UK girls.. fractionals?

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
Hiya

Well, I'm not there yet but I can see that the day is coming especially for my upper body lifts. I can see that there are non-expensive options in the US but not sure what is available here.. anyone with any good solutions?

thanks! :)

Replies

• Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Id be interested in seeing the responses here :)
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I bought these from eBay last month - haven't had call to use them yet: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330866542227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

But they def fit the Oly bars, because I got partway through loading up this morning before having a complete maths fail. £39.99, quick delivery. The seller has other combinations of plates as well.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've posted my fix before, so if you're interested here's what I did:

I filled some old socks (holes, but clean!) with coins weighed on my food scale to the desired weight. Then I zip-stripped the ends of the socks together. Free (except for the coins, but mine were just sitting in a bowl anyway) and keeps a pair of socks out of the landfill....seems perfect for Earth Day!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I bought some ankle weights from tesco...one body. They have 300 g sections which you can take away/remove and add back in. They are 1.5 kg each with 5 of these sections...just under the usual 500 g fractionals which are the smallest I have seen for home gyms...but handy for us gals...a whole £7.52 for a pair, not bad...just strap them or hand them on the end of the bar.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/one-body-3kg-adjustable-anklewrist-weights/212-3496.prd
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the UK obviously, but I'm going to point y'all in the general area of 2-inch flat industrial washers, adjustable ankle/wrist weights, and homemade coin socks.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Homemade Coin Socks! Now that they have a name I think I'm gonna open an Etsy account and sell 'em!
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bought some off ebay for £22.99 including delivery for 8 X 250 gram weights. From reading the above this seems a bit expensive, but I love them! It really helps me to feel like I'm making progress, even if its only 500 grams heavier than last time!

Here is the link (I think)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230795637509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Plate Mates are awesome, can be found in the UK, but they're a bit on the pricey side. Basically, they're 1.25lb or 2.5lb magnets so obviously they won't work on rubber plates. I use them not only on my barbell weights but also slap them on the bottom of my kettlebells - much cheaper than investing in more kettlebells.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The set I linked is 2x0.5kg, 2x0.25kg and 2x0.125kg (or roughly, 2x1lb, 2x8oz, 2x4oz). The teeniest weights are so cute!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    thanks ladies, the tesco option seems the most practical for taking to the gym. not sure what the guys would make of coin socks in the testosterone zone lol!!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Tesco option "not enough stock to order in to store".. guess who scored the last set on the shelf this morning! Rawr! Here's hoping I don't need them for a little while though.

I've seen that they are in 300g pockets.. can you -imagine- how wrecked my maths is going to be now?!