Marriage...is there any hope?

Options
Soooo...as I am getting my hair done for my sister's wedding on Saturday, my very good friend calls and tells me she and her hisband are done. He has been cheating on her for the last month. I was in their wedding last July.
He is literally the last person we would suspect of doing this. She was blindsided. There will be no reconciliation. The wedding isn't even fully paid off.

Honestly, everyone I know breaks up. Is it silly to bother getting married these days?

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Definitely silly.

--P
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Not silly but people need to realize it isn't something it is disposabile and they actually have to work at.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Not silly but people need to realize it isn't something it is disposabile and they actually have to work at.
    Marriage isn't for everyone but I agree it's not silly and it takes a lot of communication and work to make it last.
  • Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options
    My folks have been married for 37 years. I would hope there is. Marriage requires a lot of work on both parties but it's doable.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Not silly at all :smile: I was with my ex for 21 years. The loss of our relationship was neccessary but devastating for us as people and for our family, but I don't regret all the years we spent together or what we created. So therefore it was not silly to marry.

To me marriage is not the issue, it's whether it's silly to plan on being together for a lifetime. For some this will mean marriage, for others it won't.

If you went into every relationship on the basis that they may not last then that would substantially reduce the quality of the relationship and the likelihood of it lasting. It would become a self fullfilling prophecy. Realistically many/most relationships won't last forever, neither should they if they are bad ones. But I doubt those people would be any happier in the long term if they didn't hope, dream and emotionally invest themselves fully in what they wanted. And in the short term they would miss out on a lot. Life is risky, there's no way of insuring ourselves against pain and when we try to do so, our lives often become limited by our fears.

Relationships are like life, you can focus on the future and the uncertainties about what may/may not happen or you can concentrate on living it fully, right now. Of course most of us do both, but often we do too much of the former at the expense of the latter.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    My parents are going on 32 years, my grandparents have made it past 60. It IS possible, but it takes work. A lot of people are all about instant gratification these days and if they don't get what they want at home, they'll go looking elsewhere.

I might be single myself, but the internet has offered me a unique opportunity to talk to men and find out what makes things go bad in their own relationships... what makes them unhappy, what makes their eyes stray, etc. I hope that with this insight, I can avoid issues in my future relationships by avoiding these things.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I think this boils down to simple economics. If you cohabitate you gain all the financial advantages of economies of scale (sharing purchases of housing, food, vacations, etc. so you can't really count those as benefits to marriage. The only significant advantage of marriage is the tax breaks for filing jointly. Once you estimate your tax break you need to make assumptions about the number of years you reasonably expect to be married. For every year in the future you should discount the value of that tax break by the expected rate of return you would expect to receive on investments of similar risk. The sum of the these benefits is the Net Present Value of benefits from marriage. The costs include the price of the wedding, clerk fees for the marriage license and any back end fees caused by the dissolution of the marriage. If there is a prenup that should be included too. With the exception of the costs of dissolution, all these costs occur on or before the date of marriage so there is no discounting necessary. The dissolution costs should be appropriately discounted. These figures provide an estimate of the net present value of costs.

If the net present value of benefits is greater than the net present value of costs, it is worth it. Otherwise, it is not.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Marriage is not silly by any means, but it is work and both have to be committed.

Eta - I will not cohabitate with a guy before marriage (unless it was a platonic roommate), so I will have to be married before my BF or fiancé lives with me.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think this boils down to simple economics. If you cohabitate you gain all the financial advantages of economies of scale (sharing purchases of housing, food, vacations, etc. so you can't really count those as benefits to marriage. The only significant advantage of marriage is the tax breaks for filing jointly. Once you estimate your tax break you need to make assumptions about the number of years you reasonably expect to be married. For every year in the future you should discount the value of that tax break by the expected rate of return you would expect to receive on investments of similar risk. The sum of the these benefits is the Net Present Value of benefits from marriage. The costs include the price of the wedding, clerk fees for the marriage license and any back end fees caused by the dissolution of the marriage. If there is a prenup that should be included too. With the exception of the costs of dissolution, all these costs occur on or before the date of marriage so there is no discounting necessary. The dissolution costs should be appropriately discounted. These figures provide an estimate of the net present value of costs.

If the net present value of benefits is greater than the net present value of costs, it is worth it. Otherwise, it is not.

Phew- now all of my woe is me I secretly want to get married again feelings are put in perspective, AND the self pity that I didn't have a wedding or a ring the first time because we were idiot graduate students with no money is finally abated! It's simply cost volume profit analysis!

But for real, I used be a records research peon and was always reassured when working with marriage and divorce- lots more marriage.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

What are you using for your cost of capital?

--P
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I don't think it's silly to get married... but I do think the notion that it's suppose to be a comitment for life is. And the funny thing is people keep spending more and more money on weddings that don't seem to own up to the investment.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's silly to get married.

I think that the idea of instant gratification and the need for an "instant fix" in bad times is silly. This goes for both men and women. You go through a rough patch in the marriage and instead of working it out together, you find another means to patch the problem or satisfy yourself instead of the marriage. Or, those that do try to work through problems expect the results to be overnight. Nothing good ever came in an instant. All things are better with time and patience. True intimacy will grow through going through life's problems together. But, so many think just because there's an issue, it means their marriage has failed. That's silly to me.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I think marriage is silly because people rely on contracts and pieces of paper to bind them to each other on a legal level rather than focusing on the emotional connection. To me, being proposed to (or proposing) means more than a pseudo religious ceremony and government documents. A proposal is the moment you decided you want to spend the rest of your life together, and that you mutually agree you will work together to make it function. Communication, dedication, loyalty and mutual respect all mean more.

Then again, I don't even enter into relationships lightly because once I emotionally connect with someone I naturally do everything in my power to make it work.

Don't even get me started on how ridiculous I think weddings are :laugh:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Ridiculous or...

koozie7.jpg
    il_570xN.449023288_9vge.jpg
    74410_10151482217231926_181961767_n.jpg
    198633_420135218049758_786814258_n.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    906531_444733395608194_1649319687_o.jpg
    hobbiycake.jpg
    lotrcake.jpg
    cake1555.jpg
    205547170463991796_MsJ04i1O_f.jpg

www.whengeekswed.com
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think marriage is silly because people rely on contracts and pieces of paper to bind them to each other on a legal level rather than focusing on the emotional connection. To me, being proposed to (or proposing) means more than a pseudo religious ceremony and government documents. A proposal is the moment you decided you want to spend the rest of your life together, and that you mutually agree you will work together to make it function. Communication, dedication, loyalty and mutual respect all mean more.

Then again, I don't even enter into relationships lightly because once I emotionally connect with someone I naturally do everything in my power to make it work.

this!

I dont believe in marriage. It's a farce for about 75% of couples. And that guess is conservative......lol
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Dammit Cesar.

Now I want that stuff. I'm gonna have to go broke for this *kitten*.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    i want cake
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Dammit Cesar.

Now I want that stuff. I'm gonna have to go broke for this *kitten*.

Yep. I think I'm just going to select segments of the whole traditional matrimonial process and go from there. Do the engagement photos thing, and then maybe bring a 'wedding cake' to a pre-existing family dinner.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    No the Disney fantasy is obsolete.

The end.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    i want cake

Me too.... I really wish there was a bakery that sold wedding cake by the slice... but then again, my calories would be maxed out by lunch. So, probably not a good idea. :)