Rest days?

Options
Hi, I'm new to the group and have been wondering about rest days. I'm not training for a specific race, but just looking to increase my distance and endurance overall. I average 2-3 miles a day, never any less, sometimes a bit more. I don't like the idea of not running everyday, but I do have days where I only do light jogging with fast walking intervals.

Is resting, as in absolutely no jogging, really necessary?

I don't know if this matters, but I also do other exercising: yoga, strength training, etc. almost daily as well.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi, I wasn't too fond of rest days either but your body needs time for the muscles to repair themselves properly. By rest day they mean a day not running but most runners will cycle or do something else low impact on these days.

I'm running about 40 miles a week and I take between 2 and 3 rest days.

I know I ran for months with little or no breaks when I started because I loved it but it was only when I had to stop for a few days for work commitments did I start to feel all the strains and damage I had caused. It would have been similar weekly distances to you around 18 to 20 miles a week.

For me, rest days stop this damage accumulating but you know your own body best.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my 1/2 I had one rest day a week and ran 3 days a week with cross training 3 days a week. I gradually increased my mileage but always had a rest day. I like it because it keeps me from burn out.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I usually run 4 times a week (Mon, Tue, Thu and Sat), and and "rest" the other three days, 1 with cross training and the other two I rest completely! It's good remember, the days of rest still are "training days" 'cause so do it right! Our body are just improving itself for the next days of work out.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You need at lest one rest day per week and by rest day I mean resting from everything, not cross-training. I usually take two to three rest days per week but my runs are 4 to 7 miles each and my weekly long run is usually between 8 and 10 miles (litle more now because I'm training for a half). So if you run 2-3 miles each time one rest day should be enough. Never forget to listen to your body though!
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like to swim a good bit on days I don't run. It works my upper body and core. My legs definitely need a day off every now and then to recover, and also to prevent injury.