Unexpected Non Scale Victory (NSV)

Options
hilliardjoe
hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
So during March Madness I noticed that it was getting hard to read the scores on TV and I started sitting closer to the TV so I could actually read them. I then realized I should see my eye doctor and today was my appointment.

So he was going through the exam and doing the typical "which one is better 3 or 4" type deal with small changes and after one check he asked if I had lost weight and I told him how much I had lost. He then continued with the exam and said we would talk about the weight loss later.

So we get done and he tells me that my eyes are better than the last time I was in which was 6 months ago. I was shocked, I thought eyesight always got worse as you aged.

He then asked me how I lost the weight (I said eating Primal) and then asked specifically which types of foods I was eating. I told him grass-fed meat and veggies and that I wasn't eating grains and cutting back on sugar a lot (including fruit). He said it sounds like I am eating nutrient dense foods and that eyesight can be affected by the nutrients you eat (I had a 'duh' moment then) and that I must be getting much more of them than I was before and that led to the improvement in my eyes.

When we were done he then started asking me more details about how I lost the weight and said the thing I'm sure most of us have heard when people ask about our weight loss - "I could never give up bread".

But I am most psyched about my vision improvement. I'll still always need contacts/glasses but it was nice to have the change be in the positive direction for a change.

Replies

• ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Congrats to you on that victory!!

I don't know why people say hey can't do something. I always say "Sure you can. You just don't want to." Big difference.
  • nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    That's awesome! How amazing to have gone into a check-up after thinking that things were getting worse only to find out the opposite! Hooray!!

LOL, I agree ichorica! That was in fact my excuse for quite some time! :)
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful gives me hope to improve my eyes:)
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I never even thought of that. I've been putting off an eye exam for years - maybe it won't be as bad as it could've been awhile ago :)
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    super interesting.
    I just had my appointment last week and complained that the prescription he gave me last time is now horrible. He reran everything and said, "your prescription totally changed - not better, not worse - but 'rotated'". So what I gave you before now just makes things worse.
    He said, that happens sometimes because the eye is soft tissue, but it isn't terribly common to have it change.

On the "funny" side - he asked if I had any recent changes like weight or diet, I said yes and that I lost a lot of weight recently. His comment, "wow that is awesome, so you are eating a lot less meat?" - um no....
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I hadn't had an eye exam since I lost weight and started primal eating. At my recent exam the doctor was amazed that my prescription hadn't changed as much as she'd expected it to based on my past changes and my age. She didn't ask about weight loss or diet, but I guess it's possible primal eating has helped me by slowing my vision loss.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is exciting news! Great job. I'm glad the doc asked about your diet and listened. Pretty cool!
  • hopeful0131
    Options
    There are of course many nutrients that are important for eye health -- but I learned years ago that the eyes are one of the most concentrated places for Vitamin C in the body.

I was having flashes of white light in my peripheral vision, and my eye doctor said that my retina may detach -- and that no, there were no supplements I could take to keep it from happening. Ummmm.... right. I came home and did my own research, started taking 1500 mg of Vitamin C daily, and it completely went away. For years. It recently started happening again -- a sign to me that I was not getting enough Vitamin C. Since I have concentrated on getting more Vitamin C-rich foods and occasional supplements, it has stopped again. Proof enough for me. The surgery for retinal detachment is horrible -- and that's probably where I'd have been if I had trusted the info from one doctor who is uneducated about the power of our nutritional choices.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I absolutely believe that healthy food (what WE consider healthy) will heal, or improve, all ailments. It seems completely logical to me. In addition to diet, there are also exercises that one can do to help improve eyesight. For me, I think my nearsightedness has been caused by a lifetime indoors and stuck in front of electronics. Every time that I get out on the land (ie camping, hunting, etc) I notice that even after one day my eyesight starts to improve. After about a week outdoors, I don't need my glasses at all. Unfortunately, my eyesight deteriotes immediately once I return to my regular life.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    wow that is so awesome!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    thats great!!! my prescriptiuon I have noticed is not up to par on my vision lately, hoping my eyes improved too, need to get checked soon!! I know they have def changed, hopefully not for worse lol
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Sweet! Looking forward to maybe experiencing the same thing myself!
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The surgery for retinal detachment is horrible -- and that's probably where I'd have been if I had trusted the info from one doctor who is uneducated about the power of our nutritional choices.

Funny you bring this up. 17 years ago I had the retina in my right eye spontaneously detach. I had to get a scleral buckle to "fix" it. That is basically a band of plastic around my eyeball to force the eye to maintain contact with the retina. They also applied some sort of "glue" to both eyes as my other eye was showing signs that it might detach also.

Even after the surgery that eye can only be corrected to 20/40 and even that is amazing according to my doctor. I'll take it though since when the retina detached I only had peripheral vision out of that eye, very weird.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting! that is so cool
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That's great news!

I can certainly tell that over the past year I've become far-sighted, which is so crazy after a lifetime of being horribly near-sighted. My vision was so bad that my eye doctor said I was "functionally blind" sounds dramatic, but just meant that I couldn't function without my glasses/contacts. I waited soooooo long to have my vision corrected, and now kick myself for waiting that long. It was a drastic improvement in my quality of life once I had the correction.

I couldn't get Lasik because my correction needed to be pretty wide and I apparently have thin corneas. I ended up getting PRK which was NOT fun, but amazingly, I've been 20/20 for the past 8 years.

I'm glad to know that eating Primal can improve eyesight... I just don't think it can compete with 8 hrs a day in front of a monitor and then hours on my iPad! I need to unplug!