Do I have to have exact ratios?

Options
jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
I have started doing TDEE less 20% and have my ratios of 40 carb and 30 and 30. I am not achieving my protein and often over a few grams on fat. As long as I am in my calorie range, should I still lose if I have all my figures right?

Thanks in advance for reply x

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    In that respect, most studies show that a calorie is a calorie. What KIND of weight you lose is the complex equation: Muscle mass or fat.

If you're missing by a gram here or there, I don't think it's that important. If your ratios are completely out of whack for your body type, you'll start to feel it eventually and can make a correction. Strive for balance and not OCD. ;-)
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    In that respect, most studies show that a calorie is a calorie. What KIND of weight you lose is the complex equation: Muscle mass or fat.

If you're missing by a gram here or there, I don't think it's that important. If your ratios are completely out of whack for your body type, you'll start to feel it eventually and can make a correction. Strive for balance and not OCD. ;-)

I only have approx 7lbs to lose to get to goal of 135 lbs and my body fat sits around 28%. I really want to get this right because I am fed up of fad diets and starving for no gains! I had got to the point that I felt that I had to skip meals to stop gaining weight because I have messed about with my diet for so long! I want to shift the last few while eating like a normal person! I am going away on beach holiday in 7 weeks and really would like to shift a few lbs before then, so want to get it right. I have started on 20% cut just to get back into eating regularly. This way is already scary, eating meals and snacks etc so I will give it a few weeks before going to 15%.

I also started including protein shakes, but I still not getting my protein by 40grams
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I only have approx 7lbs to lose to get to goal of 135 lbs and my body fat sits around 28%. I really want to get this right because I am fed up of fad diets and starving for no gains! I had got to the point that I felt that I had to skip meals to stop gaining weight because I have messed about with my diet for so long! I want to shift the last few while eating like a normal person! I am going away on beach holiday in 7 weeks and really would like to shift a few lbs before then, so want to get it right. I have started on 20% cut just to get back into eating regularly. This way is already scary, eating meals and snacks etc so I will give it a few weeks before going to 15%.

I also started including protein shakes, but I still not getting my protein by 40grams

To get it right then with only 7lbs to lose - your deficit should only be 10%, no where near 20%.

That too large deficit and if you are always under on protein, does mean risking muscle mass, depending on your workout type.

Besides, with more calories to eat, hitting the ratio isn't as bad, just need 1 gram of protein for 1 lb of LBM.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, a few grams over on fat won't kill you.
    I made the mistake of going for 40, 30, 30 with a large TDEE due toe xercise, eating at maintenance I would be eating 200+ grams of protein (I weigh 155 ish)! Like heybales said, you only need 1g per lb lbm, but somewhere between 1g per lb lbm and 1g per lb body weight is fine.
    Eating lots of meat is the easiest way to get protein for me. Chicken breasts are lifesavers! Bake some in the beginning of the week, and you can use them all week, adding a little to every meal even if it's not actually part of the meal. I try not to have too many protein shakes, because the one I like is loaded with sugar :)
    Greek yogurt really helps as well. It tastes better and has less sugar/carbs if you get plain yogurt and add your own flavoring.