill – just spin
    a small gear to encourage the lactic acid to disperse.
    And of course, breathe deeply, slowly, and through your nose as well as your
    mouth!
    Conditioning
    You probably know a fair bit about fitness training, but here are the basics;
    To ride a long way, you need to train a long way..... Not every ride, and not every
    week – but it just isn’t possible to deliver a great time on a Century ride if you
    have only ever ridden 30 miles
    This means “LSD” as we say in the peloton (but not the recreational drug
    variety...). In other words, get out and do a few 60/70 milers, and if possible, a
    longer ride before the target event.
    Without being arrogant, any reasonably fit cyclist can go and ride 70 miles, and can
    probably ride 100 miles, but if you want to ride it in style, then you have to get the
    miles into your legs, and more importantly, into your head.
    Long, Slow Distance
    Winter is when you build basic stamina and get comfortable on the bike for
    extended periods.
    I keep a training diary when I am aiming at an event; it helps motivate me or
    make me feel guilty,
    Whichever is appropriate at the time?
    I personally ride 6 times per week, including at least one or two 2/3 hour or more
    rides.
    The more the better, within reason At some point you will need to do some harder
    rides, but leave those until just before the event.
    Concentrate for the next couple of months on getting into the saddle and just
    building up stamina, aerobic capacity and leg strength.
    Don’t ride fast – stay within 70% of maximum heart rate at all times.
    Use a heart rate monitor, and stay disciplined. Sprint sessions, if you are already
    quite strong do little for the build up towards a Sportive.
    Finally, Preparation
    It is essential to train at least some of the time in the same gear, carrying the
    same load, etc as you intend to do the event in.
    Never introduce changes or innovation immediately before the event, and
    become completely accustomed to the food, gels, clothes, hydration packs, etc
    that you will use in the event
  • awetherell
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the advice. You've given me some really good things to think about. It'll be my first proper training session tonight (as apposed to just cycling around for fun), so I guess that will give me a good idea of how far I have to go... 13 weeks on Saturday!

I'll start finding out what works for me after a good ride early too - that's not really something I had considered yet. I'm not a huge fan of the energy gel type of thing, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of good quick energy boosts that I'll be able to take with me! God knows where I'm going to fit all the water...I need to find out how many opportunities there will be to fill up!

FatDadSlim - that extract was really helpful, thank you. I am going to email that to myself so I always have it on hand! How did you find your 130 miles last year? The good thing about this is that it's not a race and a lot of people just do it for fun, but I'd quite like to do it properly and as comfortably as possible. It would be handy if I'd found out about it a little earlier though...

Scudder76 - so do you think then if I did a 15 mile ride this weekend and then make sure I add on 10 miles a week to my long ride (which would get me to 105 miles in 10 weeks), that would work well?

Thanks again to all of you. I really appreciate the help.

P.S: Is anyone else here doing the Dunwich Dynamo?!
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Scudder76 - so do you think then if I did a 15 mile ride this weekend and then make sure I add on 10 miles a week to my long ride (which would get me to 105 miles in 10 weeks), that would work well?

That's the right idea, but I'd bet that you could actually do 20, or 25 this weekend :smile: , and then add to that. It's about acclimating to the 'but-in-saddle' as much as it it the physical training.

Also:
    -A previous poster mentioned taking to long or too many breaks. I was taught that breaks should be shorter than 5 minutes (quick loo and a water refill) or longer than 30 minutes (allowing to eat a bit more, start digesting, and really rest yourself. On a 100+ mile ride I'll only take one longer break.
    -You might want to learn what the event's minimum speed is. There will most likely be a pace at which the route closes, and that's your minimum speed to train for. (Who cares if you're the last to finish; finishing itself will be a thrill!)
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    WOW FDS that is a good article.

awetherell; as far as fitness, ride as far as feels good and see where you are at mileage wise. I am a little abnormal but I was doing 50+ mile rides within 3 months of beginning to ride. So what I am saying is don't shorten a ride if you don't have to but don't push yourself further than your legs are able. Listen to your legs and they will tell you a lot. Training is learning what pain is normal and beneficial versus the pain that means you are about to crack and not finish a ride.

On nutrition: it is my suspicion that most people DNF a ride due to a lack of understanding of what their body can process while riding! On my first 60 mile ride I had a grilled chicken sandwich and french fries for lunch and was rewarded by stomach cramps from the grease. I almost DNF'ed but the Lord blessed me with a rain shower to cool me off and the stomach cramps subsided.

I have found that I prefer and can tolerate liquid fuel better than solid food during a hard long ride but I do need something solid about once every two hours to keep my stomach from gnawing at itself. I have also learned to save the energy gels for the last hour of the ride or the gastrointestinal distress after the ride is gnarly.

So, start now in getting an understanding of what it feels like to start bonking (running out of glycogen). For me when I start seeing food on the side of the road thrown at as trash but I seriously consider stopping to graze on it then I know I need fuel or if I start having sudden weird thoughts about just stopping and sitting down then I need fuel. Also find out what will prevent the bonk and learn how to eat while moving. Seriously, opening a packet of food while moving down the ride can be a challenged especially when your sugar is already crashing and you are not in a good mood.

Best Wishes and I am confident that you will be able to complete the ride so long as you get the right mindset before the ride.
  • FatDadSlim
    Options
    How did you find your 130 miles last year?
    I found it gruelling to be totally honest, i wasn't prepared enough but there was <11,000ft of climbing overall! i started getting cramps half way around, which just became more & more severe the longer it went on, this is where getting the nutrition/hydration right is very important.
    when I start seeing food on the side of the road thrown as trash but I seriously consider stopping to graze on it

I can so relate to this comment! I know i'm ready to eat when ALL i can think about is food.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    FDS, your quote about cramps reminded me about the need to prevent them on LD rides, especially in the summer. I use Morton Light Salt, ~1/2 teaspoon per water bottle in really hot weather to prevent cramping. I also keep some TUMS (anti-acid calcium tablets) in my on-bike meds kit. I have heard that chewing on a TUMS will free up a leg cramp. Fortunately since adding the Light Salt to my water bottles, I have not needed to use the TUMS.

BTW, I use my Garmin to remind me when to drink. It beeps every 30 minutes and I know to drink then even if I don't feel like drinking.
  • awetherell
    Options
    Dahamac - Thank you for the advice and best wishes. You are SO right about trying to eat whilst cycling! I went out for a hour and a quarter on my bike last night, which I loved, but I tried out drinking whilst on the move (from a bottle which is on the frame) in a park so no cars around me etc and it was really quite tricky. Especially putting the bottle back! So I need to practice that a lot I think...work on the balance!

Salt is also something I'd not really thought about. I'm going to look up the Morton Light Salt and TUMS, thank you.

Scudder 76 - I am going to try out a 25 mile this weekend, thanks to your advice! Hopefully it'll go smoothly and I will still fancy cycling again after it!

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I've really enjoyed the cycling so far this week and it's nice to know that I'm probably on the right track with my attitude/training efforts! Off to buy a bike computer tomorrow so I can actually get an idea of my pace/distance travelled (I am fairly new to London and keep getting lost, which makes it rather tricky to work out how far I have cycled at the end of it!).