Help please - my weight doesn't seem to stabilize!

Options
SweetHarmony81
SweetHarmony81 Posts: 123 Member
Hi there!
I have been trying to do the reset for the last couple of months, increasing slowly to tdee. The first 3 weeks I was eating below by tdee but steadily increasing and have gained around 8lbs. Then on week 5 I was very close to tdee and still gained around 2lbs. For the last 2 weeks I am eating at my tdee (going my what my fitbit says) and I have gained another 3 lbs!

For reference, I'm 5'6 started at 144lbs, currently at 157lbs, bf % ~24. strength workouts 3x/wk for 1h, but I'll change that to 4x/wk for 40'. Used to eat low cal for years combined with strength training!
Most calculator have me at 2050-2100cals but fitbit has me between 1950-2400, but usually around 2200. So I'm aiming for ~2200

What am I doing wrong? why the weight gain does not stop at some point??? Should I stay there, drop cals?

(btw, food log is open if you want to have a look)

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    As you know I had the same problem. I am interested to see what others think.

One question, are you absolutely certain about your intake? Do you measure your food and count every bite??? I found that measuring on a scale as opposed to using measuring cups was much more accurate. For example, when I thought I was eating 1/2 cup dry oatmeal, when I measured it out, it was definately more and those cals can add up. Hope someone has some answers for you! Since you have been doing this for 2 mos, I would guess maybe drop down by 100 and see what happens??? Not sure though.....Good LUck!! Hang in there!
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options
    Thanks for the support
    I am counting everything on a food scale. I really want to finish the reset, but it seems I'm doing something wrong? not sure why my body holds on to all the food I eat. Plus ALL measurements have gone up! So it's not muscle weight either...
  • Aleysia87
    Aleysia87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A consistent weight gain over so many weeks suggests it isn't water weight.

I would check to make sure you really are eating 2200 cals a day, because gaining 3 lbs in 2 weeks while eating 2200 cals would mean that your body is only burning about 1450 cals a day!

I doubt that is the case, especially after months of reverse dieting. Although, they say that it takes almost as long to repair your metabolism as it did to damage it in the first place, and I'm not sure how bad your "used to eat low cal for years" is.

I know that some trainers suggest increasing daily caloric intake by as little as 100 cals a week (e.g. 1500/day the first week, 1600/day the next week, etc.) when reverse dieting. I don't think you need to go back to 1500 cals/day, but maybe increase it a bit slower?
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options
    Well, I used to eat 1200-1400 for years. Since Nov last year I have tried increasing slowly ... I was calorie cycling then so I was doing 1700-1800 on workout days and 1400-1500 on rest. Then I increased that to 1900/1600 and then 2000/1600. I saw little gain by then. but I still couldn't loose so I though I need to do a reset!

So I stopped the calorie cycling and tried eating around 1850 the first week, then 1900 then 1950 and 2000. During these four weeks I have gained around 8-9lbs. Then, since I was gaining anyways I though to jump straight to my tdee so I went to 2150 and then 2200. I have gained another 3-4lbs.

What I want to say is that I didn't go from 1400 to 2200! I took some time

I'm really confused at this point though...maybe the reset is just for people that used to eat low calorie for a few months and just saw their weight loss halt... On the other hand, I really think that if I try to cut back my calories now, my body will simply adjust to those calories again and not loose (except maybe 2-3lbs initial loss!)
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    I would say not to cut back by more than 100 calories per day and give it a couple weeks to see what happens. DOnt forget time of month may play a role as well, so one week is not enough. I would also make sure you are logging everything so you can be sure the error is not in what you eat. The other thing is, for me, I seem to lose easier on lower carbs. Really lower glycemic as opposed to lower carbs, so I avoid white bread, potatoes, pasta etc and eat sweet potatoes, whole grains, etc.

THis is exactly what I went through and I under ate for years as well. I never did find the answer for me, and now that I am pregnant it will have to wait. I do believe though that for some people, eating more just wont work. Hope your not one of them!!!
  • colleen3115
    colleen3115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Your fitbit TDEE may not actually be what YOUR TDEE is. Fitbit only knows your age, height, weight and gender. It doesn't know what your body composition is. So fitbit gives a good idea of your daily energy changes but the actual TDEE is probably different and it looks like yours is probably lower if you continue to gain.
  • manal2288
    manal2288 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    do you have any other problems , feeling lazy or sleepy , or irregular period , anything ????
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Your FitBit is using the Harris BMR as basis for estimating calories for sleeping, non-moving, and slow moving time.

What is your Harris BMR?

What is your better estimate Katch BMR based on body composition (as mentioned above)?

You can use the spreadsheet to get these figures too - TDEE Deficit tab or MFP Tweak tab once your stats are entered on Simple Setup tab.

Or if you have a decent bodyfat estimate, use this.

When you include the BF%, it's Katch, without it, it's Harris.

If Harris is 200-400 over Katch - there's your problem - inflated FitBit TDEE.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options
    Your FitBit is using the Harris BMR as basis for estimating calories for sleeping, non-moving, and slow moving time.

What is your Harris BMR?

What is your better estimate Katch BMR based on body composition (as mentioned above)?

You can use the spreadsheet to get these figures too - TDEE Deficit tab or MFP Tweak tab once your stats are entered on Simple Setup tab.

Or if you have a decent bodyfat estimate, use this.

When you include the BF%, it's Katch, without it, it's Harris.

If Harris is 200-400 over Katch - there's your problem - inflated FitBit TDEE.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtools.html

My bf% is around 24%. I had it tested at a dietician plus a trainer at my gym used kalipers and got something similar. My BMR using both formulas is around 1510 (+-20 cals) so both formulas seem in line. The dietician measured it to 1565 a few months ago. So the numbers seen to be in line.

Unfortunately TOTM is not close. Also, no other major issues (i.e. not feeling lazy,sleepy etc).

So, do you suggest i cut by 100 cals or so? I'm just wondering, if 100 cals was the problem then i shouldn't be gaining 2-3 lbs in 2 weeks!
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    I would start with 100 for a couple weeks and if you are still over, either way you should gain less, if that makes any sense. SO if you really are eating over your cals by 7000+ per week, which is what you would have to do to gain 2 lbs per week, try cutting 100 cals per day, and you should only gain 1.5-1.75lbs in theory. If you are still gaining the same, then I would say there must be an error in TDEE or you are overestimating burn, or you are underestimating what you are eating.. Double and triple check everything you eat. ALso, I would only make one change for the next 2 weeks, and then maybe try decreasing starchy carbs and see if that makes any difference....
  • heybales
    Options
    So that's good the FitBit is using best estimated BMR, for those times.

The other aspect then, is are you doing workouts it is good at measuring?

The lifting is not at all, probably doesn't even register hardly. Spin won't, elliptical may or may not depending on the machine and the device's placement. Rowing no good.

Some stuff could inflate it. I've heard of one finally noticing a driving trip on Sat gave them a big TDEE, they wondered why. Until they missed the Sat drive. It was over washboard gravel roads, and the bumps causes steps to be taken. A whole bunch!

Since you are coming at this from the high end, and not undereating end, I'd suggest an RMR test.
    Normally I'd suggest bodyfat Bodpod test for accuracy, and base BMR on what should be.

But I know in some cases, me for example, RMR is lower for like, say, endurance cardio being done. Mine is 250 lower for that reason.

Now, their suggestions of eating level I'd ignore, since the tech running the machine has no clue but common advice they are told to pass out. But that info can be used to then nail BMR, FitBit can be adjusted, and therefore TDEE estimated better.

Because with the way the FitBit underestimated lifting, I'd almost think you are still under, but good suggestion above to lower by small amount.

I'd even say test for 2 weeks. Drop 250 calories.
    And weigh every valid day (morning after rest day having eaten normal sodium levels, not sore from prior lifting workout).
    If fast weight loss - water. But once past that, go complete 2 weeks. Should be 1 lb in 2 weeks with 250 cal deficit. Or at least 1 lb less gained you might say if constantly gaining.

And try to notice how the lifting feels.
    It should take an impact eating over TDEE compared to eating at or under TDEE.
    If it doesn't feel real strong right now, I'd still almost think under TDEE right now, and you are still gaining water weight associated with increased LBM.
    Which is great, that water weight as part of LBM is increased metabolism.
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options
    So that's good the FitBit is using best estimated BMR, for those times.

The other aspect then, is are you doing workouts it is good at measuring?

The lifting is not at all, probably doesn't even register hardly. Spin won't, elliptical may or may not depending on the machine and the device's placement. Rowing no good.

Some stuff could inflate it. I've heard of one finally noticing a driving trip on Sat gave them a big TDEE, they wondered why. Until they missed the Sat drive. It was over washboard gravel roads, and the bumps causes steps to be taken. A whole bunch!

Since you are coming at this from the high end, and not undereating end, I'd suggest an RMR test.
    Normally I'd suggest bodyfat Bodpod test for accuracy, and base BMR on what should be.

But I know in some cases, me for example, RMR is lower for like, say, endurance cardio being done. Mine is 250 lower for that reason.

Now, their suggestions of eating level I'd ignore, since the tech running the machine has no clue but common advice they are told to pass out. But that info can be used to then nail BMR, FitBit can be adjusted, and therefore TDEE estimated better.

Because with the way the FitBit underestimated lifting, I'd almost think you are still under, but good suggestion above to lower by small amount.

I'd even say test for 2 weeks. Drop 250 calories.
    And weigh every valid day (morning after rest day having eaten normal sodium levels, not sore from prior lifting workout).
    If fast weight loss - water. But once past that, go complete 2 weeks. Should be 1 lb in 2 weeks with 250 cal deficit. Or at least 1 lb less gained you might say if constantly gaining.

And try to notice how the lifting feels.
    It should take an impact eating over TDEE compared to eating at or under TDEE.
    If it doesn't feel real strong right now, I'd still almost think under TDEE right now, and you are still gaining water weight associated with increased LBM.
    Which is great, that water weight as part of LBM is increased metabolism.

Thanks for that!

I use a HRM to log my workout calories and then update my fitbit. For a typical strength workout my fitbit says around 250cal/hour and my HRM about 450cal/hour so I just replace the 250cal with 450 for that hour. I don't do much cardio except a 10-15min walk after my lifting.
    I have been lifting for a few years now and my lifts are quite big and nice so unfortunately I can't say that this is due to starting a new workout program. My measurements are also all up, so even if I have gained some muscle, there's still a lot of fat & water gain!

Other than my time in the gym, I'm most of the day in the house. I work from home on a computer and use the car to go to the gym, supermarket etc (all of which are like 10' away). I have no children, so I would say my other activities should be logged pretty accurately with my fitbit

I'm thinking of dropping to 1950 then (-250) for a week and see. A question though, if I don't lose or gain in this week, what would this mean. Am I not going one step back now by dropping my calories if my weight has not been stabilised?
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for that!

I use a HRM to log my workout calories and then update my fitbit. For a typical strength workout my fitbit says around 250cal/hour and my HRM about 450cal/hour so I just replace the 250cal with 450 for that hour. I don't do much cardio except a 10-15min walk after my lifting.
    I have been lifting for a few years now and my lifts are quite big and nice so unfortunately I can't say that this is due to starting a new workout program. My measurements are also all up, so even if I have gained some muscle, there's still a lot of fat & water gain!

Other than my time in the gym, I'm most of the day in the house. I work from home on a computer and use the car to go to the gym, supermarket etc (all of which are like 10' away). I have no children, so I would say my other activities should be logged pretty accurately with my fitbit

I'm thinking of dropping to 1950 then (-250) for a week and see. A question though, if I don't lose or gain in this week, what would this mean. Am I not going one step back now by dropping my calories if my weight has not been stabilised?

Well, there's one problem - you are eating more with HRM estimate of lifting - totally inflated value.

HRM calorie formula only valid for steady-state aerobic exercise where HR is mainly same for 2-5 min at a time. Lifting is neither steady state nor aerobic.

MFP estimate is better there, likely tad higher than FitBit, but low where it should be.

Just pick out strength training in cardio exercises, enter time, and see what the calorie burn would be.

Now what would be the daily TDEE with that corrected?
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options
    Thanks for that!

Well, there's one problem - you are eating more with HRM estimate of lifting - totally inflated value.

HRM calorie formula only valid for steady-state aerobic exercise where HR is mainly same for 2-5 min at a time. Lifting is neither steady state nor aerobic.

MFP estimate is better there, likely tad higher than FitBit, but low where it should be.

Just pick out strength training in cardio exercises, enter time, and see what the calorie burn would be.

Now what would be the daily TDEE with that corrected?

There are two entries for "strength training" in MFP cardio exercises, one gives me 330 cal for 40' the other 140cal for 40'. My HRM said 320 for 40' today for example, so that's what I have logged. So if this is inaccurate then I'm off my about 150 cal on my workout days. On the other hand, my hart rate goes up when I strength train (e.g. when I do really heavy squats, deadlifts etc so I'm not sure if the value I get is very off).
    In any case though, that would be an error of 150-200 cal x 3 (workouts/week) = 450-600 cal estimate error. Not a huge amount, right?

Sorry for all the questions heybales, I really appreciate your input!! Just trying to figure out my issues...

Silly question, but could it be a problem that I'm really sedentary? I mean, I used to exercise a lot (strength training, hitt, cardio, liss, metcons etc), but I have slowly reduce all and now I only strength train 3x/wk. Just basic compound exercises and a 10min walk in the end. nothing more. I'm doing this intentionally so that my metabolism can catch up. I plan to very slowly add back some hiit and maybe 1-2 liss sessions when I start to cut. But maybe I just sit too much??
  • heybales
    Options
    There are two entries for "strength training" in MFP cardio exercises, one gives me 330 cal for 40' the other 140cal for 40'. My HRM said 320 for 40' today for example, so that's what I have logged. So if this is inaccurate then I'm off my about 150 cal on my workout days. On the other hand, my hart rate goes up when I strength train (e.g. when I do really heavy squats, deadlifts etc so I'm not sure if the value I get is very off).
    In any case though, that would be an error of 150-200 cal x 3 (workouts/week) = 450-600 cal estimate error. Not a huge amount, right?

Sorry for all the questions heybales, I really appreciate your input!! Just trying to figure out my issues...

Silly question, but could it be a problem that I'm really sedentary? I mean, I used to exercise a lot (strength training, hitt, cardio, liss, metcons etc), but I have slowly reduce all and now I only strength train 3x/wk. Just basic compound exercises and a 10min walk in the end. nothing more. I'm doing this intentionally so that my metabolism can catch up. I plan to very slowly add back some hiit and maybe 1-2 liss sessions when I start to cut. But maybe I just sit too much??

I just searched for strength training and there is only one - you may have an entry you personally modified.

The 140 is more correct.

Your HR should go up, to the anaerobic level if you are lifting on fresh muscle that can really push it.

But that's not an aerobic response that requires oxygen - which is the whole basis for a HRM calorie burn formula.
    In fact, for squats and deads and few others, you should be holding your breath on the lifting and most of the dropping phase, to lock in your back.
    And it makes no difference to the HR, because oxygen isn't being used anyway. While you recover, ATP being put back into cells, so note even needed there.

If you were doing lots of cardio, you may indeed be in great shape and your sedentary is very quickly sedentary, fast HR recovery after any exertion level.

Still probably BMR x 1.25 for that level though in general.

Don't try to add back HIIT. You can't do proper HIIT if lifting 3 x weekly anyway, and you'll just negatively impact your lifting.

Besides which, HIIT is the recommendation for those only doing cardio, so they can have a lifting type workout and effects.
    But you are already doing lifting.
    If you need more calories to eat, then cardio in the Active Recovery HR zone on non-lifting days is fine, no extra load added to muscles.
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options
    Thanks a lot heybales!

I'll stick with only heavy lifting for a couple more weeks. Then I think i'll add one day of 30' swimming and 1-2 liss sessions (fast incline 30' walking) and a small -10% cut

Still not sure why my weight does not seem to stabilise ... will give it another week and report back. Hopefully that it has finally stabilised!