Looking for friends in OA

Options
bluejy4
bluejy4 Posts: 9 Member
Hi all. I have been a COE for as long as I can remember, but it has gotten a lot worse since I had kids. I've attended online OA meetings and have gotten some counseling, but I can't seem to stay abstinent for very long at all. I am looking for friends that can relate to this and hopefully we can help each other stay on track to getting healthier!:smile::heart:

Replies

• Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So glad you found our group!!! I sent you a friend request -- looking forward to mutual support.
    :flowerforyou:
  • sheldonbe
    sheldonbe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I've sent you a friend request.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Glad you're hear. FR sent!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stay abstinent for longer than a week, and couldn't belive that people actually remained abstinent for years. OA was a revolving door, but once I started to work the steps with a sponsor and eliminated those trigger foods, sanity started to set in. Not that it's all roses and unicorns, but I don't have to binge over issues anymore, and I have a realistic plan that I can live with. Hang in there, we can all relate!
  • mhcook
    mhcook Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello, I will send a friend request, let's be here for each other.
  • clanmomma
    clanmomma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar story. i have attended a few meetings and bought two books. But there are few in my area and none are closer than a 30 minute drive for me. With a large family, a close knit friend group and a full time career, it is hard to take two or more hours out of my schedule with out it causing an eating trigger for me. At his point I am not even sure where I can go to get the rest of my books.

I do not have a sponsor, I do not have all my books but I do have my first coin. By my count I have earned my first coin about 50 times! It is so hard to abstain and stay there with all the birthdays and holidays we get together over. I am the worst at the thought "well, it is a special day. This should not hurt too bad." Then I am off the wagon for a month or more.

I would love more friends and support for this, but i must say, it is really hard for me to ask for it.
  • sheldonbe
    Options
    I have a very similar story. i have attended a few meetings and bought two books. But there are few in my area and none are closer than a 30 minute drive for me. With a large family, a close knit friend group and a full time career, it is hard to take two or more hours out of my schedule with out it causing an eating trigger for me. At his point I am not even sure where I can go to get the rest of my books.

I do not have a sponsor, I do not have all my books but I do have my first coin. By my count I have earned my first coin about 50 times! It is so hard to abstain and stay there with all the birthdays and holidays we get together over. I am the worst at the thought "well, it is a special day. This should not hurt too bad." Then I am off the wagon for a month or more.

I would love more friends and support for this, but i must say, it is really hard for me to ask for it.
    Welcome to the group, and congratulations on your first coin. You've obviously been making the effort already, and you've taken another step in the right direction by coming here and seeking out kindred spirits. I'll be sending you a friend request.

By the way if you want to order the remaining books online, you can do so through the online OA bookstore. That is where I have gotten my materials. Here is the link: http://bookstore.oa.org/category/Books
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am happy to be friends with anyone here who is in OA. I have been working the steps and abstinent since November 2011 and this is the only time in my life ever where I have lost this much weight and one day at a time can say I have peace of mind with regard to my food. Of course the rest of my life isn't all sunshine and smiles because that's life but I do know that I have a way to deal with it even though I am no saint and am most definitely a work in progress :)

" I put my hand in yours and together we can do what we could never do alone. No longer is there a sense of hopelessness. No longer must we each depend upon our own unsteady willpower. We are all together now, reaching out our hands for power and strength greater than our own. And as we join hands we find love and understanding beyond our wildest dreams" :heart:
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me; i am a "friend of Bill W" :)
  • KHoiriis
    KHoiriis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Lets start off with I dont want to be here. Ugh. Nothing to do with you fine people, I just want to be able to do this without OA. But I cant!!!

10 years ago I was the "Poster Child" for OA. I went to meeting, I had a "grey sheet" food plan, I MELTED away. 130 lbs in 9 months! And DAMN I looked and felt great! That lasted 2 years, then I started drinking, stopped going to meetings, and was living the life of a 20 something for the next 2 years. Then my kid got sick, I had to stop drinking, I went back to meetings, I had to. I lost the weight again quickly. However I felt so ashamed of myself, like how could i give all that up. I maintained the weight loss for 2 more years. Then hubby and I bought a business, it sank and took our life savings with it. We are still digging ourselves out of that whole. The depression and working 2 jobs has made it difficult. I let everything go. I am morbidly obese again. My body sweats in the folds, every one of my joints ache, I have virtually no energy. Hubby and I talk about losing weight for all the right reasons, but it only lasts a week. Finally I had a breaking point the other night... a "bottom" so to speak. Pardon my bluntness on this one folks.... But my ability to be a wife and participate in matrimony activities is too hard for my body! WTF! I am only 39, we should be having the time of our life!

So today is day 3. "Grey Sheet" food plan again. I know this plan works for me, I know I can do it. I know that being thin, being healthy FEELS better than anything TASTES.

So I need support, I need friends, I need you. Please friend me! Thank you.
  • sheldonbe
    Options
    Welcome to the Board KHoiriis and welcome back to OA. This is a great group of people, and though the board isn't the most active, everyone here is very supportive and familiar with the journey. Friend request incoming. :)
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    welcome! I will add you. It does work if you work it ... so let's all work it together!
  • pinkfanatic68
    pinkfanatic68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm Pink Fanatic and I'm a compulsive eater altogether. Officially today I'd be considered EDNOS according to the present DSM criteria. My first time going through in-patient treatment specializing in eating disorders, both substance abuse and eating disorder patients were treated together, using the 12 steps. Because I can't drive and I don't live on/near public transit, I can't get to in-person meetings. However, I'm NOT new to the 12 steps. You might say my recovery/abstinence is very precarious at this time. Insane is more like it. I'm looking to meet others in here for support.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hi Pink,
    If you can't attend Face to Face meetings, there are online and phone meetings as well. Sometimes when I can't make it to a meeting, I tune in for a sanity check. You can find support here as well.