New to the group...

Options
kellieem
kellieem Posts: 53 Member
Hi everyone!

I just joined this group today because I really want to start lifting weights and have read a bit about Stronglifts 5x5. It looks like it would be a really good workout. I have yet to watch the videos, because I'm at work, but I'm planning on doing that tonight. I just wanted to ask a few questions to see what some other ladies have done.

Firstly, I don't have a home gym, so I would have to go to an actual gym to do this. I am super shy, and I really am afraid that when I go to the gym, I'll feel like people are judging me and my weakness. So how do you all, who go to gym, get over this (if you felt the same way).

Secondly, I don't have a work out partner, is that okay? Or should I try to find someone?

Thirdly, I'm still trying to get my eating figured out. I have no idea how many calories I should be eating. I'm 5' 7'' and weigh around 160. So I'm aiming for about 1700 a day, does this sound about right? I'd like to lose more weight but I also really want to be fit and strong and much happier than I am now.

Finally, I am training for a 10k race at the end of May, which means I'm running around four or five times a week because I'm following a training schedule. Do you think that I should start Stronglifts 5x5 now or weight until after I finish the race?

Sorry this is so long! Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I just joined today, too!

HI!!

I am lucky to live close to my dad who has a home gym. lots of bars and weight plates... but not Olympic- so IF I decide to do more than 200-250# I might need to buy my own bar and weights (It is a very big IF)

The book says you don't need a partner. or at least he doesn't have one. Just have good rack bar for supporting/holding the heavy weights (which for me won't be for a long while......)

Maybe you can have a personal trainer with you the first few times- not that you have to listen/learn from her, but that way people watching you will just figure you are doing what the trainer says.....

Good Luck! Have Fun!
  • fishlover888
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just joined this group today because I really want to start lifting weights and have read a bit about Stronglifts 5x5. It looks like it would be a really good workout. I have yet to watch the videos, because I'm at work, but I'm planning on doing that tonight. I just wanted to ask a few questions to see what some other ladies have done.

Firstly, I don't have a home gym, so I would have to go to an actual gym to do this. I am super shy, and I really am afraid that when I go to the gym, I'll feel like people are judging me and my weakness. So how do you all, who go to gym, get over this (if you felt the same way).

Secondly, I don't have a work out partner, is that okay? Or should I try to find someone?

Thirdly, I'm still trying to get my eating figured out. I have no idea how many calories I should be eating. I'm 5' 7'' and weigh around 160. So I'm aiming for about 1700 a day, does this sound about right? I'd like to lose more weight but I also really want to be fit and strong and much happier than I am now.

Finally, I am training for a 10k race at the end of May, which means I'm running around four or five times a week because I'm following a training schedule. Do you think that I should start Stronglifts 5x5 now or weight until after I finish the race?

Sorry this is so long! Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Welcome!!
    I think you are going to love stronglifts!! I used to be shy at the gym but honestly the more I lift the more confidant I feel, so just force yourself to get over that hurdle and it will feel great. Most of the ppl at the gym's I've been to are either helpful or ignore you, which is great.

Lifting partner would be fun, but is not necessary. The weight rack should have safety bars which you can change to different heights so that if you do have a problem (unlikely as that is) you won't drop anything on yourself.

Calories - definitely if you are training for a 10k and doing stronglifts you are probably going to have to eat more than 1700 to keep up with all that activity. How are you calculating what you are eating?

Starting now or after 10k - really depends on your goals! If you are going for a super great 10k time I'd concentrate on that. And it depends on your tolerance and how much you can do per week, if you can keep up with everything. But there is nothing wrong with doing running and weightlifting at the same time IMO. It's just that it's hard to build both endurance muscles and fast twitch muscle at the same time (some say impossible?) so one or the other will "suffer" - but that really only matters if you are competing!

This is just my advice of course. I'm relatively new to stronglifts, about 2 months in now. Best of luck both to you in your journey to bada$$ery!!
  • kellieem
    Options
    Hi!

Thank you both for your input. I've watched some of the videos and I don't know whether to feel more or less intimidated...

As for calories, I'm tracking with myfitnesspal, I'm not really measuring stuff, mostly eyeballing it... I calculated that by looking up my TDEE on a few different websites and I took about 20% away. I got different numbers on all the websites, so I took the average. That leaves me with ~1700 calories...

As for when I want to start it, I'm still pondering...
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety and was rather nervous about going to the gym. I just try to go during slower times of the day to avoid crowds. I also keep my ear-buds in so people are not as likely to disturb me and it helps me to stay focused on myself and not pay attention to others.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do Sl at home, utI was doing NROL4W at the gym. I went early mornings so it wasn't tht crowded. At first I kept my head down and hoped nobody was looking at me. But then I decided that I should be proud. Proud that I was doing this. So I started smiling at the guys, just a quick hello. That made it much more comfortable for me. I also learned that they are there to workout and really couldn't care less about the people around them

Go to the gym with your head held high, you will rock it!!!!
  • kellieem
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I think I've managed to talk my mom (as I currently live with her) into joining me for a little while, so that will make me feel better and make the gym a little less intimidating. We decided that we are going to start in a couple of weeks, but now that I've talked to her about it and looked at more videos, I'm actually looking forward to it!
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As for being nervous going into a gym...

I've found that people in the gym are most definitely *not* looking at me. Or anyone else.

The "pretty people" are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror--not anyone else.
    Or...and this just cracks me up...are busy texting while they're running on a treadmill.

personally, I look at people in the gym and think to myself, "YEAH!!! They're in here doing something great for themselves!"

It's okay to be shy. You don't have to talk with anybody. Just go do your thang. And you'll gain confidence a little more each time.

Go you!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    welcome!!

I used a session with a personal trainer, not to do stronglifts, but just to show me how the squat rack worked. it can be a little scary not knowing how to move the safety bars etc, so if you aren't certain do ask someone.

I don't have anyone to spot me (booo!) so learned the 'roll of shame' for bench presses (I've only had to use once!) and everything else is at floor level or in the rack with safety bars...

I've only had one bit of unsolicited advice, I've had a few compliments on my technique and people asking what I'm doing, and I try to be friendly in an appropriate way (eg if there's a guy in the rack next to me doing something different I might ask what exercise he's doing after he's finished a set, or if the bar's been left with a ludicrous amount of weight on it/plates all over the floor make some kind of comment about people clearing up after themselves). just to break the ice and be approachable, then get my game face on and get to it!

the more you do it, the more you'll feel you have the 'right' to be there. I take the view, I'm paying the same as they are to use the gym, I've got as much right to be using the kit too. At busy times you may get asked how many more sets you have to go - this isn't a cue to 'hurry up' and not take enough rest! you can say 'oh sorry I've only just started my working weight sets, but I'm happy to work in if you like'.. for me this is good because at the moment I'm on piddly weights compared to them, so except for one guy who did a warmup set while I was resting, most of them can't be bothered to cart lots of plates on and off the bar! It seems like a nice gesture though.

woo this is an essay sorry! basically, go, have fun, make sure your technique is good, and feel BAMF!
  • kellieem
    Options
    When I start (which I think will be this thursday), I'll definitely have to see if the "pretty" people are checking themselves out in the mirror, that sounds hilarious!

As for proper form, is this something that you pick up as you go along? I've looked at some of the videos and read through the proper form tips, but I'm still very unsure if I will do it right.

Also, something I'm a little confused about. For the warm-ups, if I'm start with just the 45 lb bar, as was recommended, what do I do to warm up??

Thank you everyone!!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelli!

I think proper form is picked up as you go---it's a bit of a learning process. I've been lifting for almost a year now, and I'm still reading articles on proper form and watching videos.

If you are starting with the 45 pound bar, just do body weight for warmups. Early on, you really only need warm up for the squats. Your body will be plenty warm after them for the other lifts.
  • kellieem
    Options
    Okay, thank you! I'm a little anxious about the whole thing and will probably re-watch the videos and read through the tips before I go!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was pretty anxious the first time I went, I nearly turned around and walked right out again but I remembered that I have just as much of a right to be in there. In five weeks I've never seen another girl in the weights area (apart from maybe to walk through it) and most of the guys are really just looking at themselves in the mirror doing isolation exercises. That's uni students for you I guess. I may have gotten through a whole litre of water just by constantly drinking between sets so I didn't feel too out of place but I'm over that now!

Just remember: the guys don't own the weights area, the gym does. You might feel watched or judged by 99% of that will be in your mind. Most people just want to get in, do their thing and get out. Good luck!
  • ShoeGal78
    ShoeGal78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've just started and I'm another one who is nervous to visit the weights area.. I'm getting more confident but mostly using dumbells apart from for the bench press. I know it's not ideal but will see how I get on until I start using heavier weights and then the squat rack will be a necessity! Currently I'm lifting the following:

Bench - 25kg
    Squat - 28kg
    Deadlift - 28kg
    Bent over row - 24kg
    Overhead Press - 20kg

The gym is fairly small so the main weights area gets pretty crowded anyway so it will never be ideal.

Anyway, I love lifting heavy and looking forward to progressing with the programme!
  • kellieem
    Options
    Thank you both for your input!

I just need to remember that I am paying just as much as everyone else and I have right to be there, like you said, ladyjoie. I know the gym I'll be going to is pretty small, so I'm worried about the weight area getting pretty crowded also! I'll see how that goes though... If I was still in university, I don't know if I would attempting this! I found that gym and all of the guys in it super intimidating!
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Glad your Mom is joining you! I can't even get my Mom to Zumba. She's one of those people who stays skinny without doing anything lol she does a lot of things around the house at least, but boy it'd be cool if she'd work out with me!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Welcome. Nice to have you here.

I´m new as well, have done StrongLifts less than a month. When I first came to the gym, I had no idea of doing anything, and there was no personal trainer or employees to ask (seriously- just and olderly woman who unlocked the doors. Do I have to say that it´s a small gym...?) I had done my homework and watched a lot of videos- I recommend watching Mark Rippetoe on youtube- and had a fairly good idea of how to do the exercises- in theory... :wink: but no idea at all how to use the equipment. There was another guy lifting, I simply asked him to help me.

You will discover that most guys are very friendly and willing to help. Just remember not to interrupt their sets, ask when they´re resting. A couple of times I also asked some of the guys to correct me, if they noticed I was doing anything wrong. Other than that, I´m doing my exercises facing the wall, not the mirror. That helps me to shut out other people- who really don´t care anyway- and concentrate on my own workout.

You just take a deep breath and go for it. You will have fun doing it!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I never chimed in and said "Hello!! Welcome!!" I hope you will love working out this way once you get into the swing of it.

Don't let anyone or anything get in the way of you being the absolute best that you can be today. :smile:
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Welcome!!!

I used to be all about cardio before I stumbled into 5x5....weights at the gym meant those machines....Free weight was "man-cave"... My gym is pretty big but they have just 2 squat racks...the first time I walked to one, I just wanted a hole to appear and swallow me up..I was the only female there and I didnt know what I was really doing or more importantly if I was doing it right....

Fast fwd to now...I walk up to the squat rack as if I own it...Put on my earphones, make myself comfortable and go at it...And no one is bothered with what I am doing...the guys are so busy admiring themselves and working out that they have no time to look at anybody... Some of them , if they talk, have only good things to say....I have asked for help at times and I get it...

Its so normal to feel intimidated but its goes away ...

All the best!!!
  • kellieem
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    My mom and I were supposed to start tonight, but we didn't because we were both so anxious. So we managed to talk each other out of it, as opposed to in to it. So I'm feeling pretty disappointed in myself right now...

But thank you for all of your responses!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    My mom and I were supposed to start tonight, but we didn't because we were both so anxious. So we managed to talk each other out of it, as opposed to in to it. So I'm feeling pretty disappointed in myself right now...

But thank you for all of your responses!

Oh come on, you can do eet!!!

Tell your mom I'm 45 and never touched a barbell until this year. And I love it!! Just go at it slowly and it'll be alright.

You got this!