Ran five miles!

Options
timeasterday
timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
Today my wife & I went for our monthly visit to Stone Mountain. We always get there very early and start the day by hiking the 2-mile roundtrip trail to the top and back. Then we go out for a run on the road that loops around the mountain. I've never been able to run a complete loop without stopping but today I did it - a full five miles without ever stopping! My goal was to take it easy and just see if I could finish. I wanted to keep a 6 min/km pace but ended up averaging 5:43 min/km. I was so happy when my Garmin beeped for the 8K mark. Now that totally gives me the confidence to run 10K. My wife ran two loops around the mountain - 16K total at 5:40 min/km pace!!

I also set my best time for the hike up the mountain - 16 minutes for the 1-mile hike to the top with 200m elevation gain.

This week I finish C25K and move on to 10K training.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wonderful! That's really terrific! You're doing great!

My husband just bought me a Garmin. Are you happy with yours?
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Thanks!!

Yes, love my Forerunner 310XT.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! That's long, fast, and high. Did you rest for the remainder of the day?
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Very nicely done, your fitness must have improved no end.
    Good luck for all you do after the c25k, sounds like you and your partner are quite a pair.
    Well done, to the both of you.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Wow!!! That's long, fast, and high. Did you rest for the remainder of the day?

Oh yeah. I relaxed all day after getting home. Then I soaked my feet in our hot foot bath with epsom salts for a while and that felt great.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Awesome! Sounds like a real progress to me. Liove the idea of the foot bath afterwards, I do that sometimes too. :)
  • timeasterday
    Options
    The hot foot bath was one of the best things we ever bought that's running related. I can set the exact temperature I want and it holds it there. It's pretty deep too and goes halfway up my shins. Right next to that we have an OSIM foot massager. It's like our own little foot spa at home!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    That foot bath DOES sound nice. It was the "half-way up my shins" part that got me. Now I need to go look for one, too.

I started taking Epsom salt baths when I started c25K, and they are my favorite after exercise treat. I don't need one after every run like I did in the beginning, but I will soak every chance I can.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hunh. The hike up Stone Mountain always kills me. I can never make it all the way up without resting and can't imagine running afterwards. However, I haven't been there in awhile...I wonder if I'd do better now with my runner's legs.