morning blood sugar highs

Options
BeckyAnne4
BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
Who else out there has high fasting blood sugar levels? When I wake up in the morning my blood sugar is - at the lowest around 130, but typically 150-170 or so, and occassionally it goes higher. So far, I have tried; not eating 2-4 hours before bed. Having a small snack right before bed. Taking my nighttime dose of oral meds later in the evening. Taking them earlier in the evening. Skipping my evening meds all together (which causes my levels in the morning rise to up to 200+.) Currently when I test right before bed I'm testing between 100-130 (depending on how late and/or carb-y my dinner was) It's madness! I'm hoping that some weight loss will help force my liver to behave so I can get these numbers under control, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Tell me your story. :smile:

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. Unfortunately the only way to get those morning fasting numbers down is to decrease your carb intake and get rid of the Atkins products.

While Atkins products claim to be low "net" carb I would call them "slow" carb. The blood glucose reaction to them doesn't necessarily show up within the first two hours but will elevate your blood glucose later and longer. The same delayed reaction can and will occur with any product that mimics a high carb product but claims to have low net carbs like Dreamfields pastas and low carb breads. http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dreamfields-pasta-fraud

Get your limited carbs from full fat dairy, meats, low glycemic vegetables and very limited amounts of fruit.

Increase your fat. Fat slows down carb absorption and helps stabilize blood glucose levels.

Excellent information for diabetics is found at bloodsugar101.com.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What kind of snacks have you tried at night? Have you tried protein? Lean meat , yogurt or nuts. I am on insulin and used to have high fasting blood sugars and my doctor had increased insulin at night. Now with exercise (which I tend to do in the evening), he has actually reduced my insulin at night.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You should discuss this with your doctor. You might need to change your medication, add a second med or consider taking a bedtime shot of long acting insulin. My doctor told me that people who are diagnosed with type 2 at a young age often need insilin sooner rather than later. I was diagnosed in 1989 at age 34 and was on insulin les than 5 years later. The good news is that I've been in tight control ever since with A1Cs from 5.7-5.9
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Becky Ann,
    I understand completely. I still have numbers too high for the ADA standard as currently written.
    I've changed my primary physician to a believer in paleo/primal and am waiting for some results on an in-depth blood analysis. She isn't overly obsessed with FBG in the 120-130 range for now (that used to be a shoot for range). She, like me, doesn't want to use meds unless and until it becomes absolutely necessary.
    My diary is open to friends, so friend me if you wish.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I still have pretty high ones. Even if I see good #s the day before I am usually in the 115-125 range in the morning. If I'm sick or something I've seen in the 130s but not higher than that (since diagnosis last year when it ran from 150-180). I am on metformin and I think if I can stick to a regular exercise routine then maybe I can get it down.
  • javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed for 15 months now and mine are averaging pretty high. FBG ave around 150-180. I feel like I've tried everything. I take metformin and glipizide. My doctor believes if I lose the weight my FBG will come down. Which has happened in the past but not normal levels. Both of us are hoping that if I lose the 50lbs I need to then I will see normal FBG levels.
  • JenArcand
    Options
    I am curious, what would make you decide to take medicine? I am in the same boat, I do not want to take medicine but FBS are not lowering and not sure if I should take medicine to help.
  • Mrsmomrnmima
    Mrsmomrnmima Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My decision to take medication was based on the hard cold fact I WASN'T loosing weight, and fear of the complications of diabetes. At one point, I lost a ton of weight and was able to get off all meds, but it crept back on (only half) but the need for meds came back, so I take them as faithfully as possible, and grateful they are keeping my A1C down and hopefully keeping the complications away, while I fight the battle of the bulge again.
  • 41hotmomof3
    41hotmomof3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed my numbers were consistently high too. Until I started exercising. This is what brought my numbers under control very quick. I don't know if you have started an exercise program but it might be worth a try
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When you go to bed you MUST eat (except if your blood sugar is already too high at that moment, in which case you only eat proteins or even nothing at all).

The latest you eat before going to bed is the best because you are going to fast for many hours and your sugar level will eventually drop. If it drops too low, your liver is going to shoot 45 ( or so) mg of sugar in your blood. Thus the high level you experienced in the morning. This is why you should try never to be more than 6 hours without eating.

The best snack is usually a glass of milk which contains the perfect combination of sugar and proteins. But it will always depend on your sugar level at bed time.

I learned all that from a nurse when my husband became diabetic a few years ago. It makes sense and works perfectly for him. You just need to test your blood and choose the correct snack (usually containing both sugar and proteins) depending on the results.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ...my numbers were consistently high too. Until I started exercising.
    I'm a big believer in exercise for controlling blood sugar levels.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My FBG levels were in the mid 80s to low 90s pretty consistantly until about 2 weeks ago. Now they have crept up to the low 100s, usually not over 110. I'm not sure what I am doing differently now that has caused the change. I try to have my dinner by 7:30 at the latest, earlier if possible but my work schedule doesn't always allow for that. If I eat too late in the evening I tend to skip the evening snack.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am curious, what would make you decide to take medicine? I am in the same boat, I do not want to take medicine but FBS are not lowering and not sure if I should take medicine to help.
    Well for me my doctor put me on it at diagnosis. She started me off on 1 pill a day and after a month visit upped it to 2. I would rather be on it now to help keep my #s down than to have to start other meds earlier or have complications from high blood sugars.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    @jeansuza...Thanks for the suggestions for the BG spike during the night. I've read quite a few opinions on things to try, but your explanation is very concise and helpful. I need to figure out what the cut off number might be for whether to snack, not snack and what to do...sugar and protein (milk) or protein only or none. Thanks for the guidance.