What would you do? Hip pain

Options
NovemberJune
NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
For about a year, I have been dealing with pretty bad hip/pelvic pain.

A little history... I first had this pain during my 2nd pregnancy, but then it stopped once baby was born. I suspect I had SPD which is somewhat common during pregnancy but it was never diagnosed as such. Then I was working out at home for about a year, doing cardio and Jillian Michaels and Billy Blanks type workouts. My hips starting bothering me again and for a few days just walking hurt so I finally went to a chiropractor. That was May 2012. And I joined the gym so I could do low impact cardio and start lifting barbells. The worst thing for my hips at that point seemed to me to be running, lunges, and squats.

So fast forward a year later and my joint pain is still a big issue. They will be ok for 2-4 weeks and then I have to go to the chiro again. I even took 3 months off from squats and deadlifts seeing if that would help, then went back to squatting when things still didn't improve. I was doing dumbbell lunges instead. I started back with squats last month and I started doing romanian deadlifts because deadlifts really seem bother my hips.

The past week or so they have been really bad. I haven't done squats for a couple of weeks because of the hip pain, but I have been doing RDLs. Tuesday I was trying to do DB lunges and I was fine on left leg, but right leg, I'd go down and not be able to come back up at all. Which is what I'm afraid would happen with squats.

I went to the chiro yesterday but now my hip is still hurting and I know I can't squat like this so I'm going to have to go back AGAIN.

What kind of dr do you recommend? A physical therapist? I have a friend on here who has an amazing chiro who helped her get back to lifting after an injury but my chiro is pretty anti any exercise besides walking and fast walking. For anyone, not just me. I love him other than that but that's a big deal to me. I wish I could explain well what he says the issue is. Basically the pelvis/hip joints aren't stable. They get messed up and everything else follow which is why my shoulder is also bothering me this week.

I don't want to injure myself to the point that I can't even walk but I can't stand the idea of not being able to at least squat.

I'm looking for my squat video but can't find it .... hopefully will post it later. Thanks for any input guys. I really appreciate it.

Replies

• ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry about your pain. Dealing with a chronic thing is very disheartening.

Your post stuck out for me, as I was having hip pain myself and finally went to see a doctor about it. I was directed to an orthopaedic clinic and found out I have one herniated disc and one bulging disc. I let my problem go on far too long being getting checked out and probably made things worse for myself in the long run. I urge you to get checked out right away!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    This really sucks. There are some good personal trainers out there, that have a very good understanding of the human musculoskeletal system and movement patterns, and can help you fix issues like this. Unfortunately, PTs like this are very few and far between.

Honestly, I would try to reach out to people like Eric Cressey, Brad Schoenfeld, or Bret Contreras, and see if they could put me on contact with anybody that could help me.
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glute bridges and hip thrusts are good with my hips/pelvis so.... the Bret Contreras stalk-a-thon begins! Kidding, kidding! But do you think emailing them would get me anywhere? I know it wouldn't hurt.

I'm pretty sure the trainers at my gym would suggest leg extensions and leg curls which aside from whether they are good or bad are boring :tongue: BUT it's true that I can do them when my joints are hurting.

I did have x-rays with my chiro but I think it would be good to get a second opinion rather than go on and on like this when maybe there is something else that could solve it for good. Do you have back pain too Shmoozy, or just hip pain? I rarely have back pain but I know the hip/pelvis stuff is related to low back/sacrum.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glute bridges and hip thrusts are good with my hips/pelvis so.... the Bret Contreras stalk-a-thon begins! Kidding, kidding! But do you think emailing them would get me anywhere? I know it wouldn't hurt.

I have no idea how he would respond to a random person asking him for help, can't hurt to try though.

It's not like your asking to be trained for free though, just some direction/references. I can't imagine him being a **** about it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to see a doctor and to stay away from chiropractors.
  • ShmoozyQ
    Options
    No, I didn't have back pain at all. I was quite surprised to find out about my disc problem. I had been previously diagnosed by a PT with piriformis syndrome and was working on that but getting worse. Looking back, I should have started with an orthopedic evaluation, that would have saved me a lot of time, effort and pain.
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    Ok I have an appointment with an orthopedic physician next Thursday afternoon! I can't wait to hear what he has to say. Hopefully he'll be able to help. :smile:
  • ShmoozyQ
    Options
    Ok I have an appointment with an orthopedic physician next Thursday afternoon! I can't wait to hear what he has to say. Hopefully he'll be able to help. :smile:

Good to hear! I hope you're OK and simply need mobility work :) Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Either way, you're on your way to an answer now.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Glad you've got an appointment set up and answers to come. My chiro did x-rays too but they didn't pick up my two herniated discs. It took an MRI to see them...
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    Glad you've got an appointment set up and answers to come. My chiro did x-rays too but they didn't pick up my two herniated discs. It took an MRI to see them...

That's interesting! Well I saw on this place's website that if they can't identify the problem by x-ray they'll do MRIs so that's good.

Thanks you all for the advice and support! :bigsmile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I would maybe also see an OB/GYN to rule out something internal with your lady bits.

I'd also get my lower back checked, because that can cause referred pain into the hips and legs, etc. cause it's all connected from your spine on down and it all works together. Could be anything, really, including soft tissue/inflammatory related. I agree that an orthopedist is probably a good first approach.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking so we can keep track of active threads easier. Please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, and include a link to this thread. and we will unlock should you wish to add anything to it.
This discussion has been closed.