How many calories do you eat to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    After plateau-ing for a couple weeks eating 1500 cals/day, I have decided to up my calories...

I will be eating my TDEE-10% (since I am so close to my goal weight), which is 1700 cals.

I am scared but excited to see what will happen. If I gain weight I know that it is too much. Unless it's muscle of course, so I need to keep measuring...and give it a couple of weeks... :)
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Let us know what happens!
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 weigh around 150 lbs...really only trying to lose maybe 5-10 lbs.

When I'm doing Insanity (as I am right now), I eat around 1900 calories (I don't eat any workout calories back). When I'm not doing Insanity, but doing more regular intensity workouts, I stick to around 1600-1700 calories. It seems to work for me, when I stick with it :)
  • Annelies11
    Options
    I'm 5'11 weigh around 150 lbs...really only trying to lose maybe 5-10 lbs.

When I'm doing Insanity (as I am right now), I eat around 1900 calories (I don't eat any workout calories back). When I'm not doing Insanity, but doing more regular intensity workouts, I stick to around 1600-1700 calories. It seems to work for me, when I stick with it :)

We are very similar! I'm glad to hear 1600-1700 works for you when you are doing more regular workouts... so it might work for me too then. Today is my first day on 1700... gosh its so much food! I love it!
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight - 158 lbs (started MFP at the end of Jan. 2013)
    Current Weight - 144 lbs
    Goal weight - 135 lbs
    Exercise days (5x/week) - 1,800 to 2,000 cal/day
    No-exercise days - about 1,400 cal/day

MFP dropped me to 1,270 after I lost that first 10 lbs, but I'm not following that and am still eating the higher cals and still losing about .5 to 1 lb/week. (I usually weigh every 2 weeks or so so take the average.) While I'm working on losing the last 9 lbs, I'm also starting to strength train and am interested to see how that affects things.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I raised my intake from 1250ish to 1450-1500 after realizing the whole coma diet thing wasn't working out. But right after I changed I moved and don't have a scale right now so I kind of unsure about how it's affected me so far. I still fit in my pants so hopefully that means my metabolism is catching up! (I know 200 cals isn't really that big of a jump anyway... Just extra anxious I guess.)
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I was eating at a deficit last year I was eating around 2800 calories. I've reduced my activity level and eat 2400-2600 calories to maintain.

I'm 5'11", 169-174 lb and a size 4/6.

That is so freaking awesome.
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I aim for about 1400
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    5'9" and aiming for 1300 cals/day. I seem to just maintain at anything over 1500 cals/day, so that's where I'm at.
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options
    MFP has me eating 2320 a day... without exercise. I'm 5'10", 244 pounds. I've lost 10 pounds so far, so, hey.

And with my fitbit adjustment I sometimes get bumped to 3000+, no joke. Perks of working a job where I regularly walk 5 miles or more a day, carrying buckets of fish/water/sand/rocks.

I would die if I had to eat 1600 cals/day.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' and currently about 171. I am looking to get to 150-155...I'll see when I hit 155 how I look and feel. I was trying to eat about 1600-1800 cal/day...but get hungry on that. SO, I am just starting to do TDEE (2400cal/day doing exercise 3x/wk) minus about 15% or so bringing me to about 2000 cal/day. I just need to be consistent with this for a month to see what happens. Today is day 1! So I'll report back in 30 days (5/12) to let you know my results!
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Ugh - this is my absolute downfall & I'm afraid this thread hasn't been much help!

I'm 180/5"10 & have NFI where I should be with regard to eating calories. I KNOW that eating barely anything doesn't work, been there, done that, but when MFP tells me to eat 2,708 after taking into account my fitbit adjustments I just baulk, thinking "I want to LOSE weight!" & I'm finding it really hard to even try it out, although I have been adding high cal snacks like nuts & greek yoghurt, especially after exercise (I walk for 1hr20mins every night).

It is abhorrently hard for me to drop weight, and although the walking makes me feel better physically, seeing little change on the scales after all my efforts really does dishearten me. This past week I have been trying to get within 300 or 400 cals of my goal as dictated by MFP, it's scary but I hope it works!

I just got a HRM & after my walk last night discovered that my fitbit burn estimate (which I thought was waaaaaay too high) is actually around 100cal lower than I actually burn so I guess I really DO need to eat more, but it just so hard to get my head around that!
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight - 158 lbs (started MFP at the end of Jan. 2013)
    Current Weight - 144 lbs
    Goal weight - 135 lbs
    Exercise days (5x/week) - 1,800 to 2,000 cal/day
    No-exercise days - about 1,400 cal/day

MFP dropped me to 1,270 after I lost that first 10 lbs, but I'm not following that and am still eating the higher cals and still losing about .5 to 1 lb/week. (I usually weigh every 2 weeks or so so take the average.) While I'm working on losing the last 9 lbs, I'm also starting to strength train and am interested to see how that affects things.

That is awesome! Since starting this thread I have upped my cals several times.. and am now eating 2000 on workout days (which is only lifting weights) and 1800 on rest days. So I ate 2000 calories today and it was awesome! I was also finally able to hit my protein goal, which I couldn't do before. I am even a little hungry still so I think that means that it is not too much food for me. Strength training makes me so hungry! And I love it! Never going back down to less than 1800!!
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Ugh - this is my absolute downfall & I'm afraid this thread hasn't been much help!

I'm 180/5"10 & have NFI where I should be with regard to eating calories. I KNOW that eating barely anything doesn't work, been there, done that, but when MFP tells me to eat 2,708 after taking into account my fitbit adjustments I just baulk, thinking "I want to LOSE weight!" & I'm finding it really hard to even try it out, although I have been adding high cal snacks like nuts & greek yoghurt, especially after exercise (I walk for 1hr20mins every night).

It is abhorrently hard for me to drop weight, and although the walking makes me feel better physically, seeing little change on the scales after all my efforts really does dishearten me. This past week I have been trying to get within 300 or 400 cals of my goal as dictated by MFP, it's scary but I hope it works!

I just got a HRM & after my walk last night discovered that my fitbit burn estimate (which I thought was waaaaaay too high) is actually around 100cal lower than I actually burn so I guess I really DO need to eat more, but it just so hard to get my head around that!

I hear ya! Upping cals is scary! It took me a while to go from 1200 (where MFP put me) up to now 2000. I did it gradually and when I saw that I wasn't gaining weight, I would up it a little more. It will take your body a couple weeks to get used to more calories and you might not lose right away, but you need to wait a couple weeks. I am not trying to lose weights, just build muscle and lose fat, hence I am eating right at TDEE. So if you want to lose weight, eat maybe TDEE-15%? Have you figured out your TDEE?
  • GeekAmour
    Options

I hear ya! Upping cals is scary! It took me a while to go from 1200 (where MFP put me) up to now 2000. I did it gradually and when I saw that I wasn't gaining weight, I would up it a little more. It will take your body a couple weeks to get used to more calories and you might not lose right away, but you need to wait a couple weeks. I am not trying to lose weights, just build muscle and lose fat, hence I am eating right at TDEE. So if you want to lose weight, eat maybe TDEE-15%? Have you figured out your TDEE?

I hadn't, but I just googled & found a TDEE calculator... it said 3454 (!!!!) & -15% of that is 2935.9 - that can not be right. Maybe I shouldn't count my exercise?? According to my HRM my walk burnt 886 cals last night, but I only logged that as what my fitbit estimated, around 770, and MFP gave me a goal of 2708... I don't know HOW to eat that much, while making healthy choices!?
  • Annelies11
    Options

I hadn't, but I just googled & found a TDEE calculator... it said 3454 (!!!!) & -15% of that is 2935.9 - that can not be right. Maybe I shouldn't count my exercise?? According to my HRM my walk burnt 886 cals last night, but I only logged that as what my fitbit estimated, around 770, and MFP gave me a goal of 2708... I don't know HOW to eat that much, while making healthy choices!?

That does sound like a lot! You must be doing A LOT of exercise. As in several hours every day?? If so you might be totally stressing your body out. Are you sure you are not overestimating your exercise? That walk last night must have been 2 hours long to burn that many calories! Or were you speed walking ;)

I used this website: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    And it asks for hours per week of exercise.

I plugged in your height and weight, and even with the highest exercise setting per week, it didn't go up much higher than 3000. (Age might make a small difference, I don't know your age so I put in 30) So 3000 -15% = 2600.

After eating more, do you still feel hungry, or uncomfortably full? I am also finding it hard to eat more, but am getting used to it, and am starting to get hungry again, which I think is my metabolism speeding up as a result of the fuel I am giving it :)
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Also check out the group "Eat more to weigh less". There are some people there who give great advice and know a lot more about it than I do :)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    2000+ a day.
  • GeekAmour
    Options

That does sound like a lot! You must be doing A LOT of exercise. As in several hours every day?? If so you might be totally stressing your body out. Are you sure you are not overestimating your exercise? That walk last night must have been 2 hours long to burn that many calories! Or were you speed walking ;)

I used this website: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    And it asks for hours per week of exercise.

I plugged in your height and weight, and even with the highest exercise setting per week, it didn't go up much higher than 3000. (Age might make a small difference, I don't know your age so I put in 30) So 3000 -15% = 2600.

After eating more, do you still feel hungry, or uncomfortably full? I am also finding it hard to eat more, but am getting used to it, and am starting to get hungry again, which I think is my metabolism speeding up as a result of the fuel I am giving it :)

My walk was an hour and a half, brisk, I have been doing that every day & I feel great. My Polar HRM estimated the higher calorie burn, I went with the lower that my fitbit automatically tracks, and apart from that I just rely on my fitbit syncing & don't add anything additional. I AM heavy though - about 23kg to go to meet my initial goal which is at the higher end of my healthy weight range.

Good guess on the age, 31! I wonder if I aimed for 2000 a day that would be ok? Enough? I am perfectly satisfied with the amount of food I am eating & never hungry since I have a primal leaning toward good fats & low sugar.

Thank you for all your help by the way, I really appreciate it, will check out that group stat. :)
  • GeekAmour
    Options
    Annelies11 - thank you for pointing out that group, after reading & *cough* re-reading the TDEE & BMR sticky, and then, watching the video, I GET IT!

BMR: 1822
    TDEE - 15%: 2400

*happy dance*