Hip Pain with ATG Squats

Options
2»

Replies

• downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    bumping too as my hip flexors are almost inflexible at the moment. Can't go parallel much less atg.

thanks for the info everyone
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Bumpin' it on! I have major hip flexor injury and very interested to hear your results on the pain and how you feel in a couple days. Sure as hell hope you've found your solution!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Bumping because this post has great info (thanks fire and burt for that convo). I'm going to think about the steroid floor ripper the next time I squat :p
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    That's great advice there.
    (Bumps)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    bumpity.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Bumping because there is some fantastic stuff in this thread.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Update - did Agile 8 last night before stronglifts. I found a lot of sore and tender spots that I really wish I had been working on for months rather than continuing to train with knots and problems!

I did my squats with the technique described here and while I feel lingering soreness from my previous work, pushing the floor apart with my feet made a significant improvement in my form (and capacity).

Just bumping to see if your hip pain is any better now.

Yes - Agile 8 and more thorough static stretches after exercises, combined with a little bit more focus on form, all seem to have combined to eliminate the issue. It's a little too soon for me to believe I've got everything solved yet though. If it doesn't recur in the next month I think I'll call this collection of advice a success.
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also have very loose joints - what you were saying about being too flexible is absolutely true. The solution is to be super careful about your alignment or you risk popping your joints out or stretching ligaments instead of muscles. Foam rollers and tennis balls are absolutely the way to go and if you are super flexi much better for you than stretching!
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with my right hip flexor when I my leg is bent and I move it laterally. It involves the tendons getting stuck on each other. Do you think it's something like that? It is called, internal snapping hip syndrome. The stretching greatly helps.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with my right hip flexor when I my leg is bent and I move it laterally. It involves the tendons getting stuck on each other. Do you think it's something like that? It is called, internal snapping hip syndrome. The stretching greatly helps.

That sounds like it... It seemed a little more a pinch as the angle between my torso and femur decreases to minimal as I was hitting bottom. When powering out it was no good. Exacerbated doing barbell rows and deads which entail a similar angle.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get me a tennis ball to day in the hopes of calming down my piriformis somewhat which has definitely been acting up again since I started lifting.

Grr.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Fire_Rock, I'm not certain how I come out of the hole.

I'm planning to lift tonight so I'll see if I can make a video of my form.

Try to pull the floor apart with your feet.

If you stand with your feet shoulder width apart with your hands on your hips and pull the floor apart, you'll feel your hip flexors fire. Do that at the bottom of the squat.

Disclaimer: the floor won't actually pull apart, unless you're on roids or creatine

That's so awesome! I love you for that! No, seriously, I needed to read this.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Feel free to cry.

You were not kidding. Ehr.mah.gerd. :sad:

Hurts so good though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking so we can keep track of active threads easier. Please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, and include a link to this thread. and we will unlock should you wish to add anything to it.
This discussion has been closed.