Rapid weightloss = rapid HAIR LOSS!

Options
Btchymama
Btchymama Posts: 4 Member
Hello fellow WLS friends. I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips to slow down the hair loss from a rapid weightloss. I am really good at making sure I get 70-80 grams of protien a day and all my vitamin levels are bang on to where the should be, but my good lord it looks like I have small dog in my drain everytime I shower! I havn't been doing much processing to my hair just to not overstress my already stressed locks. My nutritionalist says it should start to slow in another month (6 months port RNY) but I think I may be rockin' a hat by that time!! Anyone have anything else I can try?

Thanks ~ Niki

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Some people seem to be more prone to hair loss than others. I was lucky enough to avoid it altogether. I also usually get a lot more protein, 120 grams most days, but at 6'3, I'm also probably a lot bigger than you are. Maybe try a little more protein.

Most answers for hair loss include biotin, which can come in everything from vitamins to shampoo. There is actually some new studies that say zinc is more important, which is pretty new.

Every single person I've known that lost hair says that it grows back at eight or nine months, so yours should be growing in soon. And really, hats aren't so bad.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Mine fell out the most between months 3-7. There really isnt anything you can do to stop it...just encourage new growth. Get your protein in, take your vitamins, biotin may help also. I took it for about the first 8 months. I used a gentle keratin infused shampoo to keep my hair healthy and strong. Don't pull it back too tight or too much and I cut back on blow dry styling as much as possible. If it starts to get too thin for your comfort a shorter and layered haircut can help you create the illusion of volume. Chin up...it grows back..promise! Mine is growing back in better than ever!

edited to fix my MANY typos!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Mine was also bad from month 3-7. By month 9 I could see lots of regrowth. Hang in there.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Mine was really bad too--huge amounts of it in the drain after my shower. It's growing back though. Don't worry too much about it--it will all be OK.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve and I had hair loss post op months 3-5. Really not anything that you can do about it. I took Biotin pre op and post op and used special hair loss shampoo from my hairdresser and I still lost it. I have thick hair so you couldn't tell but had my hairdresser to check it everymonth I went in for a cut or cut/color. It did stop in Dec and I had the surgery in June and I noticed the hair in the shower drain in Sept or so. Getting 80 grams or more of protein helps and I was and am getting up to 100 grams or more now and have been since probably Nov but those first few months it is tough and the first month or two I did have a rough time getting protein and more than 300 cals in for the day!
    Good luck!
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see this subject being discussed. I am now 4 months post op. I had the gastric sleeve done this past March and I am only now experiencing hair loss. The past 2 weeks have been incredible with the hair loss. My shower drain is so full of my hair falling out I could just cry. I have just changed my multi vitamins to Fusion and I am also taking vitamin D 5,000 iu everyother day. Last week I just added Andrew Lessman's(from HSN) hair, skin and nail formula that has mega doses of Biotin for my hair. I am taking Iron with calcium and I am hoping that in 30 days I see a big difference in hair loss. If there is anything you think I should add to this please let me know. I see that some of you are saying that hair loss stops around 7 or 8 months post op and I sure do hope this is true. I have upped my protein from 70-77 grams a day to 90 to 110 grams a day. I am so happy that I found you good folks.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    We just have to ride the wave. Yes we need to make sure we're getting our protein and taking the appropriate vitamins... but also hair loss often occurs several months after traumatic events such as surgery so the hair loss might have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss or diet!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 months out and noticed the hair loss at month 4. I took biotin since before surgery - still having loss! It seems to be slowing down a bit now. I did some reading and added zinc and Iron daily. In fact, biotin is unsupported by research but the zinc and iron connection seems to be a common theme. And of course, adequate protein. But as Jules said, just the trauma of surgery can cause this as well. It will pass! :wink:
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Same here...my hair would come out in handfuls. I just kept eating the protein and taking Biotin (which helps with hair/nails) and after awhile it slowed down.

When it's happening, its horrible, but it'll turn around!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am so very fortunate that I did not have to deal with much hair loss--maybe a strand or two extra when I dried or brushed my hair, but nothing to complain about. The texture was a lot drier than normal, but I am prone to dry hair anyway. I have the opposite problem. Lots and lots of hair on my head--I'd like to give some away, as I have to have it thinned out every time I have my hair cut. My biggest issue, and I have not taken any biotin, just my multi, calcium, iron, and B12, is that I have hair growing on my chin. Gray hairs that are stiff and horrible. I want them to go away! My oldest son jokes and tells me I am going to be the bearded lady in the circus if it doesn't slow down. And, for the record, even hot wax won't remove it. Have to tweeze them out daily.
  • lisa2job
    lisa2job Posts: 27
    Options
    mine also came out really bad about 4-8 months now it has slowed down and new hair is coming in , its grey gosh darn it but its regrowing thats all I can ask for